The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

Old September 9th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_5_]

Default The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

"Bruce" wrote in message
Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
Canon PowerShot G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp

Specs here in .pdf format:
http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Looks good!

It does look good, and it's obviously designed from the get-go to be
*specifically* a G11/G12 competitor. I just wonder if it isn't too little
too late, and also I wonder whether Nikon will be able to bring it to market
at the G12's price point, which I assume will be $499 again.

It's heartening to see that Nikon is following Canon's lead in getting out
of the silly megapixel race in high-end compact cameras, and back to a more
reasonable 10 MP.

Old September 10th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2010-09-09 08:43:07 -0700, "Neil Harrington" said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
Canon PowerShot G12:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp

Specs here in .pdf format:
http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Looks good!

It does look good, and it's obviously designed from the get-go to be
*specifically* a G11/G12 competitor. I just wonder if it isn't too little
too late, and also I wonder whether Nikon will be able to bring it to market
at the G12's price point, which I assume will be $499 again.

It's heartening to see that Nikon is following Canon's lead in getting out
of the silly megapixel race in high-end compact cameras, and back to a more
reasonable 10 MP.

Both cameras are just too big for my test. If I want to carry a camera
around that does not fit in my pocket, it will be a DSLR.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 11th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_5_]

On 2010-09-09 08:43:07 -0700, "Neil Harrington"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, they are sure not pocket-sized. But I really like the "retro"
rangefinder style, and I love my new G11.

Added to my gaggle of pocket-sized cameras just before I bought the G11 is
its baby brother, the S90. I really like that a lot too, though I must say
I'm still not convinced that abandoning the optical viewfinder was a good
idea. But then they're all like that now, or almost all. Canon seems to have
been the last holdout, and it looks like the Elph SD1200s remaining in stock
will be the very last with that feature. I'm tempted to buy one just for
that reason.

Old September 11th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-09-09 08:43:07 -0700, "Neil Harrington"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Ken Rockwell seems to prefer the S90.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/g11.htm#comp

--
Peter

Old September 11th 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_5_]

On 2010-09-09 08:43:07 -0700, "Neil Harrington"
said:

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I saw that, and it was one of the reasons I bought the S90. Then just a
few days later I saw the price of the G11 down to $399 on Amazon, and
thought I'd better grab one before they were gone. That was just $33 more
than I paid for the S90, and the G11 is certainly a lot more camera.

One thing I really like about the S90, though, is the control ring around
the lens that (at default) allows you to instantly click to the traditional
FFL focal lengths of 28, 35, 50, 85 or 105mm (equiv.). That is a great
feature, so much quicker than the usual motorized zoom (though the S90 has
that too of course) and it's nice to have the f.l. identified on the
monitor.