Ken Rockwell's images from Canon's new 50MP DSLR are...peculiar!

Old March 31st 15, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

Default Ken Rockwell's images from Canon's new 50MP DSLR are...peculiar!

On 2015-03-28 22:33:30 +0000, RichA said:

He used some kind of image-processing software of his own making and
what it did was fill the image with weird, grainy-like artifacts. I've
never seen anything quite like it. If you look at the blue apples in
the picture of the woman you'll see some kind of lines on the edges.
Could be the pixel divisions are emphasized.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/ima...image-full.jpg

Way, way way over-sharpened. This is pretty common these days.

Lots of vertical lines too. All in all, some really strange artifacts.
These are especially visible in the roses around the woman's
ridiculous head foliage.

Old March 31st 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 2015-03-28 22:33:30 +0000, RichA said:

He used some kind of image-processing software of his own making and
what it did was fill the image with weird, grainy-like artifacts.
I've never seen anything quite like it. If you look at the blue
apples in the picture of the woman you'll see some kind of lines on
the edges. Could be the pixel divisions are emphasized.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/ima...image-full.jpg

Way, way way over-sharpened. This is pretty common these days.

Lots of vertical lines too. All in all, some really strange artifacts.
These are especially visible in the roses around the woman's ridiculous
head foliage.

It's ken rockwell's "one click to turn snapshot into masterpiece with
magic software" (in his opinion) that he's used to destroy what was one
of Canon's sample image from the 5DS. I couldn't find the original, but
Canon's same-scene sample with the 5DSR is still on their site.
KR's miracle software looks like it's sharpened with (very) wide radius,
as well as over sharpened with small radius, tone-mapped to brighten
shadows, saturation boost, warm colour shift. Voilą.
Now he's probably entitled to post that under "fair use" - but if I'd
been the photographer for Canon - I'd be ****ed off, and as it's shown
as part of one of KR's so-called camera "reviews" (he frequently writes
full reviews on gear he's never seen or used), it probably wouldn't
please Canon much either.

Old March 31st 15, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-28 22:33:30 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

Ć*.Now he's probably entitled to post that under "fair use" - but if I'd
been the photographer for Canon - I'd be ****ed off, and as it's shown
as part of one of KR's so-called camera "reviews" (he frequently writes
full reviews on gear he's never seen or used), it probably wouldn't
please Canon much either.

It is a "one-stop-fixes-all" plug-in for Photoshop & Lightroom. It is a
one trick pony, overpriced at $149 for each app, or $200 for a PS and
LR plug-in bundle. This is for folks who cannot be bothered to work on
their images in post processing. I suspect that KR has monetized a
promotion from Athen Tech. He is an unabashed mercenary after all.
http://www.athentech.com/products/plugins/

If you want to go the plug-in route there are better offerings which
function as plug-ins or stand-alone from NIK, On1, and Alien Skin.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
http://www.on1.com
http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/

Savageduck

Old March 31st 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-28 22:33:30 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

Here are a bunch of the sample shots untainted by Ken.

https://photographylife.com/canon-5ds-and-5ds-r-image-samples
They include the "blue apples" shot.
https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Canon-5DS-R-Image-Samples-1.jpg

Savageduck

Old March 31st 15, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-03-28 22:33:30 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

Here is a 400% crop of the image without the KR input. Guess what? The
banding isn't visible.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_57.jpg

Savageduck

Old March 31st 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2015-03-28 22:33:30 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

It seems that the artifacts are entirely Ken's fault as they can not be
detected in the untainted version.