How to get a saved 72-dpi image to 300dpi?

Old January 4th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default How to get a saved 72-dpi image to 300dpi?

Hello. Is there some way of taking a 72-dpi image and somehow
squeezing more detail out of it? I've got a photo that was done at 72
dpi but the publisher needs 300 dpi to work with. As a newcomer to
digital photography I tried printing the 72 at highest quality and then
scanned the result at 300, but I think that the result was necessarily
infreior. Any help? Many thanks. John

Old January 4th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Is there some way of taking a 72-dpi image and somehow squeezing more detail out of it?

Adding detail is not possible under any circumstances. The information
is simply not there, and cannot be introduced externally. You can
easily convert 72dpi to 300dpi, but all you'll get is a blurry or
pixelized image (which is likely what you got when you rescanned).

There are software packages that 'try' to add detail, but all they do
is introduce noise into the image.

The only way to add detail is to re-shoot, re-scan, or otherwise
recreate the image at a higher dpi from its original analog source.

Sorry! ;-)

BD

Old January 4th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

BD wrote:
Is there some way of taking a 72-dpi image and somehow squeezing
more detail out of it?

Adding detail is not possible under any circumstances. The
information
is simply not there, and cannot be introduced externally. You can
easily convert 72dpi to 300dpi, but all you'll get is a blurry or
pixelized image (which is likely what you got when you rescanned).

There are software packages that 'try' to add detail, but all they
do
is introduce noise into the image.

The only way to add detail is to re-shoot, re-scan, or otherwise
recreate the image at a higher dpi from its original analog source.

Sorry! ;-)

What are the pixel dimensions of the image you have?

Where are you finding the information that it is a "72-dpi image"?

With those items of intelligence, you'll get more useful answers, I
think.

I mean a greater number of pertinent responses.

--
Frank S

Old January 4th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

What is the file size? DPI is a printer instruction.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
oups.com...

Old January 4th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

No. Reshoot or rescan the photo at a higher resolution. What you did
was the equivilant of photocopying a hundred dollar bill at 300%
enlargement and then trying to claim that the copy is now worth $300.
Not so much.

That said, if I were you I'd spend some time googling around on this
topic. If you're printing things out and rescanning them with the idea
that you're somehow doing your photos a favour, any publisher getting
those images is going to immediately mark you in their Roladex as being
mildly retarded and will probably never call you again.

Old January 4th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Print the image at slightly less than one-quarter its current size and
it will be approximately 300 dpi.

Old January 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I take all my photos on the highest resolution, ( I have a Canon Rebel XT,
8.2 MP). All the photos are 72 DPI but the pixel size is something like
3400 X 2300. I also was told that the photo to be printed should be 300
DPI, but if you have a photo this size it is my understanding that printing
it should be no problem.

oups.com...

Old January 5th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Frank ess" wrote in message
BD wrote:
[...]

Agreed. The most important info is the pixel dimensions, as your
software is calculating DPI based on the size that you have tacitly decided
to print at. If you want to print at a smaller size, input the print size
data and then the calculated printing DPI automatically goes up.

Dave