ShutterXtreme forum topic.

Old January 28th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default ShutterXtreme forum topic.

www.shutterxtreme.com

OK, I see where you are going. Our vision of this site was simple. We
felt that there was too much butt kissing at the other site. If you
noticed, for the most part, everyone gave gavels to match what the
stars were. For example, I would give 2 stars with detailed comments
and would receive 2 gavels back, BUT if I kissed butt and lied I would
get 5 gavels back. We found this to be unfair to not only the
photographer but to the reviewer as well.

This is a VERY open review format. We feel that everyone has the right
to express themselves as they see fit, good or bad. Not everyone will
know what you were thinking when you took the shot. This is true if you
went to an art gallery. Do you buy every piece of art that you see? I
don't. Do you have an opinion about different styles? Yes, I do too.
Unlike an art gallery, here you can express how you feel, what you
like, what you don't like, how it can be improved, or not.

You as the photographer must understand that your photography isn't
what everyone is going to like. I see it everyday when I check reviews.
I can watch one specific member's reviews and see how they favor
certain styles, and get pretty harsh with others. Everyone does it.
Even those who say they don't do. I gave an example before of one
member that was giving higher stars for macros, but average to common
shots. Is this wrong? I don't believe it is. This person is consistent
with every photo that he/she reviews.

The bottom line is not every member is a professional here, and
although we welcome true professional, we would rather have our not so
perfect photographer that are trying to better themselves as
photographers. It takes time to learn how to review. It also takes time
to learn how to take interesting photographs. If you put an average
photo up, you going to get an average review minus technical issues.

This site can be used in so many different ways. Most everyone uses it
for the cash & prize contests. If this is the case, you as
photographers might need to re-think about the photos you are taking,
or at the least posting for review points.

Everyone should embrace there own style and enjoy what you can produce,
and members should at the least respect different styles. If your in it
for the money then like any business you must produce what your
customers like. For ShutterXtreme, your customers are the members. As
the membership grows, you might find a lot of people that are very
interested in your unique style. If you are constantly getting low
reviews, re-think what you are posting and try something new.

As for reviewing the reviewer. At this time we did not and do not have
plans for a "Gavel" style comment for the reviewer. Lets take, for
example, the problem in the forum with photographers voicing their
opinion on the reviews. We have lost members due to this. We don't
believe that allowing members to directly dispute a review with another
members will help either one of them. It will only stir the pot.

If you have only one review that is out of the normal from the other
reviews, just ignore that review. I know it's hard for some to swallow
their pride, but this is what it is all about. That was their opinion,
and arguing about it will not change how they feel about it, and the
points cannot be changed. If most of your reviews said it sucked,
boring, or average well it is what it is.

To re-assure you all, yes we check reviews to make sure that not any
one members is cheating specific members out. Everyone has been out of
the normal view of a photograph. This is high or low. Why doesn't
anyone ever post a complaint saying that they received too many points
for a photo? Simple, because at the end of the day it's all about the
money.

I welcome anyone to look at my bio and tell me how many of those photos
are 8 star photos and above. As a matter of fact, I think this would be
a great exercise. This will let everyone see the diversity of our
members. I have my own opinion about my work, but I promise you that
everyone will see it differently. Be honest in your assessment as well.

As for posting complaints in the forum about reviews, I don't like it.
Again, there isn't much we can do about it. We are trying to keep this
forum open for all discussions. The day we start making rules in the
forum, is the day we start to loose our freedom of expression. I hope
we never have to do that. I would urge all members to not post
complaints in the forum. It is not helping anyone. I would suggest
opening a discussion about the photo not the reviewer.

Whew!!! Now that was long winded.

Some of the topics up for discussion