Epson 2450 vs Epson 4180 and 4990 Scanners ?

Old March 23rd 05, 04:00 AM
MATT WILLIAMS

Default Epson 2450 vs Epson 4180 and 4990 Scanners ?

I have had an Epson 2450 for the last four years. I have been fairly happy
with it. I scan my 6x6 slides and have some of the best blown up to 12X18
inches. If I have a great shot I would have a pro lab do a larger
enlargement. Would the Epson 4180 be that much better than my 2450 ? Would I
notice a great improvement ? The Epson 4990 is the top of the line, but at
$450 dollars is a little out of my budget. I know it has digital ice, but I
have a Polaroid scratch and dust software remover that does well for my
needs. Thanks for any feedback. Matt

Old March 23rd 05, 03:38 PM
-

Yes, there is a significant difference in resolution. Just yesterday, a
person emailed me a comparison scan he made on his 2450 and new 4990. The
difference in optical performance between these flatbeds was more
significant than I previously realised (I only had a 3200 to use in my own
comparison with a 4870 and the difference is not so dramatic). Since the
4990 and 4870 are basically the same in terms of resolution, you might want
to look for a clearance deal on a 4870.

Doug
--
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:

Old March 23rd 05, 05:28 PM
Gregory Blank

In article t,
" -" wrote:

Yes, there is a significant difference in resolution. Just yesterday, a
person emailed me a comparison scan he made on his 2450 and new 4990. The
difference in optical performance between these flatbeds was more
significant than I previously realised (I only had a 3200 to use in my own
comparison with a 4870 and the difference is not so dramatic). Since the
4990 and 4870 are basically the same in terms of resolution, you might want
to look for a clearance deal on a 4870.

Doug

Except that it will be nice to be able to scan 8x10 Transparencies.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old March 23rd 05, 06:04 PM
Borghesia

MATT WILLIAMS wrote:

I have had an Epson 2450 for the last four years. I have been fairly happy
with it. I scan my 6x6 slides and have some of the best blown up to 12X18
inches. If I have a great shot I would have a pro lab do a larger
enlargement. Would the Epson 4180 be that much better than my 2450 ? Would I
notice a great improvement ? The Epson 4990 is the top of the line, but at
$450 dollars is a little out of my budget. I know it has digital ice, but I
have a Polaroid scratch and dust software remover that does well for my
needs. Thanks for any feedback. Matt

Interesting question, I also have an Epson 2450 and so far I liked the
results. At the moment I am contemplating on an expensive Konica Minolta
Scan Multi Pro. But an Epson 4990 would save alot of money if the
results of it are aproaching the multi pro.
Does anyone know how the multi Pro compares with the Epson 4990 ?

BTW : sorry that I took a sidestep to the multi pro. But I am also very
interested in the quality of the Epson 4990 scans vs. the Epson 2450 .

Old March 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
Gregory Blank

Borghesia wrote:

Interesting question, I also have an Epson 2450 and so far I liked the
results. At the moment I am contemplating on an expensive Konica Minolta
Scan Multi Pro. But an Epson 4990 would save alot of money if the
results of it are aproaching the multi pro.
Does anyone know how the multi Pro compares with the Epson 4990 ?

BTW : sorry that I took a sidestep to the multi pro. But I am also very
interested in the quality of the Epson 4990 scans vs. the Epson 2450 .

My question is: (Now that we know the "res" is a great improvement)
how about the dynamic range is it a lot better?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old March 23rd 05, 06:21 PM
rafeb

Borghesia wrote:

MATT WILLIAMS wrote:

[...]

Have a look at these scans:

Image overview:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~trubshaw/assets/images/Lincoln.jpg

Howtek (drum) unsharpened scan:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~trubshaw/assets/images/Howtek.jpg

And this is the Epson after using FocalBlade to sharpen.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~trubshaw/assets/images/Epson_Sharpened.jpg

I'v been badmouthing the Epson flatbed scanners
for some time. I may be changing my tune.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 23rd 05, 07:39 PM
-

Does anyone know how the multi Pro compares with the Epson 4990 ?

If you have the money for a dedicated medium format film scanner like the
Multi Pro or 9000, go for it over the flatbeds. With that said, flatbeds
offer good performance for the price. Good scanning and Photoshop skills
(all scans still will need some unsharp masking) will allow you to produce
very nice results.

My question is: (Now that we know the "res" is a great improvement)
how about the dynamic range is it a lot better?

If you are still talking about a 2450 compared to a 4870 or 4990, yes there
has been a good increase in real-world dmax. A 4990 still isn't going to be
as good as a Nikon 9000 in pulling out detail from very dense film but it
will do a good job with well exposed film (and cost about 1/4 the price).

Doug

Old March 24th 05, 02:28 AM
MATT WILLIAMS

The 4990 seems quite a bit better than my 2450, but how much better is the
4990 than the 4180 ? I just had to pay $400 dollars to the vet so my " mad"
money is diminished. Thanks for all feedback. Matt
ink.net...