Can Olympus E-10 firmware still be upgraded?

Old August 31st 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Can Olympus E-10 firmware still be upgraded?

Olympus no longer supports the E-10, so is there any way to get the
firmware upgraded? It's not user-upgradable with Olympus Master like
later cameras, and I have yet to find a repair shop that will do it.
I have firmware 120 but I want a later version with pixel mapping and
support for higher capacity CF cards. Anyone?? --ian

Old August 31st 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
youmustbejoking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:07:36 -0700, wrote:

Olympus no longer supports the E-10, so is there any way to get the
firmware upgraded? It's not user-upgradable with Olympus Master like
later cameras, and I have yet to find a repair shop that will do it.
I have firmware 120 but I want a later version with pixel mapping and
support for higher capacity CF cards. Anyone?? --ian

What you are proposing is the death to all DSLRs and camera-shops in existence.
Think about it, if you were able to easily add features to your older camera
just by changing a byte or two in the programming what would compel you to buy a
new one? This would undermine the very core to all DSLR production and sales.
Without having a way to con, I mean, *encourage* people into buying the next new
one with a few minor features added there goes the whole industry.

Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing. Those CEOs have new yachts and
mansions that they need. You are intentionally plotting of a way to deprive them
of the life to which they've become accustomed, compliments of all DSLR
purchasers. Even suggesting such a thing is tantamount to heresy and impending
litigation for yourself. A premeditative destruction and death to their very way
of life. Nothing less than that.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not wanting to play the game that all DSLR
buyers do. Just watch how much they encourage others to join them in their
"intelligent" choices. They know better than you. You should behave as they do
and obey them on what new cameras you should buy. If you don't buy their latest
favorite camera that makes their favorite CEOs even more wealthy, then you are
nothing but filth and scum in their eyes. And rightly so.

Don't you get it yet? How many more years will it take of seeing this process
unfold daily before your eyes before you figure it out? Get with their program
or don't bother using a camera at all.

You are absolutely **NOTHING** unless you agree to become one of them and abide
by their rules and choices in life.

It's that simple.
Old September 1st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Think about it, if you were able to easily add features to your older camera
just by changing a byte or two in the programming what would compel you to buy a
new one? ...snip...

Olympus cameras after the E-10 have user-upgradable firmware. You run
the Olympus Master 2 program (on your Windows or Apple PC) and it
downloads new firmware over the Intertubes then updates the camera via
USB.

But the E-10 doesn't have that. To upgrade the E-10 you had to send
it back to the factory. Presumably there is a PROM (srrface mount?
socketed?) that must be replaced. Who can do this now?

Old September 1st 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

wrote in message
ups.com...
Think about it, if you were able to easily add features to your older
camera
just by changing a byte or two in the programming what would compel you
to buy a
new one? ...snip...

Olympus cameras after the E-10 have user-upgradable firmware. You run
the Olympus Master 2 program (on your Windows or Apple PC) and it
downloads new firmware over the Intertubes then updates the camera via
USB.

But the E-10 doesn't have that. To upgrade the E-10 you had to send
it back to the factory. Presumably there is a PROM (srrface mount?
socketed?) that must be replaced. Who can do this now?

What feature do you actually think can be added or upgraded by firmware?

Old September 1st 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Self

On Sep 1, 1:14 am, "Pete D" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Think about it, if you were able to easily add features to your older
camera
just by changing a byte or two in the programming what would compel you
to buy a
new one? ...snip...

Olympus cameras after the E-10 have user-upgradable firmware. You run
the Olympus Master 2 program (on your Windows or Apple PC) and it
downloads new firmware over the Intertubes then updates the camera via
USB.

But the E-10 doesn't have that. To upgrade the E-10 you had to send
it back to the factory. Presumably there is a PROM (srrface mount?
socketed?) that must be replaced. Who can do this now?

What feature do you actually think can be added or upgraded by firmware?

It seems as if the OP wanted to use higher capacity CF cards and pixel
mapping. Firmware?

Old September 2nd 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sep 1, 10:58 pm, EO wrote:
Have you actuall queried Olympus on this? I would think that if you
sent it in and were willing to pay the price they would up grade the
firmware for a fee. It is just electronic and does not require any
mechanical work. I thought version 120 was pixel mapping?

Yes, I have talked to two different Olympus support people. They both
(finally) said the E-10 is no longer supported. I will likely try
again since neither person was very informed (they had to go ask to
other people)-- so someone else might give another story. One of them
found an item in their price guide for E-10 Pixel Mapping, but there
was no price associated since it was no longer offered.

They did give me the names/#s of some camera repair places that
service Olympus. I called them all, and about half said they would do
it for ~$25, but actually were confused-- when pressed further, it
turns out they thought they could just run Olympus Master 2. One
place, Camera Repair Japan, said they would do it for $80 but the
person I spoke to had poor English and it wasn't clear if they too
were confused. I will probably try them again and see if I can get
someone more understandable. $80 would be a rip-off to change out a
PROM, anyway.

I have v120 and no pixel mapping-- I think 130 adds that. Noone at
Olympus could tell me what features became available in which firmware
versions.

Old September 2nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_3_]

In article , David Sommers
says...

You need to be more persistent. The firmware upgrade was not a PROM
swap-out. It was a tricky process with a specially prepared CF card that
took the technician less than 20 minutes - no disassembly required.
Something most users would not be able to accomplish.

The firmware upgrade is a very simple procedure, if you know how to do
it. The "specially prepared" CF or Smartmedia card is simply a memory
card which has been formatted in the camera and to which a firmware.bin
file has been copied to a /firmware directory. See here for more
details:
http://myolympus.org/5050/#Firmware

The tricky part is getting the firmware.bin file, because Olympus does
not offer these for download.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 3rd 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
EO

At the time this "update" was introduced I seem to remember that some
where in Canada some dealer was doing this local. I checked back on my
threads at dpreview and found that
http://www.nortownphoto.com/contactus.htm
in Canada was doing this upgrade. Might want to give them a call.

V1.30 seems to be the latests upgrade althought there was a V1.33 no one
seemed to be able to tell what if anything it did.

You should have no problem with CF card to 512mb without any upgrade.

Ed

Old September 4th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sep 2, 11:17 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , David Sommers
says...

You need to be more persistent. The firmware upgrade was not a PROM
swap-out. It was a tricky process with a specially prepared CF card that
took the technician less than 20 minutes - no disassembly required.
Something most users would not be able to accomplish.

The firmware upgrade is a very simple procedure, if you know how to do
it. The "specially prepared" CF or Smartmedia card is simply a memory
card which has been formatted in the camera and to which a firmware.bin
file has been copied to a /firmware directory. See here for more
details:http://myolympus.org/5050/#Firmware

The tricky part is getting the firmware.bin file, because Olympus does
not offer these for download.
--

Alfred Molon

Thanks for the Info, Alfred. I called Olympus again and they said
once a camera is no longer supported they remove all parts inventory
and delete everything, and firmware is not available. I asked if
firmware could be read back *off* a camera, and they said if this were
in fact possible, it would be priestly information and they're not
telling. They had no suggestions at all. No Longer Supported = Not
Helpful. I will have to find a copy of that firmware!

--ian