Google gives away Picasa photo software

Old July 17th 04, 01:29 PM
Sabineellen

Default Google gives away Picasa photo software

I don't like the fuzzy appearance on-screen.

what fuzzy appearance?
Old July 17th 04, 07:18 PM
Tim Smith

On 2004-07-17, Sabineellen wrote:
I run spyware search and destroy and adaware regularly, they never
reported any problems with picasa. That said though, I did notice that
picasa was found by the firewall to be trying to connect to the internet,
though only initially when first isntalled.

It checks for updates. It also registers if you give it permission when it
asks, or if you select the register option from the Help menu, or (and this
is going to catch some people by surprise) if you select "Order Prints..."
from the File menu. Note that with this last one you could install, decline
to register for now, and then, while exploring the program, bring up the
"Order Prints..." dialog to see what it is like, and you end up registered
at whatever email address you've set up in Outlook Express, and soon receive
an email at that address thanking you for registration and giving tips to
get you started.

This is something that they probably should change, or they are going to get
accused of having spyware, and possibly of being spammers.

I verified the above on a WinXP system that all I'd ever done on was
install, configure Outlook Express, received one test mail and sent one test
mail to verify OE was configured correctly, and then went to Google and
downloaded and installed Picasa.

--
--Tim Smith
Old July 17th 04, 07:48 PM
Bob

has anyone ordered prints through them yet, and how is the quality, and what
is the cost?

thanks,

Bob

Old July 17th 04, 11:08 PM
Arte Phacting

It's cool - downloaded & installed. Thank you for the news and link.

I notice that it does not look at ease with IPTC info entered in IrfanView -
unless I am doing something wrong of course.

Is Google gonna be the next B-I-G name in digital image processing software?

Someone has to cater for the predicted 40% increase in digital camera owners
over the next year.

If anyone has any tips about how to retain IPTC info please let me (& us?)
know

TIA

Artie

"Fuzzy Logic" wrote in message
Picasa. Everything you need to enjoy your digital photos in a single
software product:

Auto-transfer photos from your digital camera.
Organize and find pictures in seconds.
Edit, print, and share photos with ease.
Create slideshows, order prints and more!
The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to your
computer.

This software is Windows® compatible.

Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a better,
more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not delete or
move the location of pictures saved on your PC.

http://www.picasa.com/google/

Old July 22nd 04, 07:58 AM
Bill Turlock

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

Picasa. Everything you need to enjoy your digital photos in a single
software product:

Auto-transfer photos from your digital camera.
Organize and find pictures in seconds.
Edit, print, and share photos with ease.
Create slideshows, order prints and more!
The download itself contains only the Picasa software. Picasa will not
uninstall other programs or add any non-Picasa programs or files to your
computer.

This software is Windows® compatible.

Picasa works with the digital photo files on your PC to create a better,
more organized viewing and editing experience. Picasa will not delete or
move the location of pictures saved on your PC.

http://www.picasa.com/google/

I read the EULA after d/l, found it too onerous--wanted to do its
own updates & stuff w/o my permission. Didn't install it,
deleted.

Bill