Canon releases its latest behemoth

Old October 18th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default Canon releases its latest behemoth

On 19/10/2011 1:31 a.m., RichA wrote:
To go with all the other monolithic, black DSLR's in its drab line-
up. Another boat-anchor from a dying breed.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...anoneos1dx.asp

Looks great. They clearly cater to the pro market. I suppose they'll
get cr@p from amateurs with consumer grade toys from sony etc, who don't
think it has enough megapixels, yet never noticed that Nikon was selling
plenty of D3s to pros, and the 12mp D3s files looked much better in
every way than 18-24mp APS-c.
Good to see that they've dumped APS-H.
Hopefully, they have nailed low iso read noise.
Old October 19th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 19/10/2011 10:42 a.m., RichA wrote:

200,000 ISO? Talk about optimism!

Yes - great to see!
Sure beats negativity and pessimism, especially when that's based on
zero knowledge.

Old October 19th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Me wrote in :

On 19/10/2011 10:42 a.m., RichA wrote:

200,000 ISO? Talk about optimism!

Yes - great to see!
Sure beats negativity and pessimism, especially when that's based on
zero knowledge.

Well, Nikon's D3s can't really do 100k ISO (really) so Canon at 200,000 is
a stretch. Unless of course they've figured out how to violate physic's
laws.
Old October 19th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Me" wrote:
On 19/10/2011 1:31 a.m., RichA wrote:
To go with all the other monolithic, black DSLR's in its drab line-
up. Another boat-anchor from a dying breed.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...anoneos1dx.asp

Looks great. They clearly cater to the pro market.

Really. The pros are going to be real happy.

I suppose they'll get cr@p from amateurs with consumer grade toys from
sony etc, who don't think it has enough megapixels, yet never noticed that
Nikon was selling plenty of D3s to pros, and the 12mp D3s files looked
much better in every way than 18-24mp APS-c.

Well, we landscape wannabes who actually make prints like lots of MP, and
with good reason. But you don't want more MPs than you can provide lenses
with decent corner-to-corner resolution. I don't think 7D pixel density in
an FF camera would make any sense (45MP or so), but 28MP would be real nice
in a slow burst rate, simple AF system camera.

Hopefully, they have nailed low iso read noise.

If the Digic 5 does that, I'd certainly upgrade to a 28MP Digic 5 "5D3".

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 19th 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:40:22 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:
:
: "Me" wrote:
: On 19/10/2011 1:31 a.m., RichA wrote:
: To go with all the other monolithic, black DSLR's in its drab line-
: up. Another boat-anchor from a dying breed.
:
: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...anoneos1dx.asp
:
: Looks great. They clearly cater to the pro market.
:
: Really. The pros are going to be real happy.

One thing they didn't seem to get around to mentioning is the price. One
suspects that only well-heeled pros will be able to afford it.

: I suppose they'll get cr@p from amateurs with consumer grade toys from
: sony etc, who don't think it has enough megapixels, yet never noticed that
: Nikon was selling plenty of D3s to pros, and the 12mp D3s files looked
: much better in every way than 18-24mp APS-c.
:
: Well, we landscape wannabes who actually make prints like lots of MP, and
: with good reason. But you don't want more MPs than you can provide lenses
: with decent corner-to-corner resolution. I don't think 7D pixel density in
: an FF camera would make any sense (45MP or so), but 28MP would be real nice
: in a slow burst rate, simple AF system camera.
:
: Hopefully, they have nailed low iso read noise.
:
: If the Digic 5 does that, I'd certainly upgrade to a 28MP Digic 5 "5D3".

Will Canon henceforth maintain two FF lines, the 5D series with a larger
number of smaller pixels, and the 1D series with a smaller number of latger
pixels?

Bob
Old October 19th 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Robert Coe" wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:40:22 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:
:
: "Me" wrote:
:
: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...anoneos1dx.asp
:
: Looks great. They clearly cater to the pro market.
:
: Really. The pros are going to be real happy.

One thing they didn't seem to get around to mentioning is the price. One
suspects that only well-heeled pros will be able to afford it.

The numbers I've seen mentioned are US$6300 and US$6900. So it's pricey.
There's apparently a big market for cameras purchased not by individual
photographers, but by (larger) agencies and companies that have a camera
pool.

: Hopefully, they have nailed low iso read noise.
:
: If the Digic 5 does that, I'd certainly upgrade to a 28MP Digic 5 "5D3".

Will Canon henceforth maintain two FF lines, the 5D series with a larger
number of smaller pixels, and the 1D series with a smaller number of
latger
pixels?

That's what it looks like. We won't know until the new 5D3 is announced,
which may not be for another year, since 5Dx announcements tend to lag 1Ds
announcements by a long time.

Lots of people are also expecting a grip-less "3D" with 18MP, a faster burst
rate (e.g. 7 fps vs. 3.5 fps in a 5D3), maybe the 1-series AF module. (The
1D X can do up to 14 fps with two Digic 5 chips, so presumably a "3D" with
one Digic 5 could do 7 fps, but the 5D3, with its extra pixels and only 1
Digic 5 would be even slower.)

I wonder what the mid-range prices will look like. DSLRs are a monster
rip-off in the sense that the old 1-series FILM cameras were cheaper than
even the 7D. So the 5D2 is a US$700 body with US$2000 of sensor +
electronics. Chips always get cheaper over time, so maybe FF sensors will be
coming down in price too.

By the way, 80% of Nikon's dSLR manufacturing capacity is under water in
Thailand with the floods there. Ouch.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 20th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:42:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
: On Oct 18, 3:44*pm, Me wrote:
: On 19/10/2011 1:31 a.m., RichA wrote: To go with all the other monolithic, black DSLR's in its drab line-
: up. *Another boat-anchor from a dying breed.
:
: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...anoneos1dx.asp
:
: Looks great. *They clearly cater to the pro market. *I suppose they'll
: get cr@p from amateurs with consumer grade toys from sony etc, who don't
: think it has enough megapixels, yet never noticed that Nikon was selling
: plenty of D3s to pros, and the 12mp D3s files looked much better in
: every way than 18-24mp APS-c.
: Good to see that they've dumped APS-H.
: Hopefully, they have nailed low iso read noise.
:
: 200,000 ISO? Talk about optimism!

Yeah, but remember that it's a logarithmic scale. So when you get that high, a
one-stop difference can have a seemingly huge effect on the ISO number.

Bob
Old October 20th 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
Yeah, but remember that it's a logarithmic scale. So when you get that
high, a
one-stop difference can have a seemingly huge effect on the ISO number.

1600 was about max for color film, so a 7 stop increase is none too
shabby IMO.
At this rate it's going to make IS/VR redundant pretty soon! :-)

Trevor.

For shutter speed, perhaps, but I still want a stable viewfinder image, so
in-lens VR/IS for me. I would buy image-stabilised binoculars if I could
afford them!

David

Old October 20th 11, 08:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
Will Canon henceforth maintain two FF lines, the 5D series with a larger
number of smaller pixels, and the 1D series with a smaller number of
latger
pixels?

Can't see why not, they have 3 at the moment, since you obviously include
APS-H. I think they will keep all 3 in fact, (simply upgrading APS-H to FF
which is long overdue IMO) since the FF 5D is not aimed at the same high end
market as the 1D and 1DS.

Trevor.