Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

Old October 11th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable forphotography

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:39:21 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

there is no gain in cutting off significant amounts of useful
software.

Agreed again, and on Macs you can run Mac OS X, windows and linux you
can even have windows and Mac OS X running at the same time using the
same processor. With a PC you can't, with a PC you can't run Mac OS X
only linux and windows.

I'll be sure to tell that to my friend who DOES that (run MAC OS/X on
an MS machine).

he had to spend quite a bit of time to get it to work, time that could
be better spent doing useful work. worse, he has to continue to spend
time maintaining it, since updates frequently break the mods needed to
get it to work in the first place.

Doesn't really require much time at all.

also, be sure to tell him he's in violation of the eula.

I believe he knows that. It is also true that copyright law gives you the
legal right to do that. So what's the final outcome?

and by the way, microsoft doesn't make machines, they only make an
operating system.

Absolutely, but MOST computers come with MS pre-installed.

For me that makes Macs a better choice for those that might want to,
whereas my brother only wants to run a tiger woods golf gamne so I'm
advising him to buy almost any PC.

If 'more restrictive' licensing is your criteria, then I guess that
fits.

maybe his criteria is using software that does what he wants, and that
the 'more restrictive' licensing is not an issue.

what are these restrictions that you find to be a problem?

The restriction that apple EULA only wants you to run on their specific,
proprietary hardware.
Old October 11th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 10/9/2012 1:18 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , ray
wrote:

Yeah, whatever. The point is that you don't have to run the MAC OS on
the MAC computer.

why buy a mac, if not to run mac os?

In this particular case, because the hardware (monitor in particular) is
reputed to be 'the best'.

windows apps aren't going to take advantage of the retina display, so
buying a macbook retina solely to install windows is actually stupid.

Windows 8 supports the retina display. Apps that support it are likely
to soon follow. But the reality is, that for now, you can run OS-X and a
photo app, while running other apps under Windows.

You'd be surprised how many people buy Mac hardware and run Windows on
it because they like the Apple hardware but need to run apps that aren't
available on OS-X. The extra cost of the Mac hardware is not an issue.
Apple could sell a lot more Macbooks if they made dual boot an
extra-cost option and they installed both OSes.

The Apple stores are a big advantage that drive Mac sales even to those
customers that will run Windows. My friend's Macbook had the infamous
screen separation problem, he brought it in, and they replaced it free,
even though it was out of warranty. They said that because it was a
design and manufacturing flaw, not anything he did to cause the problem,
they would take care of him. His daughter had the problem with the
Macbook power adapter, and even before the class action lawsuit where
Apple agreed to free replacements, they gave her a no-questions asked
free replacement because they were well aware of the problem. Apple was
fixing Macbooks for the Nvidia GPU problem even before the class-action
against all laptop makers using the Nvidia GPU with the thermal issues.
You don't get the same level of service from other PC makers that sell
at Fry's, Costco, and Best Buy.

I think it helps that Apple is such a high-profile company. Making
things right doesn't cost them much, does wonders for customer loyalty,
and gains them good publicity.
Old October 11th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

there is no gain in cutting off significant amounts of useful
software.

Agreed again, and on Macs you can run Mac OS X, windows and linux you
can even have windows and Mac OS X running at the same time using the
same processor. With a PC you can't, with a PC you can't run Mac OS X
only linux and windows.

I'll be sure to tell that to my friend who DOES that (run MAC OS/X on
an MS machine).

he had to spend quite a bit of time to get it to work, time that could
be better spent doing useful work. worse, he has to continue to spend
time maintaining it, since updates frequently break the mods needed to
get it to work in the first place.

Doesn't really require much time at all.

it's time that can be better spent doing useful stuff, rather than
trying to get things working.

also, be sure to tell him he's in violation of the eula.

I believe he knows that. It is also true that copyright law gives you the
legal right to do that. So what's the final outcome?

copyright law does no such thing. where in the world did you come up
with that rubbish??

and by the way, microsoft doesn't make machines, they only make an
operating system.

Absolutely, but MOST computers come with MS pre-installed.

macs don't, and just because microsoft windows is preinstalled on
windows pcs does not make it a microsoft pc any more than it makes it a
norton pc (which is also often preinstalled).

For me that makes Macs a better choice for those that might want to,
whereas my brother only wants to run a tiger woods golf gamne so I'm
advising him to buy almost any PC.

If 'more restrictive' licensing is your criteria, then I guess that
fits.

maybe his criteria is using software that does what he wants, and that
the 'more restrictive' licensing is not an issue.

what are these restrictions that you find to be a problem?

The restriction that apple EULA only wants you to run on their specific,
proprietary hardware.

all hardware is proprietary.

go design your own motherboard if you want non-proprietary hardware.
have fun.
Old October 11th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

Yeah, whatever. The point is that you don't have to run the MAC OS on
the MAC computer.

why buy a mac, if not to run mac os?

In this particular case, because the hardware (monitor in particular) is
reputed to be 'the best'.

windows apps aren't going to take advantage of the retina display, so
buying a macbook retina solely to install windows is actually stupid.

Windows 8 supports the retina display. Apps that support it are likely
to soon follow. But the reality is, that for now, you can run OS-X and a
photo app, while running other apps under Windows.

windows 8 isn't out yet, but that's encouraging when it does ship,
assuming people actually migrate to it. from the reactions i've seen so
far, that's not a given.

anyway, it will still be awhile until apps support retina displays,
since there really isn't any demand for it, at least not yet. nearly
all windows pcs do not have a high resolution display, so why bother.

