Canon T2i RAW in Photoshop CS3

Old September 2nd 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimG

Default Canon T2i RAW in Photoshop CS3

My T2i arrived this week and, as I was happily snapping test photos and
recognize the T2i's RAW format. I goggled for some help and, as I
understand it, 5.6 is the last Camera RAW plug-in update for CS3 and 5.7 is
the first plug-in update that includes the T2i. In other words, I can't use
Canon's native RAW ( .CR2) in Photoshop CS3 as I had hoped.

After some more goggling it appears I can load the 5.6 update into Photoshop
CS3, run the T2i RAW photos (with a .CR2 extension) through the Adobe DNG
Converter, and then open those converted RAW photos (now with a .DNG
extension) in Photoshop. This seems to work.

My question then become, other than the conversion step, is do the DNG
photos contain all of the information that was contained in the CR2 photos?
Is there any advantage to savings the CR2 photos once they are converted to
DNG photos?

Old September 2nd 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"JimG" wrote:

My question then become, other than the conversion step, is do the DNG
photos contain all of the information that was contained in the CR2
photos?

I'm quite sure that the only thing you'd lose would be mfr-specific things,
such as "Picture Style" and the other in-camera jpeg settings.

Is there any advantage to savings the CR2 photos once they are converted
to DNG photos?

If you want to see how Canon's DPP does on your files, you need the CR2
files. I not a DPP fan, but a lot of people insist that its conversion is
better for both detail and skin color than Adobe's conversion.

I'd recommend biting the bullet and upgrading to CS5. Then you don't have to
futz with DNG. Also, the latest version of camera raw has improved noise
reduction and a few other improvements as well. It is pricey, though.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 2nd 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , JimG
wrote:

My T2i arrived this week and, as I was happily snapping test photos and
recognize the T2i's RAW format. I goggled for some help and, as I
understand it, 5.6 is the last Camera RAW plug-in update for CS3 and 5.7 is
the first plug-in update that includes the T2i. In other words, I can't use
Canon's native RAW ( .CR2) in Photoshop CS3 as I had hoped.

cs3 uses camera raw 4.x.
cs4 uses 5.x.
cs5 uses 6.x.

After some more goggling it appears I can load the 5.6 update into Photoshop
CS3, run the T2i RAW photos (with a .CR2 extension) through the Adobe DNG
Converter, and then open those converted RAW photos (now with a .DNG
extension) in Photoshop. This seems to work.

either you have cs4 & 5.6 or cs3 & 4.6. cs3 will not see camera raw 5.

however, you can use the dng converter to convert your raw file to dng,
as long as it supports your camera. once it's dmg, use that in almost
any app that can handle dng, including photoshop cs3 with an older
camera raw. the latest camera raw is 6.2 and you might as well use
that.

My question then become, other than the conversion step, is do the DNG
photos contain all of the information that was contained in the CR2 photos?
Is there any advantage to savings the CR2 photos once they are converted to
DNG photos?

theoretically no, but there might be minor things missing like metadata.
Old September 2nd 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , David J.
Littleboy wrote:

I'd recommend biting the bullet and upgrading to CS5. Then you don't have to
futz with DNG. Also, the latest version of camera raw has improved noise
reduction and a few other improvements as well. It is pricey, though.

yep, camera raw 6 is much better, but it should work in photoshop
elements which is not pricey. or, get lightroom instead and keep cs3
for more elaborate retouching if needed.
Old September 2nd 10, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kyle Abhams

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:38:04 -0700, nospam wrote:

In article , JimG
wrote:

[...]

Or you could use PhotoLine and not bother with any of this nonsense.

Old September 2nd 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , David J.
Littleboy wrote:

I'd recommend biting the bullet and upgrading to CS5. Then you don't have
futz with DNG. Also, the latest version of camera raw has improved noise
reduction and a few other improvements as well. It is pricey, though.

yep, camera raw 6 is much better, but it should work in photoshop
elements which is not pricey. or, get lightroom instead and keep cs3
for more elaborate retouching if needed.

Both of those are good ideas. Especially the Lightroom + not upgrading cs3
one.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 2nd 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"otter" wrote:
On Sep 1, 8:40 pm, nospam wrote:
In article , David J.

Littleboy wrote:
I'd recommend biting the bullet and upgrading to CS5. Then you don't
have to
futz with DNG. Also, the latest version of camera raw has improved noise
reduction and a few other improvements as well. It is pricey, though.

yep, camera raw 6 is much better, but it should work in photoshop
elements which is not pricey. or, get lightroom instead and keep cs3
for more elaborate retouching if needed.

If he has CS3, might there be an upgrade path to CS5 that is not quite
so expensive? Just asking, don't know for sure.

The upgrade from CS3 to CS5 is (if I figured it out right) US$199. Also, you
have to watch out, because Adobe doesn't do upgrades from much older
versions. Right now the earliest version you can upgrade from for $199 is
CS2. (To the best I can tell.)

If you skip a version to upgrade, there are usually enough new goodies to
make it worth it.

Sure, you can use ACR 6.2 in PSE 8, but it won't give you the hooks to
put the lens correction or noise reduction features in the side car.
You have to get Lightroom or Photoshop to do that (or maybe there is
some way to hack around it). I went down that path and ended up
buying LR3.

I like LR. A lot. I didn't know if the OP wanted to get into a discussion
about LR, but I should have mentioned it: the number of frames one shoots
with digital quickly gets into orders of magnitude where LR's image
management stuff is necessary.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 2nd 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimG

I checked Amazon and the CS3CS5 is ~$200 but the upgrade CS3CS5 Extended
is ~$400. The upgrade for the full web suite is ~$850.

This is food for thought but not this week after dropping $900 for the T2i.

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"otter" wrote:
On Sep 1, 8:40 pm, nospam wrote:
In article , David J.

Old September 2nd 10, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"JimG" wrote:
I checked Amazon and the CS3CS5 is ~$200 but the upgrade CS3CS5 Extended
is ~$400. The upgrade for the full web suite is ~$850.

Do extended and the full web suite have things you need/use?

This is food for thought but not this week after dropping $900 for the
T2i.

Sounds like using DNG for the time being is the right thing.

Between list prices here being calculated at 115 yen to the dollar, and the
actual exchange rate being 85 yen to the dollar, upgrading to plain CS5 and
Lightroom 3 set me back well over US$400. Ouch. And then a whole new set of
"manuals" (my LR and PS books were all even more out of date than the
software) has me out of the consumer fast lane for the nonce as well...

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 2nd 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"JimG" wrote:

[...]

$200 for the upgrade, from Adobe. And well worth it.

--
Peter