Camera JPEG engines

Old November 19th 12, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Camera JPEG engines

I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 19th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 00:33:44 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

Several cameras include a jpeg 'preview' in the raw file. That's what I
use - shoot raw only and check the embedded jpeg before I process.
Old November 19th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-11-18 15:33:44 -0800, Alfred Molon said:

I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I usually shoot RAW only, and I guess that is in part due to some
control issues on my part. I just prefer the leeway I have with a RAW
files in post processing.

When I have had cameras which only offered JPEG I was always surprised
by the quality of the results using the available camera settings.

I shoot RAW+JPEG with my D300S when there are other folks involved, so
I can provide immediate images for some friends and family. That is
usually at some event such as the looming Thanksgiving Day holiday.

With my G11 there is no RAW only mode, so it is RAW+JPEG with that when
using AV, EV, P, or M modes. If any of the program modes are selected
the only option is JPEG. I have toyed with those from time to time and
have again been surprised at the more than acceptable results.

There have been times when I am just shooting snapshots with my G11
and/or my iPhone, and so shot JPEG only and I have been quite happy
with the results. However I remain anal enough to shoot RAW only 99% of
the time so I can entertain myself playing with post processing.

Savageduck

Old November 19th 12, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , tony cooper
says...
The rest of the time I'll shoot RAW only.

Is the JPEG output of your camera so bad?
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 19th 12, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 18/11/2012 23:33, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

For my purposes, the JPEG output is just fine (from my Nikon D5000), and
has been OK with the limited amount of shooting on my Sony HX200V. The
Nikon has dynamic range extension - "Active-D lighting" - which I always
have enabled.

I would only use RAW in exceptional circumstances.
--
Cheers,
David
Old November 19th 12, 09:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 18/11/2012 23:33, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

There is not enough time in the day to shoot everything in RAW and post
process. Highest quality JPEG is generally very good on most decent
cameras and has been for ages. Some are actually faithfully digitising
the thermal noise as well as the image - wasting space on the card.

The days when JPEGs quality names were inflated so that "Good" = "Bad",
"Very Good" = "Good" and "Excellent" = "Very Good" are long gone!

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

Mostly those including insane dynamic range where shadow detail and
highlights are both simultaneously important. Weddings being an obvious
situation where you will need to use post processing or risk disaster.

Martin Brown
Old November 19th 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

On 11/18/2012 3:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I used to shoot RAW all the time then later changed to shooting
high-quality JPEG for most of my pictures to reduce processing time.
That's when I used to spend more time processing my shots than taking
the shots. Besides that, I now tend to use Active D-lighting should I
think the scene would be enhanced using the D-lighting feature.

When in doubt about the lighting of a scene, I'll shoot RAW+JPEG just in
case the color temperature may need to be adjusted or other features may
need to be adjusted, for which RAW is best suited to the task.

However, over a period of time I've come to the conclusion that
high-quality JPEG is very suitable for the type of pictures I like to take.

Old November 19th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
the Legend of LAX

On 11/18/2012 3:33 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I started shooting RAW+JPEG because a magazine I submit to required RAW.
I shoot the jpeg at a reduced size to use as a quick reference & so I
can see a thumbnail of a picture in Windows since I don't know how to
make Windows display a thumbnail of a RAW image. I am using a Canon 7D.

I use Capture One to process the RAWs. It does a better job than I can
get with a jpeg, & it doesn't take a lot of time.

--
Dale G Elhardt AG6MA
Cypress Ca

Old November 19th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 19/11/2012 10:33 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I only shoot JPG and only in exceptional circumstances will make a RAW
or HDR file. Can't afford the card/HDD space. I will only get ~1400
fine JPG images on a 32Gb card. NEF 12 bit lossless make 32mb 14bit
lossless make 41MB files and a large tiff 108.2 Mb.

As for as I can tell my JPG images have enough information to make large
prints.
Old November 20th 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Alfred Molon writes:

I'd be curious about your opinion/experience with the JPEG output of
today's cameras. Do you only shoot RAW and postprocess everything, or
RAW+JPEG and only postprocess selectively, or do you only shoot JPEG?

My personal experience is that the JPEG output of modern cameras is not
bad, sometimes surprisingly good, and -if the camera is set up properly-
only a certain percentage of images need RAW processing.

I have almost no experience with camera JPEG engines, because I shoot
everything RAW.

However, from my little experience, and what I read from others, your
suggestion that the JPEG output is often surprisingly good seems to be
true; certainly for snapshots, event photos, stuff you're not going to
do half an hour or so of work on an individual photo getting to
"exhibition quality" prints. (Nailing the exposure is almost always
more important than setting the JPEG engine in the camera up right; just
avoid any extreme settings, and you should do okay there.)

For me, event photos are exactly where I need the safety margin RAW
provides, though -- there are no do-overs, and the tradeoff between
"fast" and "perfect" often has to be made in favor of "fast" or you may
miss the shot entirely. When I get a good exposure, RAW rarely adds
much; but when I *don't*, RAW frequently lets me pull a good-looking
photo out.

Yeah, after 40+ years, I still don't nail exposures perfectly each time.
Whoda thunkit? I think I've tended to go for "faster" whenever the
choice comes up. I often get photos because I *didn't* take time to go
for perfect at the moment they occurred, and am able to get a good print
from the RAW file later. If I'd spent extra time fixing the exposure, I
wouldn't have gotten the photo at all.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info