Not great for Nikon PR I'd say

Old November 23rd 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Default Not great for Nikon PR I'd say

RichA wrote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33770272

At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

--
Ray Fischer

Old November 23rd 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

RichA wrote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33770272

At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors gasp hunting! Of
course, we all know that the photographs on the original
anti-hunting/anti-Nikon web site are real, depict that actual event,
and are unretouched, right?

And now, for the lighter side of predator hunting, I bring you this
actual NTSB report, just in case you think the hunters always win:

SEA02LA058
On March 25, 2002, about 0720 mountain standard time, a Piper
PA-18-150, N22EV, sustained substantial damage after colliding with
terrain near Fort Peck, Montana. The airplane is owned by the pilot,
and was being operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) flight under the
provisions of Title 14, CFR Part 91. The commercial pilot-in-command
and passenger sustained serious injuries. Visual meteorological
conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed.

The pilot was
conducting a predator (coyote) control flight over private rangeland
near Fort Peck. During the flight, at a reported altitude of
approximately 40 feet above ground level (AGL), the passenger
inadvertently discharged a semiautomatic 12-gauge shotgun. The pilot,
who was seated in the forward seat, reported that the gun fired 3-4
times, striking the right wing, fuel tank and aileron assembly. He
reported that the damage resulted in a loss of aileron and elevator
control. The airplane entered a descending turn to the right and
subsequently impacted terrain in a nose-low attitude. The pilot
reported the aircraft was on fire upon touchdown and continued to burn
after the impact.

The pilot reported that there were no preexisting
mechanical malfunctions or failures that contributed to the accident.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 23rd 09, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

RichA wrote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33770272

At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors gasp hunting!

You're missing the point.

Of
course, we all know that the photographs on the original

It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.

--
Ray Fischer

Old November 23rd 09, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

RichA wrote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33770272
At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors gasp hunting!

You're missing the point.

Of
course, we all know that the photographs on the original

It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.

Please don't get so emotional that you need to shout, I was having a nap
and you woke me up, and I was prompted to action to find out that...
It was a hoax...
Old November 23rd 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800,
(Ray Fischer) said:

RichA wrote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33770272

At least the bullets aren't made out of plastic, right?

Gee. A company that makes hunting scopes sponsors gasp hunting!

You're missing the point.

Of
course, we all know that the photographs on the original

It's the fact that Nikon is SPONSORING the event that is the issue.

I guess I am just not shocked at the idea that a company that
manufactures hunting supplies might sponsor hunting contests.

But then, I was born in Idaho...

I loved the one comment on the thread -- the assertion that children
exposed to such twisted violence must grow up to be psychopaths. I
guess that explains why all third world countries and practically
everyone who was born before 1960 or who ever lived on a farm, or
anyone else who does not buy their meat in neat little plastic wrapped
packages, is a psychopath, eh? Better watch out! I am a dangerous
psychopath! But you probably knew that all along.

Old November 24th 09, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Private

On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

RichA wrote:
[...]

The NTSB database contains many similar crash reports involving low level
shooting activities in&from Cubs and similar aircraft. Most are stall-spin
and CFIT but IIRC a surprising number are also directly gunshot related.
IMHO, The activities cost outcomes seem to be greater than any marginal and
temporary benefit.

Happy landings,

Old November 27th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-11-22 17:37:16 -0800, (Ray Fischer) said:

RichA wrote:
[...]

Probably a good thing the pilot broke his legs on landing. Otherwise he
might have killed his passenger.

I have this image of Sean Connery in the plane with Indiana Jones.
"They got us, Son."