Anyone know when the Canon A95 will be replaced?

Old April 22nd 05, 07:36 PM
Craig Tuch

Default Anyone know when the Canon A95 will be replaced?

I was thinking about getting the A95 but I have a feeling they will
probably bring out the new model soon. I saw the S2 just got
announced today to replace the S1. Anyone have any inside info about
when the A95 will get the same treatment? I can wait a few months. I
just don't want to buy it now and then next month see the new one get
announced which I'll either want instead, or will cause the A95 to
drop in price...

Thanks.
Craig..
Old April 23rd 05, 03:48 PM
DHB

On 22 Apr 2005 11:36:38 -0700, (Craig Tuch)
wrote:

I was thinking about getting the A95 but I have a feeling they will
probably bring out the new model soon. I saw the S2 just got
announced today to replace the S1. Anyone have any inside info about
when the A95 will get the same treatment? I can wait a few months. I
just don't want to buy it now and then next month see the new one get
announced which I'll either want instead, or will cause the A95 to
drop in price...

Thanks.
Craig..

Craig,
just grappled with that very problem myself, buy an A95 now or
wait to see what replaces it? My belief is that Canon is converting
their entire P&S line over to SD memory, the new S2 IS would seem to
support this as it uses SD memory. Considering that with this camera
they had more than enough room & battery power to accommodate the
physically larger CF memory but opted for SD anyway, they are very
likely looking to convert the entire P&S line to SD memory.

Actually I own & very much like my A95 but I was considering a
2nd for dedicated use with a lens/filter adapter for use mainly for
macro photography using a reverse mounted 28 & 50mm SLR lens to act as
a powerful macro lens. Did this with my A70 (3.2MP) & was very
impressed with the results, all things considered.

My solution, I just ordered a 2nd A95 about 2 days ago from
B&H but I will not get it till after their holiday ends on 05/01/05.
My biggest worry was that the A95's might sell out & then I might
loose CF flash compatibility with my other cameras, including a DSLR.
Since I have a considerable investment in CF cards, I'm not
interesting in switching over to SD memory any time soon.

If CF comparability & time are not big issues to you, maybe
wait & see what comes out next? My suspicion is that the successor to
the A95 might either a SD530/540 or an SD??

Just my opinion, hope it's helpful.

Respectfully, DHB

..

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 26th 05, 04:25 PM
Dib

Actually I heard the same thing, that they are converting to SD. I
also have some CF cards and would like to keep those. I guess I'm
really waiting to see if the successor gets launched because it will
lower the price of the A95 almost immediately (I presume). So that's
when I'd buy it. Unless, of course, the next model has some features
that convince me to go that route...

Thanks,
Craig..

Old May 3rd 05, 06:52 AM
Daniel

Canon must be getting close to replacing the A95 - Just bought one for $254
on the Beach camera site www.beachcamera.com - they just lowered the price
over the weekend. I have a friend that bought the A95 from Beach Camera a
few months ago and he is really pleased with the A95 and Beach camera. And
yes. I would imagine Canon is getting very close to putting out the
replacement for the A95 with the SD card and will probably use 2 AA
batteries.

Dan

om...