Now I'd like to defend a plastic's company, if I might

Old September 2nd 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default Now I'd like to defend a plastic's company, if I might

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:10:42 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

Even in the 70s I could go into local stores to make my purchases. My
account would be charged without anything more than a greeting. I didn't
even have to sign. they knew me as a person, not a number. I still have a
house account at the pharmacy's business successor. If I pick up at the
store, I sign. When they deliver they leave it at my door. Since 1971, we
have never had a problem.

I've never lived in an area (as an adult) where that was possible.
That's a small town or tightly-knit neighborhood thing. Very
possible in a major city, but only in an area of a major city or
suburb where there's a great deal of stability in the neighborhood and
family or church connections.

Since college, I've only lived in "new" neighborhoods, and not in an
area where my parents lived. The situation you describe is usually
(but not always) where your family dealt with the same place over the
years and you inherited the trust.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 2nd 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

We moved into the area in 1971. It was simply the way business was done
here. Sadly, now, unless they know you, it is not the case.

--
Peter

Old September 2nd 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup. Very much a small town America thing. My uncle and aunt in Utica
NY, had that type of arrangement at several stores away from the "main
street" stores on Genesee St. My father and my uncle had a similar
arrangement at a local gas station. That always proved useful for a
certain teenager needing a tankful of gas when he was broke. (Those
folks at that gas station knew me well. The ongoing debate with my
father was another issue.)

In more recent times, my wife and I had a cardless, signature account
at a family owned department store in San Luis Obispo, California. In
1987, that store was bought out by Gotschalks, which as a victim of the
recession, went belly up last year.

Currently, I have a couple of "settle things up once a month"
arrangements at a few establishments in Paso Robles.

It is nice to have long term relationships with local businesses, and
not to have to worry too much about carrying cash, or loading up a
credit card account.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-09-02 08:27:42 -0700, tony cooper

wrote:

[...]

I think it's not so much small town thing as a small business thing.
When my younger daughter lived in the City even her cat had a charge account
at a local pet supply store. Her cat never paid the bill, but she did it for
him.

In more recent times, my wife and I had a cardless, signature account at a
family owned department store in San Luis Obispo, California. In 1987,
that store was bought out by Gotschalks, which as a victim of the
recession, went belly up last year.

Currently, I have a couple of "settle things up once a month" arrangements
at a few establishments in Paso Robles.

It is nice to have long term relationships with local businesses, and not
to have to worry too much about carrying cash, or loading up a credit card
account.

Yup! It's that same feeling I get when I go to my favorite sushi place and
they place my partially full bottle of sake on the table. I enjoy going
there even though I do not have a house account. It's really more about the
feeling that we are appreciated as people. The typical indifferent attitude
of the employees in most places today, really turns me off. Sometimes
though, we are pleasantly surprised. Most of the employees at a local Target
store are quite friendly and helpful. So much so that I wrote a letter to
the top management complimenting the local store manager. I told them that
it must be that the manager is dong all the right things, because it was not
just one employee.

--
Peter

Old September 2nd 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 02/09/2010 19:16, Peter wrote:

Yup! It's that same feeling I get when I go to my favorite sushi place
and they place my partially full bottle of sake on the table. I enjoy
going there even though I do not have a house account. It's really more
about the feeling that we are appreciated as people. The typical
indifferent attitude of the employees in most places today, really turns
me off. Sometimes though, we are pleasantly surprised. Most of the
employees at a local Target store are quite friendly and helpful. So
much so that I wrote a letter to the top management complimenting the
local store manager. I told them that it must be that the manager is
dong all the right things, because it was not just one employee.

That's the last thing to do. He will get a promotion, and leave the
local store for the headquarters!

--
Bertrand
Old September 2nd 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On 2010-09-02 08:27:42 -0700, tony cooper

wrote:

[...]

The trick, now, is to find a "local" store. They're all chain
outlets. The only independent pet supply stores in this area are fish
stores.

Just a wild guess, but I think that the type of establishment that is
most likely - today - to extend credit to customers is the
neighborhood bar.

At the opposite extreme, the dry cleaner that I go to requires payment
in advance, and doesn't accept credit cards. The owner said he was
tired of people leaving clothes in his place for months before picking
them up and paying for the service. He feels that if they pay in
advance they'll want them back faster.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 3rd 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Ofnuts" wrote in message
On 02/09/2010 19:16, Peter wrote:

Yup! It's that same feeling I get when I go to my favorite sushi place
and they place my partially full bottle of sake on the table. I enjoy
going there even though I do not have a house account. It's really more
about the feeling that we are appreciated as people. The typical
indifferent attitude of the employees in most places today, really turns
me off. Sometimes though, we are pleasantly surprised. Most of the
employees at a local Target store are quite friendly and helpful. So
much so that I wrote a letter to the top management complimenting the
local store manager. I told them that it must be that the manager is
dong all the right things, because it was not just one employee.

That's the last thing to do. He will get a promotion, and leave the local
store for the headquarters!

I certainly hope so. The good man deserves it, too. We can only hope that
this will set some example for others to follow. There are far too many
people who show up for a paycheck, rather than to work.

--
Peter
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.

Old September 3rd 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

It would be easy for me to say that he would not be my dry cleaner, unless
he was the only game in town, but I'm sure it's his way of trying to cope.
Not picking up clothes is an age old problem in that business. When the
economy is booming, eventually the cash flow equalizes. In this economy it
must be difficult in that business. When money gets tight for consumers,
they tend to touch up the pressing at home, remove the stains with a stain
remover and even wear a lot more polyester and other permanent press
clothing. (Even in the summer.) I hear the clothing business at thrift
stores is booming.

--
Peter

Old September 3rd 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:18:35 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

He's convenient, but no more convenient that several other dry
cleaners. I can't think of a single reason to prefer him over any
other dry cleaner. I go there out of habit.

His policy doesn't bother me. He's doing what he thinks is necessary
to hold his prices and stay in business. As a former business owner,
I can relate to that.

Old September 3rd 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

That's business. I am not certain I would have made the same decision in his
place. If enough of his customers have your attitude, he will remain in
business.

--
Peter