ACDSee6 versus MS Digital Image Laboratory

Old September 8th 04, 07:34 PM
John

Default ACDSee6 versus MS Digital Image Laboratory

I bought ACDSee 6 PowerPack last September.

It took them until March to produce an
update that addressed my initial complaints.

Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.

Some features I now use regularly:

- Adding captions and notes to the database, to produce contact sheets,
album pages, and slide shows more quickly.

- Assigning categories to images is a great help when putting together a
show or creating a CD when the images are scattered among several different
folders.

- Creating a CD without having to use a separated CD burner package is very
helpful.

- Configuring the edit menu to readily link to any of several editors that I
use and to easily choose my default editor.

- Really fast access to stored images.

I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
ACDSee competitor. Comments?

Old September 9th 04, 03:17 AM
James Addison

John wrote:
[...]

I guess I am not allowed to say anything here, since I'm an ACD Systems
employee... The next version ACDSee (version 7.0) is looking nice -
that's all I'll say, for now. Release == soon.

--
James Addison
http://www.pjsoft.ca

Old September 9th 04, 05:54 AM
Mark M

"James Addison" wrote in message
John wrote:

I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
ACDSee competitor. Comments?

I guess I am not allowed to say anything here, since I'm an ACD Systems
employee... The next version ACDSee (version 7.0) is looking nice -
that's all I'll say, for now. Release == soon.

Ah!
Then will you tell your comrades at ACDSystems, for me--as a long-time user
of ACDSee (as in...from the very first shareware version) to PLEASE
PLEEEEEEEEESE...
H-O-L-D
O-F-F
O-N
Y-O-U-R
R-E-L-E-A-S-E
D-A-T-E
U-N-T-I-L
I-T
I-S
T-R-U-L-Y....................And I mean...........T---R---U---L---Y...
R-E-A-D-Y !-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!

Please. -For ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you.

Old September 9th 04, 06:03 AM
Mark M

John wrote:

[...]

Ok.
Tantrums aside...
How about including the following few, easy changes:
-Create a keyboard easy input for the photo rating system (1,2,3,4, 5) using
simply the number pad.
-Live refresh of file tree when changes are made to folders/sub-folders via
other programs.
-Stop wasting so much effort on the image editor which is little used, and
focus on speed and filing.
-Do away with FotoSlate's annoying requirement that you enter the custom
template mode in order to re-size images on a layout page.
-And... Allow real text editing on the page, rather than only through
"properties" of a text box.
-And... NUMBER ONE WISH
Build in a facility where screen display of images in ACDSee can be made to
mimic Photoshop's presentation (as in a matching of the work-space
rendition). As it stands now, Photoshop and ACDSee's displays of images
on-screen NEVER match. This is a REAL problem when it comes to selecting
which images need correction while browsing in ACDSee.

Old September 10th 04, 04:08 AM
James Addison

Mark M wrote:

[...]

Oh my. Yes, I can say that 7.0 is looking faster and more stable
than many previous versions. Given that it's coded by humans, bugs will
always exist. That said, we are quite comfortable with the release this
time around. Enough said on that.

[...]

You raise some very interesting points here, some of which have been
addressed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with ACDSee 7, to be
honest. I am uncertain as to whether FotoSlate has had many updates as
I was on the ACDSee 7 task force.

I would invite you to participate in the ACD forums located at
http://forums.acdsystems.com/ to express your concerns. If you have
ideas for our products, you can always email with
your thoughts.

Thanks,

--
James Addison