Canon T2i RAW in Photoshop CS3

Old September 3rd 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Canon T2i RAW in Photoshop CS3

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:34:05 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:
:
: "JimG" wrote:
:
: My question then become, other than the conversion step, is do the DNG
: photos contain all of the information that was contained in the CR2
: photos?
:
: I'm quite sure that the only thing you'd lose would be mfr-specific things,
: such as "Picture Style" and the other in-camera jpeg settings.
:
: Is there any advantage to savings the CR2 photos once they are converted
: to DNG photos?
:
: If you want to see how Canon's DPP does on your files, you need the CR2
: files. I not a DPP fan, but a lot of people insist that its conversion is
: better for both detail and skin color than Adobe's conversion.

I'm a DPP user; but I won't make that claim, because I've never used
Photoshop's conversion.

But what I do know is that DPP has always had some hooks to interface with
Photoshop. So you might check to see whether DPP makes its RAW files more
Photoshop-friendly in that context than when they're fed directly to
Photoshop.

Bob
Old September 3rd 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 00:57:26 -0400, "JimG"
wrote:
: I checked Amazon and the CS3CS5 is ~$200 but the upgrade CS3CS5 Extended
: is ~$400. The upgrade for the full web suite is ~$850.
:
: This is food for thought but not this week after dropping $900 for the T2i.

I think you'll like your T2i, though. My wife has one, and it produces very
nice images.

Bob
Old September 4th 10, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ron

"JimG" wrote in message
My T2i arrived this week and, as I was happily snapping test photos and
recognize the T2i's RAW format. I goggled for some help and, as I
understand it, 5.6 is the last Camera RAW plug-in update for CS3 and 5.7
is the first plug-in update that includes the T2i. In other words, I
can't use Canon's native RAW ( .CR2) in Photoshop CS3 as I had hoped.

After some more goggling it appears I can load the 5.6 update into
Photoshop CS3, run the T2i RAW photos (with a .CR2 extension) through the
Adobe DNG Converter, and then open those converted RAW photos (now with a
.DNG extension) in Photoshop. This seems to work.

My question then become, other than the conversion step, is do the DNG
photos contain all of the information that was contained in the CR2
photos? Is there any advantage to savings the CR2 photos once they are
converted to DNG photos?

You might try:

http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm

It won't replace your CS3, but it will convert your RAW photos to TIFF or
JPG and allow a number of adjustments during the conversion. You can
download a copy for a free trial.

Ron

Old September 4th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 10-09-04 2:25 , Ron wrote:

You might try:

http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm

Adobe's DNG converter is free of charge (unlike Breeze).

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old September 4th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:25:37 -0600, "Ron" wrote:
:
: "JimG" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Digital Photo Professional does pretty much the same thing and is free to a
user of any moderately serious Canon camera. A CD containing it is included
with the T2i, and the latest updates are available on the Canon Web site.

Bob
Old September 4th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald[_6_]

On 9/4/2010 12:27 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

Digital Photo Professional does pretty much the same thing and is free to a
user of any moderately serious Canon camera. A CD containing it is included
with the T2i, and the latest updates are available on the Canon Web site.

I do use DPP. However, the results are frequently inferior to using Photoshop CS2
and its converter (for my Canon 30D). The killer is blown highlights. DPP
simply won't let you expose as much without ruined highlights. I take
lots of photos of things like waterfalls, and this is a big problem
because of the large dynamic range.

Doug McDonald
Old September 4th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:39:21 -0500, Doug McDonald
wrote:
: On 9/4/2010 12:27 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
:
:
: Digital Photo Professional does pretty much the same thing and is free to a
: user of any moderately serious Canon camera. A CD containing it is included
: with the T2i, and the latest updates are available on the Canon Web site.
:
: I do use DPP. However, the results are frequently inferior to using Photoshop
: CS2 and its converter (for my Canon 30D). The killer is blown highlights.
: DPP simply won't let you expose as much without ruined highlights. I take
: lots of photos of things like waterfalls, and this is a big problem
: because of the large dynamic range.

What is CS2 (or its successors) able to do for blown highlights that DPP cna't
do? If the RAW image has a pure white pixel, what can a photo editor do with
it, other than graying it down? And how is that different from simply lowering
the contrast or the color saturation?

Bob