Kodak LS443 Camera Error E45

Old January 21st 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Kodak LS443 Camera Error E45

Ron Baird:
It's great that someone from Kodak looks at this group and offers help
- I doubt other manufacturers do that. Actually I'm not sure that your
comment that a firmware upgrade would improve things. It didn't for me
at least.

Background: My lens on my Koday LS443 failed for the second time in
March 2005. There wasn't an error message that time - just clicking
and failure to move the lens. They replaced the lens assembly, some
firmware, and the rotary mode knob. They were very nice to do it for
free even though it was 15 months since out of warranty and 15 months
since the last time they repaired it. The other option was to trade it
in for an LS753 for $125. I took the free option which was maybe a
mistake.

Current issue: Now (10 months since last repair) it has failed for the
third time. This time it gives the "Camera Error # E45 See users
guide" for a few seconds before the display goes off. It makes a
slight buzzing / clicking sound and then quits. Lens stays out.
Camera shuts off but lens does not retract. I guess I'll have to
contact repair again. This time I might take the upgrade option and
hope the upgrade camera doesn't have the problem also. Seems like an
inherent design flaw in my model.

The Kodak cameras are great. They have far and away the best menuing
system of any manufacturer, the photos are great, the repair options
are generous, and it's an American company, so I'll keep using Kodak
cameras. I just haven't had great luck with reliability, but I've also
heard worse things about some other manufacturers also so I'm not going
to hold it against them.
Mark

1. Carolyn
Mar 19 2004, 6:23 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: (Carolyn) - Find messages by this author
Date: 19 Mar 2004 15:23:42 -0800
Subject: Kodak LS443 - Error 45
| Report Abuse

I purchased a Kodak LS443 in February of 2003. I have just returned
the camera for service for the second time. The problem is a lens
related error (error #45). The lens will not open and the error
displays on the LCD display. I am wondering if others have had the
same problem...I'm beginning to think there might be either a design
flaw, or perhaps a problem with my particular camera. I had a Kodak
DC280 for 4 years with no problems, so am concerned with the recurring
problems (even though they are covered under warranty).

Thanks.

Carolyn

2. Ron Baird
Mar 23 2004, 1:30 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "Ron Baird" - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:30:15 -0500

Hi Carolynn,

The Error 45 report you have seen on your camera is related to a lens
issue.
Something has caused the lens to jam or stop working. When it does you
get
the E45 error. You have already done the right thing in contacting us
about
your experience. Our online team should be able to help further once
the
camera is back and in our hands.

Thanks for your patience while we analyze your issue.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

3. Ron Baird
Mar 23 2004, 2:14 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "Ron Baird" - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:14:56 -0500
| Report Abuse

Greetings Carolyn,

I am posting this to you and Dave, another poster. Actually, the
update
will improve your results and likely resolve you getting additional E45

errors? The firmware will:
a.. Improve lens performance when lens meets with resistance during
extension.
b.. Fix issues with some types of SD memory cards.
If you have an LS443 I suggest a download and install or install
direct. It
will improve performance and help deflect issues with lens resistance.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Give it a try and let me if it works for you.

4. Carolyn
Mar 28 2004, 8:12 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: (Carolyn) - Find messages by this author
Date: 28 Mar 2004 17:12:34 -0800
| Report Abuse

Thanks, Ron. This is very helpful info. Right now my camera is back
with United Camera for repair. As soon as it is returned, I'll get
the firmware updated (spotted the update just after the latest problem
with my camera).

Carolyn

Old January 30th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

================================================= ================

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: (Carolyn) - Find messages by this author
Date: 19 Mar 2004 15:23:42 -0800

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "Ron Baird" - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:30:15 -0500

================================================= ===============

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: "Ron Baird" - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:14:56 -0500

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: (Carolyn) - Find messages by this author
Date: 28 Mar 2004 17:12:34 -0800
| Report Abuse

Thanks, Ron. This is very helpful info. Right now my camera is back
with United Camera for repair. As soon as it is returned, I'll get
the firmware updated (spotted the update just after the latest problem
with my camera).

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your LS443. One of the
options of the updated firmware is to help the camera handle situations
where the lens is restricted, i.e. in a pocket etc. If the camera is
turned on in a restricted space, you may get this error.

You can take advantage of the latest offer, by using the trade in
option. I believe they will offer you a Z730 camera which is a pretty
good deal. If you call we will help. Try 800 235-6325 and let them know
of your past experience. They should offer you the trade in option.

Thanks for the chance to help. Let me know if there are questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company