Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

Old October 9th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default Seeking recommendation for Laptop (Windows) suitable for photography

On 10/8/2012 7:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
important to you.)

it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

Perhaps, but not to me.

--
Peter
Old October 9th 12, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Gordon Freeman
wrote:

My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
important to you.)

it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.

i agree, but it's what sells. apple used to make both glossy and matte,
then they offered matte as an option and now it's glossy only. many
competitors are glossy.

there are definitely those who want matte, but not as many as who buy
glossy (or they don't care what they get). glossy has more zing to it,
but the glare can be a problem. as i said, the retina macbook is not as
glossy as some other glossy displays, but it's definitely not matte.

Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels?

the retina display *is* an ips panel, the same as a desktop ips display.

Netbook screens
have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
close.

that's one way they get the price so low, by using crappy displays.
some are really quite bad.
Old October 9th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-10-08 20:46:50 +0000, ray said:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:18:34 -0600, Wally wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Wally
wrote:

Am retiring the old ThinkPad and looking for a replacement.

The new PC laptop should be fast enough to run Lightroom v4. And the
display should be suitable for photography -- wide screen NOT
preferred but may be OK as long as it has approx 1050 pixels or more
vertically. (The old display was 1400x1050).

It would be nice if the new computer was not too heavy, not too
expensive, decent battery life, big HD, etc... but the most important
requirements seems to me are speed for the software, and the display.

for the best display, it's the macbook pro with retina display. the
pixel density is higher than what your eye can resolve, so you won't be
able to see any jaggies, at all.

for less money, there's the normal macbook pro, and for less weight, the
macbook air.

lightroom will run extremely well on any of them.

battery life can be as much as 10 hours on a single charge, depending on
which model and what you do. hard drive is however big you want. you can
always swap in a larger drive later.

i'd also wait a week or so, as there are rumours of some new models
coming soon.

That's the second recommendation for the Retina.

I thought you had to have religion to buy a Mac.

But I have to admit the display looks amazing. It's expensive but not
totally out of reach.

Browsing a bit on the web reveals there are Retina issues with software
support and some other things. Will keep an eye on this...

Wally

A knowledgeable tech should be able to install MS on it for you if that's
what you really want.

You don't need a knowledgeable tech or any tech at all. All Macs can
run Windows. Just buy the Windows of your choice and follow the
instructions to use Bootcamp. That requires you reboot the computer
whenever you change from Mac OS to Windows. If you want less hassle,
buy Parallels or similar. It's not a "simulation" the way older Macs
ran Windows. Macs use the same Intel processors that Windows boxes use,
and run it natively. You just have to pay extra for it and install it
according to instructions. I use Windows XP on my iMac when I have to
link to my office, whose software is proprietary and runs only on
Windows, so I have about a 10 gig partition for that, set it up under
Bootcamp, and just restart in Windows whenever I need to use it.

--
Michael

Old October 9th 12, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

A knowledgeable tech should be able to install MS on it for you if that's
what you really want.

knowledgeable tech? seriously? you must be kidding.

anyone can install windows on a mac (or a windows pc for that matter).
all that's needed is double-click boot camp assistant for dual booting
or get vmware/parallels for virtualization. you can even do both.
Old October 9th 12, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-08 22:00:30 -0700, nospam said:

In article , ray
wrote:

A knowledgeable tech should be able to install MS on it for you if that's
what you really want.

knowledgeable tech? seriously? you must be kidding.

anyone can install windows on a mac (or a windows pc for that matter).
all that's needed is double-click boot camp assistant for dual booting
or get vmware/parallels for virtualization. you can even do both.

Yup!
I have VMware Fusion installed along with XP SP3. Office 2003 Pro runs
flawlessly, and I find it functions absolutely transparently. The
advantage of using VMWare Fusion over BootCamp, is being able to have
both OSs running at the same time and being able to drag and drop files
between both OSs. Using Open Spaces I can easily move between an OSX
and an XP environment.

However once you gave me the clue to running to running Mac Office X on
an Intel Mac, I have had little reason to boot XP lately.

Savageduck

Old October 9th 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/8/2012 10:58 PM, Gordon Freeman wrote:
nospam wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

My main objection to that display is the glassy finish. While your
images will look good, you want to consider glare and lowered ability to
see tonal differences n the darker portions of your images. (If that is
important to you.)

it's not as glossy as other glossy displays (definitely less than other
macbooks), but unfortunately, glossy is what sells.

I find it hard to believe anyone would consider a glossy screen a selling
point, I assumed it was a technical limitation of some screen types. I have
a netbook with a glossy screen and it is a royal pain, when I want to watch
a video I instead find myself watching my own reflection.

Do retina screen have good viewing angles like IPS panels? Netbook screens
have terrible viewing angles, it's hard to see the whole screen without
part of it being too dark or light. The same is true of an Acer pocket PC I
have which has a Retina-resolution VGA screen (220ppi), its sharpness is
wonderful but it has uneven brightness across the screen if you hold it too
close.

the best way is not to believe the VS. Go look at the screens,so you can
understand what I was talking about earlier.
BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
edits, it works for me.

--
Peter
Old October 9th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:58:13 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
edits, it works for me.

I've got the T61. Haven't tried PS or LR, but it runs Picasa v3.3 so
slow, I had to uninstall it and and go back to v3.0.

Wally
Old October 9th 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

BTW My Think Pad, which is an old model is still decent for PS CS6,
although a tad slow. I can't use it for critical work, but for rough
edits, it works for me.

I've got the T61. Haven't tried PS or LR, but it runs Picasa v3.3 so
slow, I had to uninstall it and and go back to v3.0.

I use mine mainly when I travel. I like to download files from my cards
to a portable HD. And I can also do rough edits. the keyboard, battery
and fan are on the way out. However, while it is not very fast, it
serves my purpose.

--
Peter
Old October 9th 12, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On 2012-10-08 20:46:50 +0000, ray said:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:18:34 -0600, Wally wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:48:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Wally
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, whatever. The point is that you don't have to run the MAC OS on the
MAC computer. Personally, I don't use MAC or MS.
Old October 9th 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

[...]

why buy a mac, if not to run mac os?