Whats sharpest?

Old December 6th 04, 08:53 PM
Thom

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:30:35 -0600, "me" wrote:

"Thom" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:06:25 -0600, "me" wrote:

"Thom" wrote in message
I'm doing that now, have a second body with a Vivitar 70-210 which is
going flaky on me (F-stop problems).

Flaky how? What is the problem with the f-stops? I *may* know of a fix.
Film, better than all the rest!
me

it sticks on F:22 no matter what you set it at.
THOM

Does it stick when it's not on the camera?

yes sometimes

THOM
Look through the lens from the
rear and rotate the aperture ring to see if it does.
me

Old December 6th 04, 09:14 PM
me

"Thom" wrote in message
I'm doing that now, have a second body with a Vivitar 70-210 which

is
going flaky on me (F-stop problems).

Flaky how? What is the problem with the f-stops? I *may* know of a

fix.
Film, better than all the rest!
me

it sticks on F:22 no matter what you set it at.
THOM

Does it stick when it's not on the camera?

yes sometimes

THOM
Look through the lens from the
rear and rotate the aperture ring to see if it does.
me

The lever that protrudes from the back of the lens is spring loaded. If you
move this lever by hand when the lens is set at f-22 the aperture blades
will (should) open. The spring or the lever may be bent or binding. It is
possible to take off the rear flange by removing the screws that hold it on.
If you take it off for a look see you should proceed very carefully and
remove the flange very slowly. There is a spring loaded ball that acts as a
detent for the aperture ring. This ball can fly out and roll into the
dustiest corner of your room never to be seen again. I have successfully
reinstalled this ball on one of my lenses after it became dislodged (I
squeezed the plastic aperture ring too hard while removing the lens from the
body). If you're handy with small mechanical devices you may be able to fix
this lens yourself.

There may be one other thing that's causing the problem. If your lens has a
capitol A just past the f-22 mark and there is a small spring loaded pin
nearby on the aperture ring then you may have pressed this pin by accident.
To set your lens for shutter priority you would hold this pin down and turn
the ring past f-22 until it lines up with the capitol A. This pin locks the
aperture ring in the lens's smallest aperture for shutter priority mode. If
this is the case press the pin and rotate the aperture ring back towards
f-22 (or any larger aperture). This happened to me once and I had to figure
it out by guess work because there was no mention whatsoever of this setting
in the manual that came with the lens and my camera is totally manual! Hope
this helps.
Good Luck!
me