The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

Old September 9th 10, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:45:51 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
Canon PowerShot G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp

Specs here in .pdf format:
http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Looks good!

X-posted to rec.photo.digital

Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?

;-)
Old September 9th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 9/9/2010 4:26 AM, Bowser wrote:
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:45:51 +0100,

Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
Canon PowerShot G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp

Specs here in .pdf format:
http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Looks good!

X-posted to rec.photo.digital

Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?

;-)

Given the reputation of the P6000, I'm surprised Nikon is trying again
in this segment. I already see problems with the design of the P7000.
Old September 9th 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
Canon PowerShot G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp

Specs here in .pdf format:
http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Looks good!

X-posted to rec.photo.digital

Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?

;-)

Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?

Like a mouse bragging about it's size, really. The optical viewfinder
on the G series has always been utter crap. If Nikon can show a mere
90% of the image, then it's better. But it still sux.

The images will tell all, but so far, nothing to see there.
Old September 9th 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
Canon PowerShot G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp

Specs here in .pdf format:
http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Looks good!

X-posted to rec.photo.digital

Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?

;-)

Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

I guess getting ISO 3200 at full resolution using the same size sensor
as the G11 is one thing. The G11 does a resolution change for low light
ISO 3200 (2.5MP 1824x1368 732KB from 10MP 3648x2736 1.47 MB) Noisy, but
usable in a pinch. I would be interested to see some real World ISO
3200 shots from the P7000.
Most of the dpreview sample images are at ISO 100 with a couple at ISO
800 the performance there seems to match the G11. There are no ISO 3200
samples, and I suspect it will be as noisy at 3200 as the G11. You will
have captured an image, but not a clean one. I still think the outer
limit for these small sensors is ISO 1600 in a pinch, but realistically
topping out at 800.

Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?

15-all. ;-)

It would have been nice if they had put a physically larger 10MP sensor
in that P7000 so there would be a good reason to buy one as an upgrade
from my G11. The 720p video makes no difference to me one way or
another as I hardly use video in any of my cameras which have the
feature. There are a couple of interesting features, including being
able to get I-TTL via my SB-800, but not enough for me to spend the
$500 right now.

Savageduck

Old September 10th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

wrote:
Bruce wrote:

[...]

When I can get my hands on a sample, (I suspect that will be at PhotoExpo in
October,) I will see for myself and run my own ISO tests. However, I
strongly suspect that 800 may be barely usable.

--
Peter