Pocket camera

Old October 19th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Richard Kettlewell

Default Pocket camera

I've got an EOS 350D, and I'm very happy with it. But I'd like
something I can carry around all the time.

The most important requirement is that it be small and light; ideally
it should fit in a coat pocket.

Other things I care about: fine control over exposure (for instance
the equivalent of the Canon's Av/Tv+EC); shooting in RAW, so I'm not
stuck the wrong side of an in-camera JPEG implementation; a reasonably
fast shooting rate.

Things I _don't_ care about: very high pixel counts; 'macro' mode;
media type (as long as I can get the pictures into Lightroom without
too much pain); tripod mount/external flash connector; movie mode;
second hand vs. new.

Any recommendations?

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Old October 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

Richard Kettlewell writes:
Other things I care about: fine control over exposure (for instance
the equivalent of the Canon's Av/Tv+EC); shooting in RAW, so I'm not
stuck the wrong side of an in-camera JPEG implementation; a reasonably
fast shooting rate.

For reasons I've never understood, compact cameras that shoot RAW
shoot it extremely slowly. Ask yourself how much you really care
about this.
Old October 19th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Richard Kettlewell wrote:
I've got an EOS 350D, and I'm very happy with it. But I'd like
something I can carry around all the time.

The most important requirement is that it be small and light; ideally
it should fit in a coat pocket.

Other things I care about: fine control over exposure (for instance
the equivalent of the Canon's Av/Tv+EC); shooting in RAW, so I'm not
stuck the wrong side of an in-camera JPEG implementation; a reasonably
fast shooting rate.

Things I _don't_ care about: very high pixel counts; 'macro' mode;
media type (as long as I can get the pictures into Lightroom without
too much pain); tripod mount/external flash connector; movie mode;
second hand vs. new.

Any recommendations?

Panasonic Lumix LX1, no question. It's small, shoots RAW, has a great
lens, true 16:9 wide format, and very good controls. For example, you
can switch from autofocus to manual focus by moving a switch on the
lens, no need to jump through screen menus. And it has an AF/AE lock
button. I'm very happy with mine.

Panasonic recently released LX1's successor, the LX2, but I prefer the
LX1. The LX2 goes a little too crazy with noise reduction and has too
many pixels for a small sensor (10MP vs. 8MP).

The only drawback is that the images are a little noisy, but it's
nothing that Noise Ninja won't fix, and I actually prefer to have less
noise reduction done in camera - I'd rather have the detail.

-Gniewko

Old October 19th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:10:15 GMT, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
I've got an EOS 350D, and I'm very happy with it. But I'd like
something I can carry around all the time.

The most important requirement is that it be small and light; ideally
it should fit in a coat pocket.

Other things I care about: fine control over exposure (for instance
the equivalent of the Canon's Av/Tv+EC); shooting in RAW, so I'm not
stuck the wrong side of an in-camera JPEG implementation; a reasonably
fast shooting rate.

Things I _don't_ care about: very high pixel counts; 'macro' mode;
media type (as long as I can get the pictures into Lightroom without
too much pain); tripod mount/external flash connector; movie mode;
second hand vs. new.

Any recommendations?

Panasonic's LX1 comes to mind. Now that the LX2 has been released, the
older version should be available at a reasonable price, and the extra 2
MP on the newer version (8 vs 10) doesn't make much difference.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicLX1/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicLX2/

-dms
Old October 19th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jpc

wrote:

I've got an EOS 350D, and I'm very happy with it. But I'd like
something I can carry around all the time.

The most important requirement is that it be small and light; ideally
it should fit in a coat pocket.

Other things I care about: fine control over exposure (for instance
the equivalent of the Canon's Av/Tv+EC); shooting in RAW, so I'm not
stuck the wrong side of an in-camera JPEG implementation; a reasonably
fast shooting rate.

Things I _don't_ care about: very high pixel counts; 'macro' mode;
media type (as long as I can get the pictures into Lightroom without
too much pain); tripod mount/external flash connector; movie mode;
second hand vs. new.

Any recommendations?

I recently bought a Oly SP-350 that I very happy with. Price is now
about $225 on the internet and it has everythiing you want plus a
buch of the other stuff which comes along for free.

After buying the high speed XD card and upgrade the firmware to fix a
wierd battery battery problem, I've been showing the 11 by 14 prints
my toy camera produces to a group wedded to high end DSLR and MF film.
So far I've got three of them thinkiing about buying a toy camera
for their pocket.

jpc