What next when the hyperfocal is wrong?

Old June 12th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What next when the hyperfocal is wrong?

"Dmac" wrote in message
Bandicoot wrote:
"Tony Polson" wrote in message

"Bandicoot" wrote:

Well, we started at about 8pm and after almost 150 applicants got to my
prints at about 2am. The standard had been very high, and about a
dozen people had been told they could expect to be given their LBIPP if
they applied formally, and about half that actually awarded it there and
then subject only to references - each time that this happened there was
enthusiastic applause. So, to cut a long story short they looked at my
pictures last but one, said some very flattering things about them, and
offered me the Licentiate there and then, advising me to apply for an
Associateship (the next step up) in a couple of years time.

I was rather taken aback, but of course it was the perfect way to

'apply',
since I'd been spared all the stress beforehand of thinking that I was
actually making a serious application. I still haven't got round to

putting
together a panel for the ABIPP though, that's even more daunting...

Peter

Looking at some examples of ABIPP members web sites leads me to the
conclusion membership to this elitist organization - or associate
membership, is no assurance of any particular skills the half a dozen
members I checked out have as Photographers. How much does it cost to
join, Peter?

Chuckle. It'll cost you £165.00 to apply direct, and then your panel of 20
pictures and the £125.00 submission fee to apply for an Associateship, which
obviously you intend to do immediately. Let us know how you get on.

Peter

Old June 14th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Alan Browne" wrote ...

Odd how you come around whenever Polson is on one of his rants designed to

elevate himself through insults on others...

Nice to see the sense of humour by-pass was a success, Alan

;^)

Old June 16th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Tony Parkinson wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote ...

Odd how you come around whenever Polson is on one of his rants designed to

elevate himself through insults on others...

Nice to see the sense of humour by-pass was a success, Alan

The "circle of confusion" joke reached its zenith of comedy a couple
years ago.
Old June 16th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Dmac wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Tony, you're quick to attack but very slow to offer useful, clear,
concise advice.

You basic presumption that he actually has any to offer is flawed in the
extreme, Alan.

I don't believe that at all. In a few narrow areas he does have useful
things to say.

However, he rarely passes up the chance to be an ass or to pull the old
all-so-easy dig at people who do have useful comments to offer.

Tony really has no understanding of the basic purpose of usenet. He is
angry at usenet in part because it has failed to elevate him to the
status he seeks. That *really* drives him mad 'cause people can call on
him to walk the walk and that's when he cowers in the corners.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 19th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

[apparently referring to Tony Polson]

You basic presumption that he actually has any to offer is flawed in the
extreme, Alan.

I don't believe that at all. In a few narrow areas he does have useful
things to say.

However, he rarely passes up the chance to be an ass or to pull the old
all-so-easy dig at people who do have useful comments to offer.

Tony really has no understanding of the basic purpose of usenet. He is
angry at usenet in part because it has failed to elevate him to the
status he seeks. That *really* drives him mad 'cause people can call on
him to walk the walk and that's when he cowers in the corners.

I find this all very interesting, because a few years back I
spent a lot of time lurking here, and a bit posting. At that
time, it seemed like Tony actually posted quite a bit of useful
information, and was certainly willing to argue from time to
time (this is Usenet after all), but it certainly seems
different now.

I wonder what, if anything other than time, transpired to change
him so much?

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old June 19th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Randy Howard wrote:
[...]

Anger and resentment, loss of promotional opportunities, jealousy,
poverty, inability to accept change. All of these probably contribute to
his present attitude. Like you suggested, he did have valid
contributions about hardware - once. God help us all if we age like he has.

--
From Douglas...
My photographic site: http://www.douglasjames.com.au