Carl Zeiss to announce new 35mm f/1.4 lens on Septtember 1

Old August 31st 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default Carl Zeiss to announce new 35mm f/1.4 lens on Septtember 1

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
[]
Sheesh. You have absolutely no sense of humor.

You always sound so serious, David, sorry!

But really. What the hell are you doing in this thread at all? You're
comments are irrelevant to the topic here.

David,

Hardly irrelevant to Nikon DX users - they already have a Nikon auto-focus
35mm f/1.8 lens available, at a reasonable cost (US ~$200), so they need
not waste their money on this Zeiss manual focus lens.

Cheers,
David

Old September 7th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Me wrote:
Except that landscape shooters stop the lens down, so all that money for
the extra stop(s) of lens speed just got flushed down the toilet, plus
the problem of flare with fast lenses. I'm absolutely certain that the
best landscape lenses would probably be high quality but simple wide
primes or limited range zooms with a maximum aperture of f4 or even
less. They don't get made because the perception would be that they're
too cheap, unfortunately because quality perception has been based
around lens aperture.

The El-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6 is cheap, slow, and spectacular for closeups at
f/8 on a bellows. I was just doing some 1:1 shots with it yesterday
(12MP stack of 35 frames):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...65302/sizes/o/
bokeh in lower right (the rest if partly faked; photo beyond):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...64221/sizes/l/
Tricky to get it to work at infinity.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo...tion/blue.html
Old September 8th 10, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message

The El-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6 is cheap, slow, and spectacular for closeups at
f/8 on a bellows. I was just doing some 1:1 shots with it yesterday (12MP
stack of 35 frames):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...65302/sizes/o/
bokeh in lower right (the rest if partly faked; photo beyond):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...64221/sizes/l/

Almost like watercolors.

--
Peter

Old September 10th 10, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Peter wrote:
"Paul Furman" wrote in message

The El-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6 is cheap, slow, and spectacular for closeups
at f/8 on a bellows. I was just doing some 1:1 shots with it yesterday
(12MP stack of 35 frames):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...65302/sizes/o/
bokeh in lower right (the rest if partly faked; photo beyond):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...64221/sizes/l/

Almost like watercolors.

Um, I'll take that as a compliment, I guess :-)

here's some watercolors though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4973788125/
Old September 10th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

Peter wrote:
"Paul Furman" wrote in message

The El-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6 is cheap, slow, and spectacular for closeups
at f/8 on a bellows. I was just doing some 1:1 shots with it yesterday
(12MP stack of 35 frames):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...65302/sizes/o/
bokeh in lower right (the rest if partly faked; photo beyond):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehil...64221/sizes/l/

Almost like watercolors.

Um, I'll take that as a compliment, I guess :-)

It was intended as such. I don't beleive every shot has to be ultra-sharp,
with vibrant colors. Many of your shots that I've seen have a soft quality,
which is too often underappreciated.