Backpacks

Old May 2nd 05, 09:31 PM
Frank

Default Backpacks

I am looking for a backpack with wheels that will carry medium format or
35 equipment. I looked at the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW without wheels.
I am 6', 250. The backpack has a sternum strap that is not low enough
and tends to choke me. It feels pretty good otherwise. It seems they
are made for a person 5'6.

Any of you tall photographers have any suggestions? I don't want
something that is too heavy or large. I want to take it on a plane.

Thanks!

Frank
Old May 2nd 05, 09:41 PM
Richard Parker

#include

Any of you tall photographers have any suggestions? I don't want
something that is too heavy or large. I want to take it on a plane.

I'm 6' and use a Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic to carry a Pentax 67II,
Canon 35MM SLR and lots of other kit - the sternum strap slides down
the front of the shoulder straps and works fine for me.

All the straps seal within the body of the pack, so it shouldn't be
too much trouble to use as hold luggage, but might be a bit large for
hand luggage.

Rich
--
Richard Parker

You're much more likely to be attacked by lightning or by your own toilet than you are by a shark
- Peter Benchley
Old May 2nd 05, 09:56 PM
Lorem Ipsum

"Frank" wrote in message
I am looking for a backpack with wheels that will carry medium format or 35
equipment. I looked at the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW without wheels. I am
6', 250.

What would you think of a system that uses a lightweight aluminum frame,
medium or large backpack (you choose the pack) and extendable, 12"
pneumatic-tired carbon fiber wheels that negotiates rough terrain well - or
not if you choose to retract them. 18" wheels are available, but they do not
fold up. It weighs almost nothing empty. Is this something that might
interest you?

Old May 2nd 05, 11:47 PM
Bill Hilton

I am looking for a backpack with wheels that will carry medium format
or
35 equipment ... Any of you tall photographers have any suggestions?

I'm 6-2" and use a LowePro Photo Trekker AW, which fits quite well and
is carry-on legal on all but the 21 passenger type planes, but doesn't
have wheels. There are at least two larger LowePro bags (Pro and one
Super Trekker, I think) but they aren't technically carry-on legal and
sometimes you get caught at the gate. The Photo Trekker holds two 645
bodies and seven MF lenses (including a 300 f/4) plus spot meter, film
inserts etc. Couple of optional side bags can hold four smaller lenses
or water. If shooting 35 mm I can put a 500 f/4 in the center and have
room for two bodies and several lenses on the sides, so it's roomy.
I've hiked many miles with it and once rode a mountain bike 56 miles on
a gravel road in Denali with it on my back so it's comfortable enough.
There's a tripod cup and straps on the back so you can carry the pod
easily in the field.

If you gotta have wheels then several of the people I occasionally
travel with have gone with the LowePro Roadrunner AW, which does have
workable wheels. It looks too big for overhead bins to me but they
always get it to fit ... http://www.vividlight.com/articles/515.htm for
a description.

Bill