View Camera discussion group

Old June 23rd 04, 03:17 AM
Largformat

Default View Camera discussion group

Although I have thought about starting aView Camera magazine discussion group
before this recent round of ugliness has made me start plans for a View Camera
magazine discussion group on our web site. We wil start this foum at

www.viewcamera.com

on or about Aug. 1, 2004

We will have a panel of people ready to answer questions such as getting
started in LF, lenses, pyro, view camera technique, etc.

I have not decided if this will be open to anyone or just subscribers. Any
thoughts?

This new group will not tolerate the type of behavior that hasbeen repeatedly
displayed on this and other forums where posters engage in character
assasination and the name of the game is winning whatever the loss of civility
and respect occurs along the way.

Stay tuned. More info will be posted on our web site by mid July

steve simmons
Old June 23rd 04, 03:26 AM
one_of_many

?

has made me start plans for a View Camera
magazine discussion group on our web site. We wil start this foum at

www.viewcamera.com

on or about Aug. 1, 2004

We will have a panel of people ready to answer questions such as getting
started in LF, lenses, pyro, view camera technique, etc.

I have not decided if this will be open to anyone or just subscribers. Any
thoughts?

Subscribers only. Definitely.
Old June 23rd 04, 04:44 AM
Any Moose Poster

In article ,
(one_of_many) wrote:

Subscribers only. Definitely.

That will exclude you won't it John?
--
Duzz that A moose you ?
Old June 23rd 04, 05:04 AM
one_of_many

In article , Any Moose
Poster wrote:

In article ,
(one_of_many) wrote:

Subscribers only. Definitely.

That will exclude you won't it John?

Yep! Sure would! I get Steve's mags for nothing anyway. Enough is enough, eh?
Old June 23rd 04, 12:50 PM
Scott M. Knowles

(Largformat) wrote in message ...
Although I have thought about starting aView Camera magazine discussion group
before this recent round of ugliness has made me start plans for a View Camera
magazine discussion group on our web site. We wil start this foum at

www.viewcamera.com

on or about Aug. 1, 2004

I have not decided if this will be open to anyone or just subscribers. Any
thoughts?

That would be cool. Now I have to subscribe instead of buying
individual issues. Is it possible to buy past issues or articles in
past issues? I've found references to articles about lenses (Kerry
Thalmann reviews) to get a better understanding of the variety, but
can't find copies of them on-line.

Just a thought.

--Scott--
Old June 23rd 04, 01:58 PM
Largformat

Subject: View Camera discussion group
From: (Scott M. Knowles)
Date: 6/23/2004 5:50 AM Mountain Daylight Time
(Largformat) wrote in message
Although I have thought about starting aView Camera magazine discussion group
before this recent round of ugliness has made me start plans for a View

Camera
magazine discussion group on our web site. We wil start this foum at

www.viewcamera.com

on or about Aug. 1, 2004

I have not decided if this will be open to anyone or just subscribers. Any
thoughts?

That would be cool. Now I have to subscribe instead of buying
individual issues. Is it possible to buy past issues or articles in
past issues? I've found references to articles about lenses (Kerry
Thalmann reviews) to get a better understanding of the variety, but
can't find copies of them on-line.

Just a thought.

--Scott--

We have a CD with all of our lens articles in PDF format
Old June 23rd 04, 04:20 PM
Leonard Evens

Scott M. Knowles wrote:
(Largformat) wrote in message ...

Although I have thought about starting aView Camera magazine discussion group
before this recent round of ugliness has made me start plans for a View Camera
magazine discussion group on our web site. We wil start this foum at

www.viewcamera.com

on or about Aug. 1, 2004

I have not decided if this will be open to anyone or just subscribers. Any
thoughts?

That would be cool. Now I have to subscribe instead of buying
individual issues. Is it possible to buy past issues or articles in
past issues? I've found references to articles about lenses (Kerry
Thalmann reviews) to get a better understanding of the variety, but
can't find copies of them on-line.

Just a thought.

--Scott--

I am a subscriber to View Camera Magazine, and I plan to continue to
subscribe. I find it useful, but the quality of the technical articles
is somewhat variable. Some of them are first rate, but others show less
knowledge than what is commonly found in the large format forums at
photo.net or www.largeformatphotography.info. Forums often produce
contentious discussions about various points like depth of field and
numerous other issues. It would be nice to have one forum where real
experts could provide the true facts in answers to questions, but I fear
choosing such "experts" would be a formidable task. So I think yet
another forum under the direction of View Camera editors might add more
heat than light.

Old June 23rd 04, 04:32 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Leonard Evens wrote:

I am a subscriber to View Camera Magazine, and I plan to continue to
subscribe. I find it useful, but the quality of the technical articles
is somewhat variable. Some of them are first rate, but others show less
knowledge than what is commonly found in the large format forums at
photo.net or www.largeformatphotography.info. Forums often produce
contentious discussions about various points like depth of field and
numerous other issues. It would be nice to have one forum where real
experts could provide the true facts in answers to questions, but I fear
choosing such "experts" would be a formidable task. So I think yet
another forum under the direction of View Camera editors might add more
heat than light.

I have subscribed to View Camera Magazine from time to time, and may do so
again. I sometimes find it useful, but agree with you about the
variability of the quality of the articles. I suppose this is unavoidable
unless Steve chooses to change it into a professional journal and have all
the articles refereed by professionals in the field before publication.
This would probably not make economic sense.

I not, though, that Steve probably has just the contacts needed so he
would be more able to get qualified participants in his proposed forum
than for the rest of us to get them in this unmoderated group. We have had
experts here in the past, but the boring repetition, the tedious attacks,
etc., tend to drive them away. AFAIK, Richard Knoppow is the only one
left, but I may have overlooked someone.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 11:25:00 up 1 day, 56 min, 4 users, load average: 4.04, 4.08, 4.08