US price v Uk price

Old November 21st 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald

Default US price v Uk price

TheFrigginQueenOfEngland wrote:

Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned if I
can think of anything at the moment.

Stilton blue. But I have come to prefer Valdeon Blue from Spain. Granados
over Elgar? Well, yes, but not for the same reason.

Doug McDonald
Old November 21st 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RichGK

On 20 Nov, 23:26, "/\\BratMan/\\" wrote:
I see this: Nikon today updated its 18-55mm 'kit' lens to include Vibration
Reduction (VR). around US $199 (179.99 / ?270.00) onhttp://www.dpreview.com/

And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD =
96.2931 GBP

Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK.

Add VAT on to that figure as that is added after in the US.

Then your have import costs to add. Probalby higher costs with
transportation etc etc. It's probably not far off.
Old November 21st 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
Doug McDonald wrote:

Remember that in the USA most mail-order sales are tax-free.
(You'd be stupid to buy from a mail-order dealer in your own state,
if you could avoid it.)

Doug McDonald

No, they're not tax-free, the retailer just doesn't collect the tax for
other states unless they have a physical presence. You still have to pay
the tax, but you're required to send it in yourself, usually when you
file your state income tax (if any).

Not in many states ... the courts have declared the law an unenforceable
restraint of interstate commerce. These are state court decisions.

Doug McDonald

Old November 21st 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
notbresson

"TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:53:28 GMT, "notbresson"

wrote:

"Lew" wrote in message

"Marty Fremen" wrote in message
"/\\BratMan/\\" wrote:

I see this: Nikon today updated its 18-55mm 'kit' lens to include
Vibration Reduction (VR). around US $199 (179.99 / ?270.00) on
http://www.dpreview.com/

And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD
= 96.2931 GBP

Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK.

It's because Britain is essentially a theme park for foreign tourists,
and residents get charged the same theme park prices as the visitors.
It's not just cameras that are more expensive, almost everything is.

One solution is to buy grey imports from Hong Kong via dodgy ebay
dealers or cut-price online shops, and hope you won't need to claim on
the warranty.

Why not buy from the USA?

Duty at 6.75% + VAT at 17.5% + post and packing say 25 + handling charge
by PO or couriers and you would need to claim back local sales tax. and
the
exchange rate on your credit card will not be that good. I have just done
the sums for a Zeiss lens costing 549 at Warehouse Express compared tp
$700 at B&H in New York. Ends up hardly worth the trouble and possible
problems with claiming on warrenty.

Its just rip off UK again.

Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned
if I
can think of anything at the moment. Well, there was the Beatles, but even
they
wanted the hell out of there. Okay, they gave a good push to the English
language, but now the rest of the world is having to deal with and attempt
correct all of the problems with it. Maybe this is why they think
colonization
is such a wonderful thing, nobody wants them anywhere so they just move in
uninvited and call it something good for everyone. There's three whole
continents now full of people, who are the ancestors of everyone that
wanted
nothing better than to get the hell away from the UK and all it stands
for. Oh
wait. Don't they make some beers that some people like? Well, at least
that's
something.

Other than that, nope, can't think of a thing that ever came out of the UK
that
everyone wanted to buy. Did any of them ever invent anything? How about if
you
start to produce something from your own companies then charge a mint for
them.
Then you can get even.

Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I
bet that
all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world adores
your
pompous asses. Think again.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and digital
cameras....

What's all that about?
Seems an inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant about nothing in
particular.
Cheers
Jeff

Old November 21st 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
notbresson

"/\\BratMan/\\" wrote:

[...]

.

BODDINGTON'S BITTER

Old November 21st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Savage

On 2007-11-21, notbresson wrote:

"TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" wrote in message

Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I
bet that
all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world adores
your
pompous asses. Think again.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and digital
cameras....

What's all that about?
Seems an inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant about nothing in
particular.

Do you think it might be a troll?

Thanks for reposting the entire inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant
for those of us whose killfiles are working and didn't see it the first
time.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?
Old November 21st 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
notbresson

On 2007-11-21, notbresson wrote:

[...]

I fell for it. Will not do it again.

Old November 22nd 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bates[_2_]

"/\\BratMan/\\" wrote:

[...]

language, but now the rest of the world is having to deal with and attempt to
[...]

Okay, I'm really hoping this was entirely sarcastic but just in case,
here is a small list:

Many beers, Many single malts, Many cars, Many high end HiFi
components (speakers, amplifiers, CD/DVD players), Many movies, Many
books.....

Oh and no - I'm not from the UK, but they have many products I
covet.....
Old November 23rd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"TheFrigginQueenOfEngland" wrote

Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned
if I
can think of anything at the moment.

HP sauce! Other than that, the only good thing to come out of the UK these
days is Qantas flight QF5 to Sydney...

Paul (who left there in 1973)