Canon 3D @ PMA 2009?

Old December 7th 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen Smithee

Default Canon 3D @ PMA 2009?

There have recently been Canon advertisements in a couple of magazines with
the text "a new Canon Experience" and "Coming Soon" with the EOS
professional symbol. Obviously, the first thing that comes to mind is
possible 1D/1Ds III replacements. But, thinking about it more, I am
wondering whether we'll see a 3D released @ PMA?

Nikon have two compact bodies with high-end autofocus, whereas with Canon
the only way to get a body with a high-end AF system is to go for a 1
series. This is fine if you're a pro, but sucks if you are an amateur who
doesn't want a big body like a 1 series.

So, with a D700X rumored to be released in the future to compete with the
5D II, to me it would make sense for Canon to release a 3D to compete with
the D700. At a guess, the 3D would be a cross between a 5D II and a 1D III
with less MP's than the 5D II, but with high-end AF, faster frame rate and
weather sealed (bit like a modern equivalent of the 35mm EOS 3 film body).
As quite often new technology goes into second tier camera's first, maybe it
will include something new as well. Who knows, maybe it will have eye
controlled AF (De Ja Vu). ;-)

1DS - D3X
1D III - D3
5D II - D700X?
3D? - D700
50D - D300

When you think about it, it makes sense and gets me thinking more along the
lines of 'when' rather than 'if'. In fact, when you look back at SLR's
10-15 years ago, except the digital part, not a lot's changed really. Back
in '95 the EOS 1N RS was shooting 10fps. In '98 the EOS 3 had 45-point AF
and was shooting 7fps.