Auto focus speed

Old April 7th 05, 06:24 AM
Mike & Steph

Default Auto focus speed

Hi,

I've got a Canon Powershot A40, that I've had for a little over a year, and
it takes pretty good pictures, but it's got one really annoying quality...
the time that elapses between pushing on the button to shoot the picture and
the camera actually taking the picture. With dogs and kids, it's a real
pain when they're cute for a second, and I try to click off a quick shot,
and the camera finally snaps it like three seconds later. I suppose this
has to do with the auto focus mechanism, because I purchased a high-speed CF
card and it didn't make any difference.

So now I'm looking for recommendations for a mid-range priced (under $500)
digital camera that has a fast auto focus, or at least takes pictures within
a few milliseconds of pushing the button. Does such a beast exist, or am I
going to have to reach deeper into my pockets?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

Old April 7th 05, 07:37 AM
David J Taylor

Mike & Steph wrote:
Hi,

I've got a Canon Powershot A40, that I've had for a little over a
year, and it takes pretty good pictures, but it's got one really
annoying quality... the time that elapses between pushing on the
button to shoot the picture and the camera actually taking the
picture.

You can try manual focus or holding the shutter release half-way to
pre-focus the camera and reduce the delay. The Nikon 8400 has a twin
auto-focus system to reduce delays which works very well, and being
wide-angle it's especially handy indoors. Probably outside your
price-range, though.

David

Old April 7th 05, 08:34 AM
David Arnstein

Mike & Steph wrote:
So now I'm looking for recommendations for a mid-range priced (under $500)
digital camera that has a fast auto focus, or at least takes pictures within
a few milliseconds of pushing the button. Does such a beast exist, or am I
going to have to reach deeper into my pockets?

I just picked up a Sony Cybershot DSC-P200. It is a 7.2 megapixel
camera that features very fast auto focus. I chose it for this
reason. I like it a lot. It occasionally gives me a blurred picture,
but then so does my Canon SD10.

One thing I like about the Sony is that it remembers _all_ of my
settings. In particular, if I program it to use spot metering, it
does so indefinitely. The Canon loses this setting each time I power
it off.

My biggest complaint regarding the Sony is that it uses Memory Stick
media. It is expensive. Plus, I can't use my SD cards, of which I
have much stock.

If you find a faster camera than the Sony, please post.
--
David Arnstein

Old April 11th 05, 10:29 PM
Anne Geeraets

Many digital camera's have this problem and last year they've solved this
more and more, first I thought Minolta.
Best you can look on the websites to compare.

"Mike & Steph" schreef in bericht

Old April 11th 05, 10:33 PM
Anne Geeraets

Ps. Sometimes it helps when you use the fast shutterspeed from "sports" to
take the picture (eventually combined with flash).