What to do? Opinions needed!

Old January 28th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default What to do? Opinions needed!

"Helen" writes:

I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.

Well, I'd try learning just enough to take snapshots on full auto, and
then see if you find it of any use for a few months. I think it's a
great little camera (though I'd prefer the 610 -- plenty of resolution
for what you use this kind of camera for, and lower image noise, and
cheaper). If it's of any use, you can always learn more later. It
supports full manual exposure, and macro focusing, and the tilt/swivel
LCD is really handy for candid portraiture and also for low-light work
(the camera can rest solidly on the table and you can still see the
LCD to compose, for example).

But what people "like" is, in the final analysis, completely
subjective, so you may continue to hate it. I took to digital
photography instantly, after more than 30 years of serious film
photography, but other people find it unpleasant, or too much trouble,
or don't like the results, or just too big a learning curve. (I'm a
computer geek, and have been doing that professionally since before I
got my first SLR camera).
Old January 28th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Helen" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.
Helen

I have it's little brother, the A95 (the 5MP version). At first I found it
"different" being an "all manual" 35mm SLR and Medium Format photographer
(all my cameras are manual control). At first I could not make heads or
tails of the 14 shooting modes so I put the camera in "Auto" and let it take
all the decisions: The pictures were good. With time and practice I learned
to use the other 13 modes, and the pictures turned out better. These cameras
are very good for their size; I would keep it. If anything, it's size is
good for portability, unlike lugging around an SLR and all it's gear.

Old January 28th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Very grateful for your opinion. Very impressive links.
Thank you!!
Helen

Old January 28th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

The pictures are very good, and like you said, I need to give myself
time to learn the modes, etc. Just a little intimidating right now.
I will indeed keep it. And thank you to all for your opinions. Great
forum you have here.
Helen

Old January 29th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Helen wrote:

Thanks Alan! I know you are right. I'll try to stop thinking it's
"brain surgery" and enjoy it and take it everywhere with me. Thanks
again.
Cheers, Helen

Treat it like a small, coat-pocket range-finder; albiet one with
auto-zoom and imagine you're Cartier-Bresson.
Old January 29th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Helen wrote:
I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard
to get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The
person who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to
have it sit on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should
just keep it and use it periodically.
Helen

Hello Helen,

I see you've gotten some good responses already. Here's another, from
someone who is also used to SLRs and DSLRs...

I am a long-time film user, but who has been shooting digital SLRs for the 6
years in addition to film.
I've never owned a digital point-and-shoot...until a month ago, and it's the
Canon 610.
The 610 is identical to your 620 except that it's 5 megapixels instead of
the 620's 7 megapixels.

As someone who has always demanded the full control offered by SLRs and
DSLRs, I must say that I've been quite pleased with this little gem of a
camera. While it certainly doesn't record images as cleanly as my DSLR,
it's size, convenience, video mode and ability to manually control functions
makes it a very handy little camera to have around. My wife and I take it
along in situations where my full kit bag is a burden, and where pictures
are not a top priority. For example...we hike up a small mountain with our
dogs last weekend...and took it along, since I wouldn't have bothered with
my full kit. It was great! The pictures are snapshots, but who cares? It
was just fun to be able to have those images where we would otherwise have
had none at all.

It's a great little camera, and I think that even if you never use it on
anything other than full auto, you'll be pleasantly surprised with what it
can capture.

Here's one of those "snap-shots" from last weekend...from basically your
same camera:

The above is no masterpiece, but it was shot by my wife...who knows
absolutely nothing about cameras.
I think she framed it rather nicely, but the camera took care of the rest.
Without the little crummy point-and-shoot, these memories just fade away
without record. With that thought, it's nice to have a little "cheesy"
camera to take along without requiring any fuss.

Here are some other images...with my OTHER camera:

http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004

and some more...just in case you're really bored...

http://www.pbase.com/markuson/101

I say keep your little gift.
It's one of the best "little" and affordable cameras around, in my opinion.
By the way... Battery life is unblievably good with my 610, and I'm sure
your 620 is very similarly good in that respect.
-Mark

Old January 29th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Thanks Mark you have sold me on the unbelievable advantages of this
little gem.
Your images are gorgeous to say the least. I feel much better now
knowing all the support I have.
Love this forum!
Helen

Old January 29th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Helen" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been using an SLR for years and years and enjoy the whole
concept of film cameras. I was given a digital camera for Christmas,
and I don't like it. It's an expensive Canon A620 and I find it hard to
get use to. Hard to understand (I know I'm not up to date). The person
who gave it to me would be hurt if I sold it, but I hate to have it sit
on the shelf. What am I to do? i'm wondering if I should just keep it
and use it periodically.
Helen

Put it on a tripod and use it for the best thing that digi's can be used
for....Taking pictures of stuff to sell on eBay.....Put a neutral colored
(light blue is good) blanket on a card table, light it well (in the shade
outside is good) and take photos of all your spare junk. Sell all that
useless stuff on eBay with those pictures, and you will make enough money to
get yourself a decent film camera and some good lenses.......

Old February 1st 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Kibo informs me that "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
stated that:

Here's one of those "snap-shots" from last weekend...from basically your
same camera:

The above is no masterpiece, but it was shot by my wife...who knows
absolutely nothing about cameras.
I think she framed it rather nicely, but the camera took care of the rest.

I like the framing on that shot too. Your missus clearly has a good eye
for composition.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Lionel wrote:
Kibo informs me that "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
stated that:

Here's one of those "snap-shots" from last weekend...from basically
your same camera:

The above is no masterpiece, but it was shot by my wife...who knows
absolutely nothing about cameras.
I think she framed it rather nicely, but the camera took care of the
rest.

I like the framing on that shot too. Your missus clearly has a good
eye for composition.

I'll pass that along to her... Thanks.