Playing with PTGui (Lake Panorama)

Old January 24th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Father McKenzie[_3_]

Default Playing with PTGui (Lake Panorama)

As you all know I have enjoyed playing with HDR but I love pano's.
Tonight I was grabbing some shots for HDR and decided to get a pano.

I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...tream&s ize=l

Thank you all for your comments on my posts over the last few weeks.

Only new (just on a year) to photography and loving the learning of it all.
Old January 24th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
ray

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:47:47 +1100, Father McKenzie wrote:

As you all know I have enjoyed playing with HDR but I love pano's.
Tonight I was grabbing some shots for HDR and decided to get a pano.

I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

Very nice.

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?

id=2216538672&context=photostream&size=l

Old January 24th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm, alt.photography
[email protected]

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ext=photostrea...

Thank you all for your comments on my posts over the last few weeks.

Only new (just on a year) to photography and loving the learning of it all.

Great images! You ability to use HDR to get excellently exposed
sunsets is a lesson to us all - maybe a few more details of your
methodology (esp. how many shots, how you decide on your exposure
choices) might be in order..? (O;

Two tiny nitpicks - I think a bit of straightening of the boat masts
would help (PTGUI should be able to help do this, or alternatively
make sure you shoot with camera level, not pointing up*.. -maybe use a
wider angle if you need lots of sky), and in the second one I'm just
not quite sure about your decision to put that guy smack bang in the
highlight - he just looks a little odd... (O;

* I suspect you know this, but someone reading this might not... So
apologies if it sounds like I'm lecturing! (O;
Old January 24th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Father McKenzie

wrote:
As you all know I have enjoyed playing with HDR but I love pano's.
Tonight I was grabbing some shots for HDR and decided to get a pano.

I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ext=photostrea...

Thank you all for your comments on my posts over the last few weeks.

Only new (just on a year) to photography and loving the learning of it all.

Great images! You ability to use HDR to get excellently exposed
sunsets is a lesson to us all - maybe a few more details of your
methodology (esp. how many shots, how you decide on your exposure
choices) might be in order..? (O;

Thanks Mark, A lot of people don't like HDR but I am really enjoying it.
At first I was like everyone else and made spooky looking HDR but
recently I have been playing around to make it look 'natural' or as
natural as can be.

All my HDR are 3 shots using the 400d bracketing tool and I naromally go
3 stops up and down. I then play around in photomatrix, i look at it's
auto setting then move the slide to the far end then back till it is how
i like it. I do this on each setting then send it through to photoshop
to straighten or trim.

Two tiny nitpicks - I think a bit of straightening of the boat masts
would help (PTGUI should be able to help do this, or alternatively
make sure you shoot with camera level, not pointing up*..

This one was 3 shots down and 3 shots up. To be honest by the time did
this it was about bed time so it was a bit of a rush job. As I stated
a while back I am new to PTG so I will try out the additional settings
on this one tonight to try and straighten the masts.

-maybe use a
wider angle if you need lots of sky), and in the second one I'm just
not quite sure about your decision to put that guy smack bang in the
highlight - he just looks a little odd... (O;

I took a few shots along the foreshore and I actually liked the
silhouette. I will post one from a bit further down.

* I suspect you know this, but someone reading this might not... So
apologies if it sounds like I'm lecturing! (O;

No not at all, I will take any help on board.
Old January 24th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Troy Piggins[_9_]

* Father McKenzie is quoted & my replies are inline below :
wrote:
[...]

snip /

I think what people don't like is the really over the top
tonemapping. Yours are quite natural and not over the top.

--
Troy Piggins
Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm
Old January 25th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Father McKenzie

That Rich wrote:
I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems one could get essentially the same
image using a 20mm lens.

Maybe, but I don't own a 20mm lens but I own PTGui

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ext=photostrea...

Again, seems the same can be accomplished either with patience or a
grad ND.

Another 2 things I don't have

Digital has made a lot of *photographers* computer *experts*.

You must also hate modern movies. We don't move forward with
technology to live in the dark ages.

One of my HDR photos made the final 5 in a National (Australian) amateur
photo comp so someone out there must like it. And I will be honest the
image they selected I wasn't that fussed on. It has a nasty halo in the
centre of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...7167421&size=l

Nice photos.

Thanks

Cheers,

RP©

Old January 25th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 25, 9:45 am, That Rich wrote:
I took 4 shots and stitched them with PTGui.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6562812&size=l

Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems one could get essentially the same
image using a 20mm lens.

Well perhaps he doesn't *have* a 20mm lens... At some point, every
photographer is gunna run out of lens width, and then what technique
should they use...?

(And stitching is often done simply to increase pixel count, and
therefore enlargability.)

I also got this HDR from the same location

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ext=photostrea...

Again, seems the same can be accomplished either with patience or a
grad ND.

