Kodak bankruptcy

Old March 16th 12, 11:25 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.darkroom
Dale[_2_]

Default Kodak bankruptcy

I used to work in Kodak R&D. (too much corporate culture and middle
management)

If I was a stakeholder in Kodak's reorganization, I would like to see
them map out the workflows of all possible imaging chains, and make
business cases on hard facts as opposed to just brand value, whether
they be AgX, digital, or hybrid.

Where imaging chains intertsect or get jumbled I'd like to see them
provide open standard solutions and play nice with other provider's.
This is where brand value can lead the way.

On the TV news I heard they were going to drop digital capture and focus
on packaging, printers and software. Still hanging on to AgX capture?
Not playing a role in digital cameras, scanners and sensors doesn't seem
like someone who wants to take pictures further.

--
Dale
Old March 16th 12, 01:20 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.darkroom
Dale[_2_]

On 03/16/2012 06:25 AM, Dale wrote:
I would like to see them map out the workflows

maybe use-case is a better word than workflow in the OO software sense.

--
Dale
Old March 16th 12, 04:23 PM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Dale wrote:
I used to work in Kodak R&D. (too much corporate culture and middle
management)

If I was a stakeholder in Kodak's reorganization, I would like to see
them map out the workflows of all possible imaging chains, and make
business cases on hard facts as opposed to just brand value, whether
they be AgX, digital, or hybrid.

I'd like to see them preserve as much manufacturing and design
documentation as possible for all the products they'll shed, and
license it at no cost to anyone who is willing to make the stuff.

Kodak doubtless does not want to be in the low-volume, high-price
art materials market, but there's no reason the analog products
should die and become impossible to ever bring back (which is what
will happen without Kodak's detailed process documentation for making
them) just because Kodak can't economically make them any more.

Kodak could probably even derive significant tax benefits from giving
all the associated intellectual property to a charity created for the
purpose. Or use one they already have handy, like, say, Eastman House.

But I cannot imagine how one would ever get this idea in front of the
appropriate people associated with the bankruptcy. Sigh...

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
Old March 26th 12, 01:39 AM posted to sci.engr.color,sci.image.processing,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"aruzinsky" wrote in
message
On Mar 16, 4:25 am, Dale wrote:
[...]

As a consumer, I have seen Kodak make some outstandingly
stupid
mistakes that besmirched their reputation. For example,
they
simultaneously marketed two very different types of
swellable polymer
photo paper for dye inkjet printers under the same name,
"Kodak Ultima
Picture Paper." The two types were only identifiable to the
customer
by:

1. "With Colorlast Technology" on front of package and
"select paper
type UPP-4-A" on back of package.

2. "Select paper type UPP-3-A" on back of package.

Type 1 was the BEST swellable polymer paper ever made and
Type 2 was
almost the WORST ever made. Of course, confusion between
the two
types caused many customers to mistakenly buy Type 2 which
was prone
to ink pooling and therefore a complete waste of money.
Then Kodak
stopped making both types.

Incidentally, I have 8 year old prints made with Type 1
hanging
uncovered on my wall and they show no signs of
deterioration.

Kodak has done this in the past. They made two very
different films under the name Plus-X and the same for
Tri-X. One was a 35mm and roll film with a medium toe, the
other was sheet film with a very long toe. The two have
quite different tone rendition. Plux-X was the worst case
since they sold _both_ films for roll film cameras. The
long toe stuff was called Plus-X Pan Professional the other
left out the professional. Kodak has also recycled
trademarks many times, note that Ektar has been used for
lenses and also a film, but, at least not at the same time.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL