Latest Windows 10 scam

Old April 14th 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Latest Windows 10 scam

On 4/13/2019 5:47 PM, RichA wrote:
Your computer goes into sleep mode. When awoken, you are presented with the sign-in page complete with some new image. Signing in triggers a Bing-Edge search page to open and if you aren't careful, you click whatever it is they are trying to flog/advertise!

I agree with Duck... there are some people that would be much better
served by a Mac. Considering the wide range of unique "problems" that
you are having with Windows, a switch might be worth considering.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 14th 19, 05:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/04/2019 01:54, Neil wrote:
I agree with Duck... there are some people that would be much better
served by a Mac. Considering the wide range of unique "problems" that
you are having with Windows, a switch might be worth considering.

Choose the programs you want to run first, then the most appropriate OS
to run that software. Richard seems to encounter problems which I, at
least, have never encountered (or even heard of).

I run Windows-10, Linux, Android and iOS, and I'm happy with all four.
None of them are perfect.

--
Cheers,
David
Old April 14th 19, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/13/2019 10:14 PM, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 13 April 2019 20:54:08 UTC-4, Neil wrote:
On 4/13/2019 5:47 PM, RichA wrote:
Your computer goes into sleep mode. When awoken, you are presented with the sign-in page complete with some new image. Signing in triggers a Bing-Edge search page to open and if you aren't careful, you click whatever it is they are trying to flog/advertise!

I agree with Duck... there are some people that would be much better
served by a Mac. Considering the wide range of unique "problems" that
you are having with Windows, a switch might be worth considering.

--
best regards,

Neil

It's very interesting how Windows does it. You click to sign-on in the centre of the screen, more or less. But if you click "dead-centre" instead of just off-centre, that triggers the Bing screen and ad. I knew it wouldn't be long before Windows became like Android on tablets, which will serve up ads whenever any application (that is free) is used. Though Windows is hardly free.

I've never seen such a thing, and tried to do what you are saying just
to confirm that it isn't happening as a "Windows" event. I haven't seen
most of the issues you have presented as "Windows problems", and
considering that several others in this ng have also not seen them,
perhaps it's time for you to reconsider their actual source.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 14th 19, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/14/2019 1:53 PM, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 14 April 2019 06:13:37 UTC-4, Neil wrote:
[...]

I can't see it being anything other than Windows-originated since it benefits no one else. "Edge" being up and running all the time, "Bing" (a source most people never use). It could just be Microsoft looking for more revenue. After all, how many people are running windows on their most-used devices these days?

I think you missed my point: if these things are only happening to you,
they aren't "Windows problems" at all. Only those things that are
experienced by most Windows users may (or may not) be associated with
the Windows OS in some way.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 14th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 2019, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Is there a strong, rational reason, beyond the argument that some
photographers use the Win platform, for this debate to be found here in
r.p.d.?

Savageduck

Old April 14th 19, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/14/2019 5:34 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 14, 2019, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Why is that not a sufficient reason for the discussion to be here? If
there are problems with an OS, would that not be relevant to its users?

I don't see many complaints from you about discussions involving Macs or
IPads.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 14th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 2019, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

True. However, it was not a photography issue with his OS which compelled
Rich to raise his issue, but more of his incessant complaining which has not
been on topic for r.p.d. too often.

I don't see many complaints from you about discussions involving Macs or
IPads.

To the best of my recollection discussions involving Macs, or iPads revolved
around photography software, or displays all of which are on topic for any NG
discussing digital photography, including here in r.p.d.. So no reason for
me, or anybody to complain.

Just to prove my point Pixelmator has just released Pixelmator Photo for the
iPad. Not one word of complaint regarding any OS, or any particular
non-photography issue.

https://www.pixelmator.com/photo/

https://petapixel.com/2019/04/11/pix...top-class-raw-
photo-editor-for-the-ipad/

Savageduck

Old April 15th 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Apr 14, 2019, Neil wrote
(in article ):

[...]

https://petapixel.com/2019/04/11/pixelmator-photo-is-a-desktop-class-raw-photo-editor-for-the-ipad/

....so at $4.99 I decided to buy and play with "Pixelmator Photo for iPad",
even though I have been using LR CC for iPad, and Affinity Photo for iPad, it
doesn’t do a bad job, and I believe that many folks will find it useful.
There is my perfectly on topic review for an iPad digital photography app.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zZsxbHD/0/24055059/O/i-zZsxbHD.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ccP5nDb/0/decf0f5b/O/i-ccP5nDb.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 15th 19, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/14/2019 7:23 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

My reason for participating in Rich's topic is to give voice to those
who realize that these are not OS problems at all, but unique to his
computer. So, those who do photography and use Windows OS need not be
concerned about such non-existent "scam" issues.

Any discussion of Pixelmator, iPads, etc. are OT for this topic. So, one
take-away is that you would go to the extent of hijacking a topic to
avoid contributing to it. Why not just ignore it?

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 15th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 4/14/2019 8:04 PM, Neil wrote:
[...]

I might agree if the original Subject: were labeled "OT" but it was not,
thus
(as the Duck suggests) it is OT for this news group. I, for one, applaud his
attempt to move it in an on topic direction.
[YMMV]
--
==
Later...