Patience? How does that get the same effect? (O;

Does a typical gND give you a six stop range? That's what Fr M was
using. HDR has:
- essentially no limit to the dynamic range (other than that of the
camera, your patience and how fast the scene may change..)
- no limitation on where/how the effect is applied

With gNDs you are stuck with whatever f-stop range the gND(s) have.
With gND's you cannot selectively apply the effect to individual areas
With gND's you are (pretty much) stuck with the available gradient
width and position

I've seen some awful gND shots, where the gradient was so obvious it
hurt. I concede there are far more bad examples of HDR around (even
done some myself, but I don't display them!), but that comes with any
new technology. There are now far more bad pictures around, too,
because they are so easy to take and display. But that doesn't mean
that new techniques are not valuable.

Digital has made a lot of *photographers* computer *experts*.

The glass is half empty?

(O:
Old January 25th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Father McKenzie

wrote:
[...]

Except for this 'beauty' on my first go.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1371512&size=l

I did think the halo's around the boat looked cool.
Old January 25th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Peter[_7_]

"Troy Piggins" wrote in message

I think what people don't like is the really over the top
tonemapping. Yours are quite natural and not over the top.

It's like a lot of other things. I used to do solarizations and
posterizations, in the darkroom, just because I could. Over 90% of these
wound up in my POC. (you can guess what that stands for.) When I first went
digital PS made these things quite easy so the Gee Whiz effect no longer
existed. Similarly, HDR when used judiciously can be a valuable tool. Few
will argue that PS shouldn't be used, because it is too easy to abuse. I
don't think we should criticize HDR just because some carry its potential to
extreme, any more than we should denigrate saturation or sharpening, because
those tools are abused.
Just my 2 cents.

--
Peter

Old January 25th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Jeff R.

"Peter" wrote in message
"Troy Piggins" wrote in message

I think what people don't like is the really over the top
tonemapping. Yours are quite natural and not over the top.

It's like a lot of other things. I used to do solarizations and
posterizations, in the darkroom, just because I could. Over 90% of these
wound up in my POC. (you can guess what that stands for.)

Hmmm... I'm guessing the fourth one...

POC Paid Outside of Closing (real estate)
POC Particulate Organic Carbon
POC Piece Of Cake
POC Pile Of Crap
POC Point Of Contact
POC Port Of Call
POC Metal Powder Cutting (welding)
POC Paid on Call (firefighting)
POC Pakistan Origin Card
POC Parents of Ostomy Children
POC Passion of the Christ (movie)
POC Paxson Oil Company
POC Payload Operations Center
POC Peace Observation Commission (UN)
POC Pen of Chaos (French website)
POC People of Color
POC Percent of Original Charge
POC Percentage-Of-Completion
POC Performance Objectives and Criteria
POC Person of Color
POC Person On Call
POC Person on Cocaine
POC Personnel Operations Center
POC Philippine Olympic Committee
POC Physical Optics Corporation
POC Piece of Crap
POC Pirates of the Caribbean (movie)
POC ****ed Off Chick
POC ****ed Off Customer
POC Plan of Care
POC Plan of Correction
POC Plano Oficial de Contabilidade (Portuguese: Accountancy Official Plan)
POC Platoon Operations Center
POC Point of Call
POC Point of Care
POC Point of Care (healthcare industry)
POC Point of Compliance
POC Point of Concept
POC Point on Curve (surveying)
POC Polar Cod (FAO species name code )
POC Policy Oversight Committee
POC Porsche Owners Club
POC Port of Convenience
POC Portable Object Compiler
POC Ports of Call (computer game)
POC Position of Comfort
POC Posterior Circulation Syndrome (medical)
POC Potential Officers Course (UK)
POC Power Converter
POC Power of Connecting
POC Preliminary Operational Capability
POC Preliminary Operational Concept
POC Privately Owned Conveyance
POC Proceeds of Crime (Canadian legal term)
POC Processor Outage Control (CCS #7 & ITU-T)
POC Procurement Order Cycle
POC Product of Combustion
POC Product of Conception (genetics testing)
POC Production Office Coordinator (film and television industry)
POC Professional Officer Candidate
POC Professional Officer Course
POC Project Officer Coordinator (FEMA)
POC Project Overview Committee
POC Proof of Claim (insurance industry)
POC Proof of Closure (switch for a valve or acuator)
POC Proof Of Concept
POC Property of Canada
POC Proyectos de Obra Civil (Spanish)
POC Psychological Operations Company
POC Pu`u `O`o Cone (Hawai'i)
POC Public Operators Code
POC Pulmonary Opacity Code
POC Pulse Of Capitalism
POC Pump Off Control
POC Purchase Order Change (EDI)
PoC Push to Talk Over Cellular (cellular telephony)