Couple of newbie questions about speed and light.

Old September 10th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

Default Couple of newbie questions about speed and light.

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote in message

Are there still ice cream sodas? I think the last time I had an ice
cream soda was when drugstores still had stools and counters where you
could buy them, and I can't begin to remember how many decades ago that
was. (At least around here.)

Sadly, mostly in diners, where they don't do them properly. There are
still a few places, here on Long Island where they make and serve good
ice cream sodas.

Heh. Actually, it may have been in Oceanside (where I lived until age 16)
that I last had an ice cream soda. That would have been in the 1940s, when
Oceanside was a very small town. Between Rockville Center and Baldwin (I
used to have to tell people, because it really was a very small town).
Mostly meadows where I lived, and lots of woods. It sure has changed.

You can find chemical sodas at Friendly's. However, what would stop you if
you really wanted to have a good one? We drove four hours out of the way
just to get decent fried belly clams.

Oceanside has in fact changed. Just look at the area with Google Maps.
Though Jordan's is still in Island Park. About seven years ago we almost
bought a ground floor oceanfront condo unit in Lido, but we got a better
deal where we are.

--
Peter

Old September 11th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_5_]

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Better than that, I have looked at it on Google Earth. I had trouble finding
my house on Frederick St., which is utterly different now. Where there used
to be nothing but meadows all the way out to the bay (I could see sailboats
way out there from my bedroom window) and one farmhouse visible on the
horizon, now there are blocks and blocks of streets with houses all packed
in next to each other.

The last time I went back to visit old friends on L.I., maybe 25 or 30 years
ago, I went through Oceanside and was extremely sorry I did. Very
depressing, all that change.

Oceanside was a wonderful little town for a kid to grow up in, back in the
day.