Canon USB connector: unique?

Old December 8th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default Canon USB connector: unique?

Charles Packer wrote:
So I got my newly purchased used Canon 20D home and
discovered that my Olympus USB cable doesn't fit its
connector. On Pricegrabbers.com...

http://tinyurl.com/5kfobc

I find that the cable will cost me $15, a little less
than 5% of what I paid for the camera...Is its USB
receptacle unique to Canon? If not, there might be a
cheaper alternative if I knew how to look for it.

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

I believe that Olympus uses a USB Mini B 4-pin Male.

The 20D uses a USB Mini B 5 pin Male, which is extremely common. I use
whatever I have around, whether it's from the GPS, cell phone, whatever.

The place to buy USB cables is monoprice.com.

"http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_i d=3896&seq=1&format=2"
Old December 8th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

SMS wrote:
Charles Packer wrote:
[...]

Both my canon p&s cameras use the same cable as my little mp3 player and
my TomTom GPS. Sounds like the Olympus is the less common connection.
Dave Cohen
Old December 8th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Dave Cohen wrote:
SMS wrote:
Charles Packer wrote:

I believe that Olympus uses a USB Mini B 4-pin Male.

The 20D uses a USB Mini B 5 pin Male, which is extremely common. I use
whatever I have around, whether it's from the GPS, cell phone, whatever.

The place to buy USB cables is monoprice.com.

"http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_i d=3896&seq=1&format=2"

Both my canon p&s cameras use the same cable as my little mp3 player and
my TomTom GPS. Sounds like the Olympus is the less common connection.

Very much so. Be sure to pick up a card reader when you get the cable!

--
john mcwilliams

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old December 8th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Dave Cohen wrote:
SMS wrote:
Charles Packer wrote:
[...]

I have a collection of mini USBs and all are 5 pin. I have to assume
that the 4 pins are uncommon, though both types are available at my
local Fry's. However, I can recall attaching my present Canon directly
to the computer only once, mainly to see if it worked. Much easier (to
say nothing of saving a little bit of camera battery life) to use a card
reader or one of the slots on my computer.
Allen