FS: Contax 645 AF with 80mm & 140mm, $2995

Old February 22nd 05, 07:02 PM
Steve S

Default FS: Contax 645 AF with 80mm & 140mm, $2995

FS: Contax 645 AF with prism, back with insert, and 80mm F2.0 lens. Also
includes the Sonar 140mm f2.8 lens. The price is firm at $2995 and sales
will only be in the United States. It's in very good condition and the
lenses are clean. Intererested parties should contact

About the camera: Contax has been for years a well respected name in the
35mm world. The introduction of the Contax 645 a few years back was very
exciting. Afterall, it was the first 645 camera that used Ziess lenses, the
same ones as Hasseblad. There has been a whole generation of photographers
brought up on 35mm and digital cameras who don't have the time or desire to
shoot medium format because it's too slow for the way they work. This is an
excellent camera for them, because it functions much like a 35mm camera.
It's fast, and flexible. Yet, it's a medium format camera. It offers
optical resolution and dynamic range that the best digital cameras still
don't offer. For not much money than a brand new Fuji S3 body, you can have
this complete outfit, and you won't be outgrowing it in a few years.
The 80mm lens is fast at f2. Great for low light work, and it's easy to
focus. The 140mm is a portrait lens, at F2.8 it's bright and fast. Your
work will reach an entire new level of professionalism with this outfit, and
you will certainly be glad to use it for as long as they still make film.

About me: I'm a big fan of medium format. However, I shoot Mamiya 645. I
have a large Mamiya outfit, and though I shoot a lot with my digital camera,
I stilll love medium format. A photographer that I knew took on a new
career and sold me everything he owned. To be honest, I didn't want to
touch the Contax because I knew that if I did, I would fall in love with
it, and wouldn't want to use my huge arsenal of Mamiya equipment anymore.
He kept things in great shape. I checked out what this equipment is selling
for used, and it adds up to around $4000. I'm pricing it at $2995, and the
price is firm. Anything less, and I'll just keep it.