High zoom cameras

Old July 19th 04, 09:19 PM
Alfred Molon

Default High zoom cameras

Which of the compact cameras with at least 3MP and an 8x or more zoom
(at least 300mm at the tele end in 35mm equivalence) is best in terms of
image quality ? I was thinking of using one in the tropical rainforest,
where illumination conditions are not always perfect.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 19th 04, 11:04 PM
David J Taylor

Alfred Molon wrote:
Which of the compact cameras with at least 3MP and an 8x or more zoom
(at least 300mm at the tele end in 35mm equivalence) is best in terms
of image quality ? I was thinking of using one in the tropical
rainforest, where illumination conditions are not always perfect.

I would look at the Nikon Coolpix 5700 or 8700 for that sort of job. I
believe that the sensor and lens are very well matched resulting in
excellent image quality. Its maximum zoom is 280mm.

If you need more zoom, and image stabilisation because of low light
conditions, then Panasonic FZ10, Canon S1 IS or Minolta Z3 might be worth
a look.

Cheers,
David

Old July 20th 04, 12:35 AM
Arte Phacting

You may need to consider humidity as the major factor and powering the
device and the next most important.

The first will probably be handled quite well with a waterproof surround
provided it does not steam up on the inside particularly in front of the
lens.

IMHO go for AA powered kit as a universal spec for all battery powered kit
unless you have quite a bulky weight limit.

An alternative way to plan is to decide your weight limit first and chuch
out kit until you meet the weight limit.

have phun!

Artie

Old July 20th 04, 01:58 AM
Sabineellen

IMHO go for AA powered kit as a universal spec for all battery powered kit
unless you have quite a bulky weight limit.

I second this suggestion. AA all the way.

Old July 20th 04, 06:37 AM
Kimberlee

I'm not familiar with Nikon, but the Canon S1 IS is an awesome camera.
I am very impressed with the quality, and you can't beat Canon optics.
I wouldn't go with the Dimage line, unless they've improved the digital
zoom.
Canon is the first digital zoom that's actually usable.
~Kimberlee

Old July 20th 04, 07:42 AM
Alfred Molon

Kimberlee wrote:
I'm not familiar with Nikon, but the Canon S1 IS is an awesome camera.
I am very impressed with the quality, and you can't beat Canon optics.

What about noise levels and chromatic aberrations ? Are there reviews of
this camera ?
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 20th 04, 07:55 AM
David J Taylor

Kimberlee wrote:
I'm not familiar with Nikon, but the Canon S1 IS is an awesome camera.

It is also a rather small number of megapixels.

I am very impressed with the quality, and you can't beat Canon optics.

Well, that's your view! Both Nikon and Canon make excellent optics, and
Leica has a good reputation.

I wouldn't go with the Dimage line, unless they've improved the
digital zoom.
Canon is the first digital zoom that's actually usable.
~Kimberlee

What makes you say that about Canon's digital zoom?

Cheers,
David

Old July 20th 04, 10:17 AM
Arte Phacting

I don't know if I'd be too happy taking unprotected electronic kit into a
tropical rain forest

Maybe this is one for mechanical cameras without electronics

Reason is: electronics, humidity, precipitation, wet damp & clammy
conditions can work together but it takes protection of some form

Artie

Old July 20th 04, 12:17 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:35:21 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
wrote:

You may need to consider humidity as the major factor

I was going to say ...

He may not be very happy with any digital camera in 100%+
humidity, or with any electronic camera for that matter.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 20th 04, 01:15 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"Hans-Georg" == Hans-Georg Michna writes:

Hans-Georg On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:35:21 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
Hans-Georg wrote:

You may need to consider humidity as the major factor

Hans-Georg I was going to say ...

Hans-Georg He may not be very happy with any digital camera in 100%+
Hans-Georg humidity, or with any electronic camera for that matter.

Hans-Georg Hans-Georg

Get a waterproof case. Canon has these cases for some of their models.

I wonder what folks did in the good old days in the rain forest with
35mm cameras?

Good luck