20D/Rebel XT lens confusion

Old March 6th 05, 06:09 AM
Kevin Stevens

Default 20D/Rebel XT lens confusion

Ok, I'm confused now...

I'd like to buy a 20D or 350D/Rebel XT, and I want the 18-55 IS EF-S
lens. My confusion lies in that there seem to be several "kit" lenses
being offered with these cameras. Amazon has the 20D with a USM 18-55
EF-S, but it doesn't seem to be IS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d=1110088531/s
r=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2142270-9810543?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

And they have the Rebel XT with a 18-55 EF-S non-USM EF-S, which doesn't
seem to be IS either:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2-2142270-9810
543?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

TIA

KeS
Old March 6th 05, 06:42 AM
Kevin Stevens

Kevin Stevens wrote:

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

Or am I *really* confused, and neither of the 18-55's is IS because I'm
mixing it up with the 17-85 EF-S IS?

KeS
Old March 6th 05, 07:14 AM
Jay Beckman

"Kevin Stevens" wrote in message
Kevin Stevens wrote:

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

Or am I *really* confused, and neither of the 18-55's is IS because I'm
mixing it up with the 17-85 EF-S IS?

KeS

Kevin,

To the best of my knowledge there is no IS available for the 18-55 EF-S
lens.

I have seen mention of an 18-55 EF-S II (two) lens in the dpreview.com
PREview of the Rebel XT. I do not know if it is IS or not.

Jay

Old March 6th 05, 09:59 AM
G.T.

Kevin Stevens wrote:

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

Or am I *really* confused, and neither of the 18-55's is IS because I'm
mixing it up with the 17-85 EF-S IS?

The only kit lens is the 18-55mm non-USM, non-IS. Retailers may create a
kit with the 17-85 IS but the Canon kit is the plain 18-55mm.

Greg

Old March 6th 05, 10:08 AM
G.T.

Kevin Stevens wrote:

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

Or am I *really* confused, and neither of the 18-55's is IS because I'm
mixing it up with the 17-85 EF-S IS?

KeS

Kevin,

To the best of my knowledge there is no IS available for the 18-55 EF-S
lens.

I have seen mention of an 18-55 EF-S II (two) lens in the dpreview.com
PREview of the Rebel XT. I do not know if it is IS or not.

The II has only cosmetic differences. There is no IS 18-55, there is a USM
version, though.

Greg

Old March 6th 05, 01:16 PM
Skip M

Kevin Stevens wrote:

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

Or am I *really* confused, and neither of the 18-55's is IS because I'm
mixing it up with the 17-85 EF-S IS?

The only kit lens is the 18-55mm non-USM, non-IS. Retailers may create a
kit with the 17-85 IS but the Canon kit is the plain 18-55mm.

Greg

The confusion may stem from the fact that Canon sells two 20D kits, one with
the 18-55 (USM version is only available in Japan, apparently) and the other
with the 17-85 IS, plus body only. With the RebelD/300D, there was only the
kit with the 18-55 and the body only. Whether Canon chooses to sell the IS
lens with the 350D as a kit or not is pretty much a matter of speculation.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 6th 05, 06:41 PM
G.T.

Kevin Stevens wrote:

Are there *three* different 18-55 EF-S lenses: non-USM, USM, and
USM/IS? Is the IS available as a kit lens with either the 20D or

Rebel
XT, or only as a separate purchase?

Or am I *really* confused, and neither of the 18-55's is IS because I'm
mixing it up with the 17-85 EF-S IS?

The only kit lens is the 18-55mm non-USM, non-IS. Retailers may create

kit with the 17-85 IS but the Canon kit is the plain 18-55mm.

Greg

The confusion may stem from the fact that Canon sells two 20D kits, one

with
the 18-55 (USM version is only available in Japan, apparently) and the

other
with the 17-85 IS, plus body only.

Yep, I shouldn't have posted at 2am after getting home from seeing Lutefisk,
Velouria, Fluorescein, Longstocking, and the Lisa Marr Experience at
Spaceland's 10th Anniversary. I should have brought my DR and the 35/2,
plenty of photo ops.

Greg