You'd be surprised how many people buy Mac hardware and run Windows on
it because they like the Apple hardware but need to run apps that aren't
available on OS-X.

no i wouldn't. a lot of people buy macs and run windows in addition to
os x. some people even buy macs *just* to run windows because the
hardware is much nicer.

The extra cost of the Mac hardware is not an issue.

that's because there is no extra cost. prices are similar for similar
specs.

Apple could sell a lot more Macbooks if they made dual boot an
extra-cost option and they installed both OSes.

they already offer that option, and for *free*.

boot camp is included and all you need to do is double-click boot camp
assistant and provide a windows install disc, which many people already
have.

also, apple is selling all that they can make as it is. their sales are
outpacing the market as a whole. they're also selling a *lot* more
ipads and iphones, which is the future.

[...]

very true. this is something people neglect to consider when looking
only at the sticker price.

i know someone who had a flaky macbook and apple replaced it with a new
macbook, which was a couple of revisions newer than the one he had. he
got a free upgrade.

I think it helps that Apple is such a high-profile company. Making
things right doesn't cost them much, does wonders for customer loyalty,
and gains them good publicity.

also true.
Old October 11th 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 11/10/2012 18:09, nospam wrote:
[]
windows 8 isn't out yet, but that's encouraging when it does ship,
assuming people actually migrate to it. from the reactions i've seen so
far, that's not a given.

anyway, it will still be awhile until apps support retina displays,
since there really isn't any demand for it, at least not yet. nearly
all windows pcs do not have a high resolution display, so why bother.

[]

Actually, Windows-8 /is/ out, but only to manufacturers and some others
- e.g. MSDN subscribers. That's the vanilla version without PC
manufacturers' bloat^H^H^H^H customisations. I have it running on a
couple of PCs here, and it has some really nice features (once I
restored a start menu!).

But I don't see much of a need to upgrade existing Windows-7 systems for
most users. Windows-8 is very similar to Windows-7 once a start menu is
restored, with the additional tile-based "Metro" applications on the
home screen. So far, I've not needed to run any of those. Both PCs I
have are without touch-sensitive screens.

I'm unsure what the display resolution limit is for high-end video cards
with Windows. I see an Nvida and other cards listed as up to 2560x1600
pixels, which is not far off 2880 x 1800.

I have been impressed with the display on the iPad3 (2048 x 1536
pixels), at least with its resolution, if not its accuracy with the
darker shades of grey! It's easier on the eye when reading text, and
the difference on images is just noticeable if you look closely.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 12th 12, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 12/10/2012 11:22, Whisky-dave wrote:
[]
When I buy my OS X I can install it on virtually all my home computers at NO extra cost. Fopr Under £20 I';ve installed it on the two computers I want to npow how many copies of windows 7 and how much would they cost me to install W7 each computer, I need two copies don;t I at over £100 for the cheapest version.
And why have a restricted license via differnt versions of W7?

MS licenses are genrally far more retrictive, any mac app I buy I can install on all my home machines at no extra cost, now could you do that at home with MS Word, legally of course.

You might look at some of the "family" or "student" licences which
Microsoft offer. They are available for MS Office, I understand, and
possibly for Windows as well.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/micros...66741-pdt.html

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

Don't forget that for a limited period, Microsoft is offering Windows-8
upgrade licences for about £14, IIRC.

Oh, and you can get free "Office" syuites:

http://www.openoffice.org/
http://www.libreoffice.org/download

and run the same software on PC, Ma and Linux.

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 12th 12, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 03:22:46 -0700, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:22:01 PM UTC+1, ray wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 03:24:27 -0700, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:18:37 PM UTC+1, nospam wrote:

In article , ray

wrote:

Yeah, whatever. The point is that you don't have to run the MAC
OS

on

the MAC computer.

why buy a mac, if not to run mac os?

In this particular case, because the hardware (monitor in
particular)

is

reputed to be 'the best'.

windows apps aren't going to take advantage of the retina display,
so

buying a macbook retina solely to install windows is actually
stupid.

I'd agree with that,

Personally, I don't use MAC or MS.

your loss.

No, my gain.

there is no gain in cutting off significant amounts of useful
software.

Agreed again, and on Macs you can run Mac OS X, windows and linux you

can even have windows and Mac OS X running at the same time using the

same processor. With a PC you can't, with a PC you can't run Mac OS X

only linux and windows.

I'll be sure to tell that to my friend who DOES that (run MAC OS/X on
an

MS machine).

Perhaps you should ask you friend what MS machine he is running it on,
as far as I know MS don;t make PCs they only hardware they make is the
Xbox and the zune.

Most retail computers come with MS pre-installed.

For me that makes Macs a better choice for those that might want to,

whereas my brother only wants to run a tiger woods golf gamne so I'm

advising him to buy almost any PC.

If 'more restrictive' licensing is your criteria, then I guess that
fits.

When I buy my OS X I can install it on virtually all my home computers
at NO extra cost. Fopr Under £20 I';ve installed it on the two computers
I want to npow how many copies of windows 7 and how much would they cost
me to install W7 each computer, I need two copies don;t I at over £100
for the cheapest version. And why have a restricted license via differnt
versions of W7?

MS licenses are genrally far more retrictive, any mac app I buy I can
install on all my home machines at no extra cost, now could you do that
at home with MS Word, legally of course.

The MAC EULA seems to restrict one to apple hardware.

Please don't preach to me about MS restrictions - I don't use it.
Old October 12th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:09:40 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

[...]

Obviously, until test cases are run through the system no one knows
exactly what is permitted and what is not. Here is one reference who
seems to disagree with you:

http://lowendmac.com/ed/fox/09ff/hac...-legality.html

[...]

Have your own way, but the MAC EULA limits your contractual use to
macintosh hardware.