Resdy to buy

Old September 4th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jim

Default Resdy to buy

I've putzed around with digital cameras for years and am now ready to take
the plunge and purchase a DSLR. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a Canon EOS
Rebel XSi. Any input from you posters would be appreciated. Really I don't
want to compare brands, just some input with Canon cameras and their
reliability, photo quality, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Old September 5th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 05/09/2010 00:40, jim wrote:
I've putzed around with digital cameras for years and am now ready to
take the plunge and purchase a DSLR. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a
Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Any input from you posters would be appreciated.
Really I don't want to compare brands, just some input with Canon
cameras and their reliability, photo quality, etc., would be greatly
appreciated.

That's what I have. Very nice camera for the price, even nicer when you
fit it with good lenses (the 18-55 IS kit lens isn't bad for the price,
but you can find significantly better) because it's good enough to merit
them. I had a slight mishap (built-in flash got stuck and would not pop
out) fixed under warranty, otherwise I'm not over-careful with my gear
and it's still in good shape after two years.
--
Bertrand
Old September 5th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

jim wrote:

I've putzed around with digital cameras for years and am now ready to take
the plunge and purchase a DSLR. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a Canon EOS
Rebel XSi. Any input from you posters would be appreciated. Really I
don't want to compare brands, just some input with Canon cameras and
their reliability, photo quality, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the criticisms of that camera can be solved by avoiding the basic
zone modes and shooting raw. You should do that anyway, but it means you
avoid problems like auto selection of the wrong AF point, no ability to
compensate the exposure, and disappointing auto white balance.

I don't know about other Canon series or other brands, but a significant
number of Rebels are delivered with poor autofocus calibration. I had my
450D and three lenses calibrated by Canon in Sydney and now it performs
superbly, so there's nothing wrong with the design or build. It can take
several trips and some effort to get it sorted (see
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...sage=31555078).

I haven't tried one myself, but users of both claim that the 550D is
significantly better (IQ, AF, etc.), and well worth the cost over the 450D.
If you don't want video and need to minimise spending, you won't be
disappointed with a well-calibrated 450D.

Old September 5th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Superzooms Still Win

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 01:23:21 +0200, Ofnuts
wrote:

On 05/09/2010 00:40, jim wrote:
I've putzed around with digital cameras for years and am now ready to
take the plunge and purchase a DSLR. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a
Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Any input from you posters would be appreciated.
Really I don't want to compare brands, just some input with Canon
cameras and their reliability, photo quality, etc., would be greatly
appreciated.

That's what I have. Very nice camera for the price, even nicer when you
fit it with good lenses (the 18-55 IS kit lens isn't bad for the price,
but you can find significantly better) because it's good enough to merit
them. I had a slight mishap (built-in flash got stuck and would not pop
out) fixed under warranty, otherwise I'm not over-careful with my gear
and it's still in good shape after two years.

If you're going to go with any kit lens, you might as well buy any of the
excellent superzoom cameras these days, with even more aperture at the long
focal-lengths than are available for any DSLR. See this comparison for an
example where an inexpensive 20x superzoom lens easily beats the image
quality of a DSLR and easy to design 3x kit lens.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

The same lens is also available on the SX20 and SX1.

Expect to pay about $6500 more (I did the math) in DSLR glass if you want
to obtain just as good image quality with the same zoom range in a DSLR as
already exists in a $300-$350 superzoom.

Buying a DSLR is called a "scam", ever hear of that word before?
Old September 5th 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"jim" wrote in message
I've putzed around with digital cameras for years and am now ready to take
the plunge and purchase a DSLR. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a Canon EOS
Rebel XSi. Any input from you posters would be appreciated. Really I
don't want to compare brands, just some input with Canon cameras and
their reliability, photo quality, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

You certainly set out troll bait. However, if you can get to a brick and
mortar store, pick the one you feel handles best for you. However, you never
state what type of photography you plan to do. For general purpose, what you
propose wily be just fine. Even if you make a mistake, it's only money and
correct it on the next upgrade.

Enjoy

--
Peter

Old September 5th 10, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

news
wrote:

On 05/09/2010 00:40, jim wrote:
[...]

the above words came from a sick troll and cannot be relied upon.

--
Peter

Old September 5th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Superzooms Still Win

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:22:06 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
I've putzed around with digital cameras for years and am now ready to take
the plunge and purchase a DSLR. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a Canon EOS
Rebel XSi. Any input from you posters would be appreciated. Really I
don't want to compare brands, just some input with Canon cameras and
their reliability, photo quality, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

You certainly set out troll bait. However, if you can get to a brick and
mortar store, pick the one you feel handles best for you. However, you never
state what type of photography you plan to do. For general purpose, what you
propose wily be just fine. Even if you make a mistake, it's only money and
correct it on the next upgrade.

Keeping in mind that any salesperson in any camera store has a
financially-biased conflict-of-interest that is too great to give you the
best advice. If they can sell you a camera that will ensure that you have
to be back to the store to buy another $6,000 worth of accessory lenses,
sturdy and expensive tripod to be able to use any of the longer lenses,
sensor cleaning kit, strong pack to store it all in, etc.; or sell you a
one-time-sale-only camera that you can carry in one roomy pocket with
equivalent image quality for $350; guess which camera they are going to
STRONGLY advise that you buy?

Old September 5th 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

Troll point proven. Knew it couldn't resist.

--
Peter

Old September 5th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Superzooms Still Win

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:52:00 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
[...]

Only proving that you've NEVER been in any camera store before. Or you'd
know that what I typed is the truth. Hell, you haven't even owned any
camera before, you're just another pretend-photographer TROLL parroting
what you read all the other pretend-photographers spew. Also proved.