Car Show Photography

Old April 6th 19, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default Car Show Photography

Today's Central Florida All-British Car Show was great for the
spectators, but not so good for photography. Almost all of the cars
had the bonnets up so the engine could be viewed. I suppose some
people like looking at engines, but it doesn't allow photographs of
the lines of some really classy cars. The cars were parked very close
together, and every shot included some old dudes in Bermuda shorts and
black socks.

I did take one photograph of the engine compartment of a car. Lotta
stuff crammed under the bonnet of a car about the size of a baby
buggy:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...19-04-06-L.jpg
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 6th 19, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 06/04/2019 21:16, Tony Cooper wrote:
Today's Central Florida All-British Car Show was great for the
spectators, but not so good for photography. Almost all of the cars
had the bonnets up so the engine could be viewed. I suppose some
people like looking at engines, but it doesn't allow photographs of
the lines of some really classy cars. The cars were parked very close
together, and every shot included some old dudes in Bermuda shorts and
black socks.

I did take one photograph of the engine compartment of a car. Lotta
stuff crammed under the bonnet of a car about the size of a baby
buggy:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...19-04-06-L.jpg

Nice photo - but pretty far removed from the standard Minor I think. The
AC unit (on the left - is that an AC compressor?) and the twin
carburettors take up a lot of space in what is by most standards a
cavernous engine bay. And that horn isn't standard!

--
Cheers, Rob
Old April 6th 19, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-04-06 16:16, Tony Cooper wrote:
Today's Central Florida All-British Car Show was great for the
spectators, but not so good for photography. Almost all of the cars
had the bonnets up so the engine could be viewed. I suppose some
people like looking at engines, but it doesn't allow photographs of
the lines of some really classy cars. The cars were parked very close
together, and every shot included some old dudes in Bermuda shorts and
black socks.

I did take one photograph of the engine compartment of a car. Lotta
stuff crammed under the bonnet of a car about the size of a baby
buggy:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...19-04-06-L.jpg

Probably used very little fuel too...

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old April 6th 19, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 21:52:28 +0100, RJH wrote:

[...]

The 1948 Austin A-40 I owned when I was in college had room in the
engine compartment to stand on each side of the engine.

The one in the photo is highly-modified. Just under the bonnet,
though. Nothing external.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 6th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 22:31:45 +0100, David in Devon
wrote:

On 06/04/2019 21:16, Tony Cooper wrote:
Today's Central Florida All-British Car Show was great for the
spectators, but not so good for photography. Almost all of the cars
had the bonnets up so the engine could be viewed. I suppose some
people like looking at engines, but it doesn't allow photographs of
the lines of some really classy cars. The cars were parked very close
together, and every shot included some old dudes in Bermuda shorts and
black socks.

I did take one photograph of the engine compartment of a car. Lotta
stuff crammed under the bonnet of a car about the size of a baby
buggy:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...19-04-06-L.jpg

*THIS* is a *REAL* star of British engineering!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

What's not to like?!! ;-)

What's not to like? How about the fact that we would have to log in to
Facebook to see it? Why would we want to do that?
Old April 6th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 16:16:29 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

Today's Central Florida All-British Car Show was great for the
spectators, but not so good for photography. Almost all of the cars
had the bonnets up so the engine could be viewed. I suppose some
people like looking at engines, but it doesn't allow photographs of
the lines of some really classy cars. The cars were parked very close
together, and every shot included some old dudes in Bermuda shorts and
black socks.

Sounds like every car show I went to in Nevada. I don't know how you
can get away from that.
Old April 7th 19, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 6, 2019, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

Today's Central Florida All-British Car Show was great for the
spectators, but not so good for photography. Almost all of the cars
had the bonnets up so the engine could be viewed. I suppose some
people like looking at engines, but it doesn't allow photographs of
the lines of some really classy cars. The cars were parked very close
together, and every shot included some old dudes in Bermuda shorts and
black socks.

I did take one photograph of the engine compartment of a car. Lotta
stuff crammed under the bonnet of a car about the size of a baby
buggy:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...19-04-06-L.jpg

It sounds as though you were faced with the typical local car show problem,
cars packed into spaces which prevent any appreciative viewing, and/or
photography.

Car shows are one of those events where a wide, or even ultra-wide angle
angle lens can prove to be useful.

In these examples a 14mm f/2.8 and a 16mm f/1.4.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dCf3hbN/0/3adc8afa/O/i-dCf3hbN.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-g4MvNs3/0/b8a9c012/O/i-g4MvNs3.jpg

As far as the Morris under hood/bonnet shot goes, that car would not get too
far in a Concours show as there doesn’t seem to be much beyond the valve
cover which is original. For starters the twin SU carbs + intake manifold,
non-original fuel filter+line, add-on AC, and alternator are not OEM, and
weren’t even original options. As for the horn, and the red “Dodgeball”
thing in the upper left...

Savageduck

Old April 7th 19, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 6, 2019, RJH wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I had the same take.

Savageduck

Old April 7th 19, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 4/6/2019 9:56 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

The TD brings back memories. I had a TF-1500 way back when.
Sadly before I started doing photography, thus no documentation. :-(
--
==
Later...

Old April 7th 19, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Apr 2019 18:56:03 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

I attended this same show a few years ago when it was held in an area
with a quite a few trees. The shadows, as seen in your photo, drove
me nuts. One part of a car would be in shadow, and part not in
shadow. There would be a limb's shadow right across a car.

This year they were in a new location which is a huge open area. No
tree shadows, but excessive glare from Florida sun. I didn't carry my
bag into the event and didn't have a polarizing filter with me.

I don't like shots with a lot of background clutter, and that's always
the problem with car shows. Usually I'll shoot close-ups of grills or
wheels or something, but nothing interesting today.

As far as the Morris under hood/bonnet shot goes, that car would not get too
far in a Concours show as there doesnt seem to be much beyond the valve
cover which is original. For starters the twin SU carbs + intake manifold,
non-original fuel filter+line, add-on AC, and alternator are not OEM, and
werent even original options. As for the horn, and the red Dodgeball
thing in the upper left...

This was a local event. There are different categories of entrants.
Some enter to be judged, and some enter just to show off their babies.
I forget what the area was labeled where this car was, but it was not
in an area for judging. Most of the areas were for makes of cars, but
this area was mixed.

I don't even think they had "judges". I noticed a box where
spectators turned in ballots for the "People's Choice". There were
about 200 cars there.

This was not the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida