RIP Blinky the Shark

Old February 15th 09, 12:06 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default RIP Blinky the Shark

On 9 Feb 2009 03:36:00 GMT, elaich wrote:
: I hate to tell you guys this, but Lee Rizor, aka Blinky the Shark, who was
: an occasional poster to this group, passed away from complications of the
: flu a week ago. He was much more active in other groups, like
: rec.food.cooking, and 24hoursupport.helpdesk. Yet, he had a presence here,
: and it should be noted.

That's sad to hear. Blinky was a good contributor and a knowledgeable
photographer. We'll miss him.

Bob
Old February 15th 09, 09:06 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Robert Coe
says...
On 9 Feb 2009 03:36:00 GMT, elaich wrote:
: I hate to tell you guys this, but Lee Rizor, aka Blinky the Shark, who was
: an occasional poster to this group, passed away from complications of the
: flu a week ago. He was much more active in other groups, like
: rec.food.cooking, and 24hoursupport.helpdesk. Yet, he had a presence here,
: and it should be noted.

That's sad to hear. Blinky was a good contributor and a knowledgeable
photographer. We'll miss him.

What I find disconcerting is that he apparently died alone at home with
no medical care. Is this how people die in the USA? Didn't he have
anybody from the family (wife, kids etc.) who would take care of him?
And if he was so sick, why wasn't he in a hospital? Maybe he would have
survived if properly taken care of.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 15th 09, 02:20 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 10:06:15 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Robert Coe
says...
On 9 Feb 2009 03:36:00 GMT, elaich wrote:
: I hate to tell you guys this, but Lee Rizor, aka Blinky the Shark, who was
: an occasional poster to this group, passed away from complications of the
: flu a week ago. He was much more active in other groups, like
: rec.food.cooking, and 24hoursupport.helpdesk. Yet, he had a presence here,
: and it should be noted.

That's sad to hear. Blinky was a good contributor and a knowledgeable
photographer. We'll miss him.

What I find disconcerting is that he apparently died alone at home with
no medical care. Is this how people die in the USA? Didn't he have
anybody from the family (wife, kids etc.) who would take care of him?
And if he was so sick, why wasn't he in a hospital? Maybe he would have
survived if properly taken care of.

Why on earth would you extrapolate one person's situation to the
entire country? There are people without immediate family in the area
in any country in the world. There are people in all countries who
suddenly become ill and don't recognize the seriousness of their
illness until it is too late. There are individuals everywhere who
unwisely decide to "tough it out" when illness overtakes them rather
than see a doctor or admit themselves to a hospital.

Yes, that's how some people die in the US...and in any country in the
world.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 15th 09, 08:15 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:

C'mon folks- this is a thread about a dear departed soul. Let's leave
the jingoisms and other stuff for all the other threads......

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 15th 09, 10:33 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:38:09 -0800 (PST), Twibil wrote:
: On Feb 15, 8:00*am, George Kerby wrote:
:
: What I find disconcerting is that he apparently died alone at home with
: no medical care. Is this how people die in the USA? Didn't he have
: anybody from the family (wife, kids etc.) who would take care of him?
: And if he was so sick, why wasn't he in a hospital? Maybe he would have
: survived if properly taken care of.
:
: Are you being an asshole, or are you really that thick?!?
:
: He's apparently German, which means he could well be both. (There's a
: not-uncommon Euro-centric attitude which holds that if there is
: anything wrong with the world -either in the past, the present, or the
: forseeable future- it naturally follows that it must be entirely the
: fault of the United States.)
:
: This attitude, coming as it does from one of those wonderful folks who
: brought you the holocaust, has a certain ironic twist to it...

Whatever you think of Alfred Molon's opinion, that remark is uncalled-for. Of
the people who perpetrated the holocaust and other atrocities of that period,
none are alive today. 21st-century Germany is utterly unlike the Germany of
Adolph Hitler and his gang of thugs, and today's Germans can no more be blamed
for the holocaust than today's Americans can be blamed for the slave trade.
Those of us who frequent this newsgroup all belong to nations with problems to
solve, attitudes that need changing, and actions taken in our lifetimes for
which we might well feel responsible to atone. Berating each other for the
sins of our ancestors accomplishes nothing; at worst it diverts our attention
from the challenges of the present, which are quite daunting enough.

The Internet, whatever else it does, brings together people of diverse
backgrounds in an opportunity for mutual understanding. If Blinky's death
tells us that we need to do a better job of reaching out to the sick and
lonely of our societies, let's try to learn that lesson and move on. Let's not
use it as an excuse to berate each other for events of the past over which we
never had any control.

Bob (who actually remembers World War II - and is heartily glad that he was
too young, and his father too old, to fight in it)
Old February 15th 09, 11:26 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Robert Coe wrote:

[...]

Well said, Robert, even eloquent.
Particularly nice coming from a real person, not summat else.

--
john mcwilliams

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
Old February 16th 09, 12:17 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Jim Keegan

Well Twibel.......gonna disrupt another group like rec.models.railroad?
You'll fit right in, you'll be able to jump into many arguments on this
group. You must be in 7th heaven when you stir ****! Thank you for not being
on any drag racing or Harley groups, I really appreciate it.
Jim

"Twibil" wrote in message
On Feb 15, 2:33 pm, Robert Coe wrote:

Whatever you think of Alfred Molon's opinion, that remark is uncalled-for.

Oh, good, just what we need! A self-appointed net-nanny to decide
what's permissable on Usenet.

Bad news: the pay is lousy and the respect is nil.

Old February 16th 09, 01:50 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Twibil wrote:
On Feb 15, 8:00*am, George Kerby wrote:

What I find disconcerting is that he apparently died alone at home with
no medical care. Is this how people die in the USA? Didn't he have
anybody from the family (wife, kids etc.) who would take care of him?
And if he was so sick, why wasn't he in a hospital? Maybe he would have
survived if properly taken care of.

Are you being an asshole, or are you really that thick?!?

He's apparently German, which means he could well be both.

Gee, a jingoistic bigot with his head up his ass.

But it's not like we get those very often on usenet.

--
Ray Fischer

Old February 16th 09, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"tony cooper" wrote

There are people in all countries who
suddenly become ill and don't recognize the seriousness of their
illness until it is too late. There are individuals everywhere who
unwisely decide to "tough it out" when illness overtakes them rather
than see a doctor or admit themselves to a hospital.

I came damn close myself 3 years ago. I'm on dialysis, so not in good order
generally, but one evening I walked the 1 Km from the hospital to my
apartment, had a bite to eat and then got ready to go to bed. I had what I
thought was indigestion, but it wouldn't go away after 20 minutes, so
following standing orders from the renal staff not to ignore any unusual
problems, rang the ambulance.

10 minutes after arriving in the ER, I arrested and had to be 'zapped'. No
long-term damage (although I was kicked off the transplant list until
recently) but had it happened at home, I'd say it would be at least a week
before the neighbours started complaining about the smell!

Yes, that's how some people die in the US...and in any country in the

world.

All too often.

Paul