Flickering Screen Lumix DMC-ZS1

Old March 26th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

Default Flickering Screen Lumix DMC-ZS1

For months now, the LCD screen on this camera often flickers, and is next to impossible to use
in sunlight. It doesn't seem to matter what temperature or humidity, or whether the camera is
in picture-taking mode, or picture viewing mode, or just showing the various menus.

Intensional, gentle bumps haven't helped (don't seem to make any difference), and it seems to
be slowly getting worse--at times down-right difficult to use the camera.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem with digital cameras, and if someone knows of a trick
to fix.

--
croy
Old March 26th 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , croy
wrote:

For months now, the LCD screen on this camera often flickers, and is next to
impossible to use
in sunlight. It doesn't seem to matter what temperature or humidity, or
whether the camera is
in picture-taking mode, or picture viewing mode, or just showing the various
menus.

Intensional, gentle bumps haven't helped (don't seem to make any difference),
and it seems to
be slowly getting worse--at times down-right difficult to use the camera.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem with digital cameras, and if
someone knows of a trick to fix.

it's not common. your camera is defective. replace it (it's not worth
repairing).
Old March 26th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 26, 2019, croy wrote
(in ):

For months now, the LCD screen on this camera often flickers, and is next to
impossible to use
in sunlight. It doesn't seem to matter what temperature or humidity, or
whether the camera is
in picture-taking mode, or picture viewing mode, or just showing the various
menus.

Intensional, gentle bumps haven't helped (don't seem to make any difference),
and it seems to
be slowly getting worse--at times down-right difficult to use the camera.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem with digital cameras, and if
someone knows of a trick
to fix.

Whatever the cause of your LCD problem, this is a dying 11 year old camera,
and it would not be cost effective to repair given a current value of $10-$50
depending on condition and/or seller. You might be able to fine a used
replacement, but that is not my recommendation.

You would be better off buying a new budget compact camera, or settling on a
current smartphone camera, which today will out perform your ailing DMC-ZS1.

Savageduck

Old March 27th 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:22:01 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think that this OP is a candidate for an
advanced M4/3, APS-C, or FF system.

You are not wrong. This is my backpacking camera. It is wonderfully small and light, two
things that a backpacker would be enamored with.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

--
croy
Old April 1st 19, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 3/26/2019 4:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:

You might be able to fine a used
replacement, but that is not my recommendation.

Remnants of your career.

--
PeterN
Old April 2nd 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 1, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 3/26/2019 4:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:

You might be able to fine a used
replacement, but that is not my recommendation.

Remnants of your career.

If you mean that trying to resurrect that compact dinosaur would be criminal,
perhaps. Otherwise what would you suggest?

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 1, 2019, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 01 Apr 2019 16:11:49 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 1, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 3/26/2019 4:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:

You might be able to fine a used
replacement, but that is not my recommendation.

Remnants of your career.

If you mean that trying to resurrect that compact dinosaur would be
criminal, perhaps. Otherwise what would you suggest?

It was a spelling check...

OK! Fine! Fine! Fine! ...but the OP still has an 11 year old compact which is
going through its death convulsions.

Savageduck

Old April 2nd 19, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 4/1/2019 7:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 1, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 3/26/2019 4:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:

You might be able to fine a used
replacement, but that is not my recommendation.

Remnants of your career.

If you mean that trying to resurrect that compact dinosaur would be criminal,
perhaps. Otherwise what would you suggest?

Typo! ;-)

--
PeterN