Sick of cyan-blue skies

Old November 26th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Sick of cyan-blue skies

RichA wrote:

I don't know what planet some people think we live on, or maybe it's
that some people have a restricted range of colour vision, but Earth
skies are NOT cyan, they are blue and should look blue in pictures.
As far as I know, there is no green component in the oxygen-scattering
of blue light in the atmosphere.

You should get out more or read more physics textbooks. At sunset and
later (or sunrise and earlier) there's often plenty of green to be
seen in the lower regions of the sky.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old November 27th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On 26 Nov 2009 04:14:36 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:
: RichA wrote:
:
: I don't know what planet some people think we live on, or maybe it's
: that some people have a restricted range of colour vision, but Earth
: skies are NOT cyan, they are blue and should look blue in pictures.
: As far as I know, there is no green component in the oxygen-scattering
: of blue light in the atmosphere.
:
: You should get out more or read more physics textbooks. At sunset and
: later (or sunrise and earlier) there's often plenty of green to be
: seen in the lower regions of the sky.

Among other things, the sky is a pretty good reflector. For example, the
phenomenon of "Gegendämmerung" (of which my wife and I once submitted some
examples to the Shoot-In) involves the reflection of a sunset on another part
of the sky. Is it possible that a reflection of woods or other vegetation
might contribute some green to an otherwise blue sky?

Bob
Old November 27th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Robert Coe wrote:
Among other things, the sky is a pretty good reflector. For example, the
phenomenon of "Gegendämmerung" (of which my wife and I once submitted some
examples to the Shoot-In) involves the reflection of a sunset on another part
of the sky. Is it possible that a reflection of woods or other vegetation
might contribute some green to an otherwise blue sky?

Possible.
But the phenomenon that is wellknown among sailors as the "green flash"
has nothing to do with reflection off vegetation but is caused purely by
refrection of the sunlight in the atmosphere

jue
Old November 27th 09, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Further Info[_6_]

: RichA wrote:
:
[...]

This is why skies also turn green before a tornado. The low-glancing late
sun coming under the dense cloud-layer, at the back of the east-traveling
storm clouds. Tornadoes generally form at the back-end of the advancing
tornado producing storm-clouds (cumulus mammatus), just before the clearing
behind them. That sunlight reflecting off of green vegetation and brown
lands turns the bottoms of those dense storm clouds into a sickly green.
Those who live where tornadoes are common know very well of this
gut-sickening sky color. It means it's time to get real nervous real fast.