Nikon is going to KEEP using that flooded-out building??!!!

Old December 2nd 11, 07:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default Nikon is going to KEEP using that flooded-out building??!!!

"RichA" wrote in message
Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting to
get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to bear.
I am pleased by the news.

David

Old December 2nd 11, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"David J Taylor" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting to
get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to bear.
I am pleased by the news.

.... but glad I wasn't planning to buy one of their camera's anyway :-)
(An extended warranty may be a good option for those who are)

Trevor.

Old December 2nd 11, 08:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

... but glad I wasn't planning to buy one of their camera's anyway :-)
(An extended warranty may be a good option for those who are)

Trevor.

I would not expect Nikon to release any products which don't meet their
set quality standards. They would want neither the warranty repair costs
nor the damage to their reputation. Whether they can achieve their
schedule remains to be seen, of course.

Cheers,
David

Old December 2nd 11, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 2/12/2011 7:37 p.m., David J Taylor wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting
to get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to
bear. I am pleased by the news.

So am I.
Having survived a recent natural disaster (but still dealing with the
ongoing hassles which will probably take 25 years to rectify), I could
only hope that the next event happens under RichA's arse, harms nobody,
but give him something else on which to focus his attention.
My city: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/62466002

Old December 2nd 11, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

"RichA" wrote in message
Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting
to get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to
bear. I am pleased by the news.

So am I.
Having survived a recent natural disaster (but still dealing with the ongoing
hassles which will probably take 25 years to rectify), I could only hope that
the next event happens under RichA's arse, harms nobody, but give him
something else on which to focus his attention.
My city: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/62466002

One of my photos of part of your city:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/59233890.jpg
from the 25th floor of Grand Chancellor.

Old December 2nd 11, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

"RichA" wrote in message

Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting
to get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to
bear. I am pleased by the news.

So am I.
Having survived a recent natural disaster (but still dealing with the
ongoing hassles which will probably take 25 years to rectify), I could
only hope that the next event happens under RichA's arse, harms
nobody, but give him something else on which to focus his attention.
My city: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/62466002

One of my photos of part of your city:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/59233890.jpg
from the 25th floor of Grand Chancellor.

The hotel is being "deconstructed" now.
Overall deconstruction of the CBD is scheduled for completion in April.
Provisional rebuild plan is for a 7 story "high rise" limit on new
buildings - there won't be much left above that height. Wouldn't be
much point building anything higher, as after experiencing 7,000 quakes
over the past 15 months or so, I doubt they'd be commercially viable -
not to tenant to locals anyway. The high rises didn't topple, but are
almost all uneconomical to repair even to pre-quake condition, which
retrospectively seems to have been rather inadequate.
Commission of enquiry for building collapses resulting in death is under
way now. Likely result will be revision of building standards,
particularly buildings built to codes applying until the late '80s.
Codes were much the same here as in Japan and California, so code
revision here will probably have ramifications there.
There was massive underestimation of peak ground acceleration impact on
structures from close/shallow quakes, particularly not allowing for
vertical component of shaking. It was a bugger of a way to find out
that they got it wrong.
Old December 2nd 11, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

Me wrote on 12/2/2011 :
"RichA" wrote in message

[...]

My colleague in Auckland did the tour a couple of weeks ago. I hope
she brings all her photos with her next week when she comes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Lic4MCNek

Old December 2nd 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 12/2/2011 1:37 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting
to get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to
bear. I am pleased by the news.

David

Rich never lets facts get in the way of a prejudicial rant. Based on his
refusal to answer questions about his qualifications, I have concluded
he has few, if any, qualification to express an informed opinion.

--
Peter
Old December 2nd 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

"RichA" wrote in message
Oh my GOD! Cameras built in what was a SEWER not long ago!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...sumesshipments

I'm sure that all those who depend on work in that area will be wanting
to get back to normal just as soon as possible - they have had a lot to
bear. I am pleased by the news.

So am I.
Having survived a recent natural disaster (but still dealing with the ongoing
hassles which will probably take 25 years to rectify), I could only hope that
the next event happens under RichA's arse, harms nobody, but give him
something else on which to focus his attention.
My city: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/62466002

One of my photos of part of your city:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/59233890.jpg
from the 25th floor of Grand Chancellor.

It reminds me of this, also taken from a hotel:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/DSC_0102.JPG

Virtually everything in the foreground is destroyed: gone for
practical purpose.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old December 3rd 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

Whisky-dave wrote on 12/3/2011 :
On Dec 2, 10:53*am, N wrote:

My colleague in Auckland did the tour a couple of weeks ago. *I hope
she brings all her photos with her next week when she comes over.

Brings.. photos how 20th century ;-)

Maybe, but a couple of years ago she brought some photos (in her
camera) for me to see, and the camera was stolen from her hotel room.
She knows how to download the photos to her company laptop, but said
laptop has serious disk space issues at the moment.

The company laptop fleet is old and I'm encouraging IT to wait until
DELL release their ultrabooks next year.

Boy this place is certainly getting flooded ... HEMI-Powered Digital Photography 93 April 11th 08 12:11 PM
Leaving The Building Jim Phelps 35mm Photo Equipment 10 February 10th 05 02:17 PM
Building a 20D kit Ray Creveling Digital Photography 10 September 27th 04 12:02 PM
I flooded AUK ± Digital Photography 1 July 14th 04 12:02 AM
I flooded AUK ± 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 12th 04 12:26 PM