Zion Fall colors

Old October 28th 03, 01:15 PM
Vittel

Default Zion Fall colors

Hi,

Do you have any informations about the peak of the fall colors in Zion Nat'l
Park inside the canyon ?

Thanks for your help...

Chris

Old October 30th 03, 04:39 PM
John Emmons

There are campsites available in the park as well as in and around
Springdale. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one this time of year.
It's ironic but the park is most beautiful this time of year yet the crowds
all come in the summer.

Pay particular attention to the scenes found on the valley floor, much more
interesting than chasing shadows across the rock faces in my opinion.

I'll be there for a few days helping at a workshop next week. If I can get
there thru the smoke of all of the fires burning here in So.Cal.

John Emmons

"JoeT" wrote in message
Any advice on staying in the area. I have a Westfalia.

Joe

"Claude Dibugnara" wrote in message
in article , Charles P Farmer

at

Vittel wrote:

Hi,

Do you have any informations about the peak of the fall colors in

Zion
Nat'l
Park inside the canyon ?

Thanks for your help...

Chris

Chris,

Ditto. I was there last year in the first week of Nov. My guess is that

the
color would have been good to at least mid-Nov. A recent post stated

that
the Zion National Park service predicted this year's peak at end

October.
recommend going after Nov. 1 so you're able to use your car within the

park,
otherwise you're restricted to the tram. I'll be there this Sunday thru
Thursday.

Claude

Old October 30th 03, 04:51 PM
Sam Smith

it's called school...

Old October 31st 03, 12:41 AM
JRF

My wife and I were in Zion this morning (10/30/03). Tree color in the main
canyon is very good and should be good next weekend, too. Tree color in the
higher elevations above the tunnel is mostly past its prime, with some
exceptions.

HOWEVER ...

IMPORTANT: the National Park Service set some "control" fires on the north
rim side of the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park last week. It hasn't been an
artistic success. The fires have gotten out of control, making it a
struggle to keep the fires from crossing into adjacent Forest Service land.
The smoke from these fires first trailed southwest, causing no interference
with canyon views last Saturday. Eventually the smoke settled into the
canyon making viewing awful Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday the wind shifted
to a strong southerly flow, resulting in visibility changing from
spectacularly good to horrible in about one hours' time around mid-day in
Bryce Canyon, UT. The smoke from the California fires has been getting all
the press, and is now invading this part of the country as the wind has
changed to southwesterly. The smoke in Zion made taking pictures of
anything more than 1/2 mile distant a waste of time. The magnitude of the
smoky effect depends on the time of day and the direction you are shooting
relative to the sun, of course. Given the size of the California fires, the
time it will take to control them, the smoldering that should go on after
that, visibility in the southwest is going to be poor for a while, perhaps a
month if no weather system can overwhelm the fires.

Sorry to bear such bad news, but folks ought to know. We live in Las Vegas
and can (and will) go back. But I really feel for the people we met from
England, Norway, Ukraine, who never expect to get back.

Bob in Las Vegas

Old October 31st 03, 04:40 PM
JoeT

Thanks for the great tip Bob ... saved me a drive from Mill Valley, CA. You
would think the photographers amongst the forestry group would have elected
to wait until after the fall colors to start the control fires! As usual
mother nature bats last ...

Joe