what lens for elan7?

Old September 5th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default what lens for elan7?

Hi, I picked up a used Elan7 on ebay for $100. Good deal? The seller
had a 100% positive rating and hundreds of transactions.

Now, what lens? I've searched this group and see that I should get
either a 28-105mm or a 50mm. I would be happy with the latter. I had
one with an old pentax k1000 and loved it. However: will all the canon
50mm f1.8 lenses I see on ebay for about $50 work with the elan? Will
the autofocus work? It seems like a shame to have an Elan7 and not use
the autofocus feature. Any other advice for a good INEXPENSIVE lens
would be appreciated.

Old September 5th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

wrote:
Hi, I picked up a used Elan7 on ebay for $100. Good deal? The seller
had a 100% positive rating and hundreds of transactions.

Now, what lens? I've searched this group and see that I should get
either a 28-105mm or a 50mm. I would be happy with the latter. I had
one with an old pentax k1000 and loved it. However: will all the canon
50mm f1.8 lenses I see on ebay for about $50 work with the elan? Will
the autofocus work? It seems like a shame to have an Elan7 and not use
the autofocus feature. Any other advice for a good INEXPENSIVE lens
would be appreciated.

For example, I see J&R has the CANON 50mm/f1.8 Canon Camera Lens for
$70. Will that work with the Elan7 and is it autofocus? Thanks again.

Old September 5th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

wrote
Hi, I picked up a used Elan7 on ebay for $100. ...
will all the canon 50mm f1.8 lenses I see on
ebay for about $50 work with the elan?

If they are 'EF'. The old manual focus/breach mount
lenses won't work.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old September 6th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Cisco Kid

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
wrote
Hi, I picked up a used Elan7 on ebay for $100. ...
will all the canon 50mm f1.8 lenses I see on
ebay for about $50 work with the elan?

If they are 'EF'. The old manual focus/breach mount
lenses won't work.

I think it's the EF that are the old models that won't work for the new
models - you'll need an EOS mount - and you don't need to get a canon
lens - there are other models designed to mount onto other
manufacturers - e.g. I have at least one minolta lens for my Canon A2
and another make that also works, as well as a few Canon lens - but
used at KEH.com!!!!!!!!

Old September 6th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Cisco Kid wrote:
I think it's the EF that are the old models that won't work for the new
models - you'll need an EOS mount

EF is the EOS mount. The older cameras used an FD mount (and before that
circa 1965? the FL mount).

Note that it's been almost 20 years since the EOS first came out.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old September 7th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Cisco Kid wrote:
I think it's the EF that are the old models that won't work for the new
models - you'll need an EOS mount

EF is the EOS mount. The older cameras used an FD mount (and before that
circa 1965? the FL mount).

Note that it's been almost 20 years since the EOS first came out.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Uh, you guys are confusing me even more. So the consensus is that I
need en EF ("electronic focus"? )

Also, I was looking at some 28-105mm lenses. In this last group what
is the difference between f3.5-4.5 and f4-5.6 ? Thanks again.

Old September 7th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AAvK

Uh, you guys are confusing me even more. So the consensus is that I
need en EF ("electronic focus"? )

That is the name of the Canon autofocus mount. You can buy other brands
in the same mount, such as Tamron and Tokina (at-x not sz-x). The older
Canon FD mount lenses will not fit onto your AF Canon. Those are manual
focus.

Also, I was looking at some 28-105mm lenses. In this last group what
is the difference between f3.5-4.5 and f4-5.6 ? Thanks again.

The 3.5-4.5 is the faster and more expensive lens. Not a supremely big deal
of a difference other than one stop faster than the other. You might consider
spending more on a zoom of a constant 2.8, just for speed with ISO 100 film.
$1200 - $1500 btw, if new.

But for your film camera, make sure that whatever you buy is not in focal lengths
for digital SLRs, as the projected image circle will be too small for the frame
size of 35mm film, and you'd get black vignetting in the corners of your shots.

Those numbers represent the aperture ratings of lenses, as lenses have multi
bladed diaphrams to allow more or less light to the film, as well to allow less
or greater depth of field. The numbers show for the lens the widest aperture
capable of any given lens. Obviously, the larger_the_better meaning more
"speed", allowing all the more light through the lens to the film. As well, the
smaller the aperture is the more depth of field given, and helps with the
sharpness of the image as the rays of light that are carrying the image to the
film become much more finite.

The smaller that F-stop number is, represents a "larger widest" aperture the
lens is capable of, and more expensive.

Smaller number = more and wider glass = more speed = mo' money!

Check prices on zooms with a constant F/2.8, you'll see. I just bought an old
manual Tamron SP 70-210 constant 3.5 zoom for a great price. That's 1/2
stop slower than 2.8. But a constant same aperture at all focal lengths in a
zoom lens, from one end to the other, is the most desireable.

50mm 1.4 and 1.2 are available, and Canon has made lenses of 0.95, a-way
back in years past. That is HUGE and fast as hell.

Lenses that end in 5.6 are the cheapest and slowest. When you see f4-5.6 on
a zoom lens, you can see that the aperture value changes from wider (faster)
at the shortest focal length to a stop slower at the longer focal length. Faster
is more wide open, and slower is more closed down.

--
})))* Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com