What's your favorite all-purpose lens?

Old November 29th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

Default What's your favorite all-purpose lens?

You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

Dick
Old November 29th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

dickr2 wrote:
You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

Voigtlander 40mm f/2 pancake on FX. It's really small, plenty sharp,
capable of achieving selective focus and just a little wider than normal
for street shooting or groups of people indoors... then my 85mm f/2.8 PC
Micro Nikkor tilt lens which is great for closeups controlling selective
focus placement and an all around easy focal length for longer landscape
shots, portraits, architectural details... I could get by with just
those two lenses, though the 85 would put a big bulge in my coat pocket
g. For less bulge, maybe the old 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E Nikon manual
focus AiS. 150mm f/3.5 is pretty useful.
Old November 29th 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:23:43 -0600, dickr2
wrote:

You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (5.3x)

It's a big lump of glass but then the D300 is not a small camera.

Eric Stevens
Old November 29th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
shiva das

In article ,
dickr2 wrote:

You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

Dick

I don't have any "all-purpose" lenses. The concept sounds like one of
those multi-blade Swiss Army knives -- lots of miniaturized tools that
are impossible to use properly and doesn't fit in your pocket. My choice
of lens (and camera) is based on what I'm shooting and why.
Old November 29th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

On 11/29/10 PDT 11:23 AM, dickr2 wrote:
You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

My 24-105 is the default lens for my Canon 5D. I tend to put longer
lenses on my 50D.
Also, I found a LowePro bag that just fits same with lens hood in place,
so I keep it ready to go that way.
--
john mcwilliams

Old November 29th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"dickr2" wrote in message
You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

Dick

Since I own at least one of every Canon lens made for the Canon FX
(1964-69), selection would be tough. Last summer I went 'cross country to
visit family and took about 12 camera bodies and 30 lenses.
For general purposes, I would take either the 55-135mm or the 85-310mm zoom
lenses. The smaller zoom is just slightly larger than two normal lenses and
fairly lightweight. The larger zoom is big- about 15" long by about 4"
diameter- and heavy- maybe ten pounds- but it's size actually makes it easy
to handhold.
The one lens that I would not select on a whim is the 1200mm. At 40" long
and about 30 pounds weight, it's not really a walk-around lens!

Old November 30th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-11-29 14:23 , dickr2 wrote:
You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

I don't have a favourite. The only "walk about" lens I have is the
Minolta 28-70 f/2.8. A sharp, fast lens - but a poor walkabout lens due
to its narrow zoom range.

I hardly ever travel without some 6 lenses in the bag, damn the weight.

20 f/28
50 f/1.7
100 f/2.8 macro
135 f/1.8
28-70 f/2.8
80-200 f/2.8

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old November 30th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 11/29/2010 11:23 AM dickr2 spake thus:

You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

Canon FD 35-105 that came with my Canon A-1, which is where it lives
most of the time.

Old November 30th 10, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Reilly

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:47:00 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:
Voigtlander 40mm f/2 pancake on FX. It's really small, plenty sharp,
capable of achieving selective focus and just a little wider than normal
for street shooting or groups of people indoors... then my 85mm f/2.8 PC
Micro Nikkor tilt lens which is great for closeups controlling selective

Second the Voigtlander 40mm. It's on my D700 at the moment, and I'm
about to take it for a walk. I oscillate between that one and my ZF2
85mm, which is great for taking photos of elements (as well as portraits
at so on.) The ZF85 is much larger, though, so I don't carry it around
in a pocket, either.

focus placement and an all around easy focal length for longer landscape
shots, portraits, architectural details... I could get by with just
those two lenses, though the 85 would put a big bulge in my coat pocket
g. For less bulge, maybe the old 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E Nikon manual
focus AiS. 150mm f/3.5 is pretty useful.

I don't like my only zoom (24-120 that I got on the camera.) Perhaps one
day I'll find one I do like...

Cheers,

--
Andrew
Old November 30th 10, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete[_9_]

On 2010-11-29 19:23:43 +0000, dickr2 said:

You're going out for the day, maybe just to walk around, visit
friends, etc., and you don't want to carry a camera bag with a
bunch of lenses. What would be your favorite lens?
Mine would be an old Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.5 that I use
on my Canon FD bodies. Close focus to 9", sharp glass.
It has served me well for the last 20 years.
How about you?

My 180 mm f/2.8 AF Nikkor has produced my best images, partly because
it's a good optic, mainly because its angle of view makes me think hard
before I press the shutter.

--
Pete