No more Contax... References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]>

Old March 5th 05, 05:44 AM
Ben Rosengart

Default No more Contax... References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]>

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:28:00 -0800, Skip M wrote:

Nice shots,

Thank you.

did you shoot them in greyscale, or convert from a color file?

I shot in RAW, then used the lightness channel in LAB mode.

Speaking of which -- here is my evidence that the lightness channel
is not the same as desaturation:

http://narcissus.net/blackandwhite/lightness.jpg
http://narcissus.net/blackandwhite/desat.jpg

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old March 5th 05, 11:11 AM
Skip M

"Ben Rosengart" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:28:00 -0800, Skip M wrote:

Nice shots,

Thank you.

did you shoot them in greyscale, or convert from a color file?

I shot in RAW, then used the lightness channel in LAB mode.

Speaking of which -- here is my evidence that the lightness channel
is not the same as desaturation:

http://narcissus.net/blackandwhite/lightness.jpg
http://narcissus.net/blackandwhite/desat.jpg

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400
x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

Hmm, don't see much difference. By the way, I'd have to disagree with you
on the thought that the B&W mode is ineffective. I get results with my 20D
set on B&W with the yellow "filter" and contrast at +1 that emulate Ilford
XP-2 very closely.
Example: (nude warning...)
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/KitchenNudeNo2.html

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 5th 05, 04:55 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:11:46 -0800, Skip M wrote:

Hmm, don't see much difference.

Maybe not, but there *is* a difference, don't you agree?

By the way, I'd have to disagree with you
on the thought that the B&W mode is ineffective.

Did I say that? I should say rather that I'm not usually happy with
the results from it on my pictures.

I get results with my 20D
set on B&W with the yellow "filter" and contrast at +1 that emulate Ilford
XP-2 very closely.
Example: (nude warning...)
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/KitchenNudeNo2.html

That's very nice.

Old March 5th 05, 05:39 PM
Skip M

"Ben Rosengart" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:11:46 -0800, Skip M wrote:

Hmm, don't see much difference.

Maybe not, but there *is* a difference, don't you agree?

By the way, I'd have to disagree with you
on the thought that the B&W mode is ineffective.

Did I say that? I should say rather that I'm not usually happy with
the results from it on my pictures.

I get results with my 20D
set on B&W with the yellow "filter" and contrast at +1 that emulate
Ilford
XP-2 very closely.
Example: (nude warning...)
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/KitchenNudeNo2.html

That's very nice.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400
x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

Thanks!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 5th 05, 08:36 PM
DoN. Nichols

Brian Baird wrote:
In article OtgWd.44700$xt.33304@fed1read07,
says...
Hmm, don't see much difference. By the way, I'd have to disagree with you
on the thought that the B&W mode is ineffective. I get results with my 20D
set on B&W with the yellow "filter" and contrast at +1 that emulate Ilford
XP-2 very closely.
Example: (nude warning...)
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/KitchenNudeNo2.html

Now you're cooking with GAS!

Hmm ... the burners are missing -- and there is not enough
detail in the web image (at least) for me to be sure that it is not
electric.

But I do find myself wondering how she *got* there, barefoot,
with all that junk on the floor. Or did she wear shoes, and then toss
them out of the image frame before the shot?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old March 5th 05, 10:26 PM
Alan Browne

Skip M wrote:

http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/KitchenNudeNo2.html

"Okay honey now that you've signed the release, let's just head on over
to my high tech studio..."

Old March 6th 05, 01:11 PM
Skip M

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
Brian Baird wrote:
[...]

Actually, her shoes and clothes are tucked behind the stove...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 6th 05, 01:11 PM
Skip M

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Skip M wrote:

http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/KitchenNudeNo2.html

"Okay honey now that you've signed the release, let's just head on over to
my high tech studio..."

Heheheh, that's what I tell all the girls... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com