Grand Canyon tourist falls 1,000 feet to his death while taking photos

Old April 12th 19, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Grand Canyon tourist falls 1,000 feet to his death while taking photos

On Apr 11, 2019, RichA wrote
(in ):

Now watch; do-gooders in love with control will want to keep people 20ft from
the edge from now on.

The installation of a railing was suggested after the double dive at Taft
Point in Yosemite NP. The park service decline stating that their job was to
protect the wilderness, not to turn it into a safe playground for those who
chose to ignore the many warning signs. That pair of honeymooners proved to
have drunk a bit more than was smart when shooting selfies that close to the
edge.

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/31/cou...elfie-at-same-
yosemite-spot-as-viral-photo/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...died-yosemite-
fall-intoxicated-report/2631870002/
Savageduck

Old April 12th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 12/04/2019 05:48, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 11, 2019, RichA wrote
(in ):

Now watch; do-gooders in love with control will want to keep people 20ft from
the edge from now on.

The installation of a railing was suggested after the double dive at Taft
Point in Yosemite NP. The park service decline stating that their job was to
protect the wilderness, not to turn it into a safe playground for those who
chose to ignore the many warning signs.

A rare bit of sanity in these days of the precautionary principle and
political correctness.
Old April 12th 19, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 4/12/2019 11:48 AM, newshound wrote:
On 12/04/2019 05:48, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 11, 2019, RichA wrote
(in ):

Now watch; do-gooders in love with control will want to keep people
20ft from
the edge from now on.

The installation of a railing was suggested after the double dive at Taft
Point in Yosemite NP. The park service decline stating that their job
was to
protect the wilderness, not to turn it into a safe playground for
those who
chose to ignore the many warning signs.

A rare bit of sanity in these days of the precautionary principle and
political correctness.

Yup!
I say this from almost being a victim of my own carelessness, while
climbing down a mountain to catch a sunrise. I was so engrossed in
trying to capture the image, that I did not look where I was walking.
Had I been seriously injured, I would not blame anyone but myself.

On more than one occasion while shooting surfers I have been soaked by
incoming water. Again, all consequences from those incidents were my fault.

Without getting into a long list, there are circumstances where I would
be entitled to a warning.

--
PeterN
Old April 12th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 12, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Silly, silly, silly...

On more than one occasion while shooting surfers I have been soaked by
incoming water. Again, all consequences from those incidents were my fault.

I don’t know about your beaches on the East Coast, but out here on the West
Coast from Santa Barbara all the way up through Oregon and Washington we have
folks washed off rocks and drowned by rogue waves. Especially when we have
dramatic Pacific storms. So far in 2019 we have had 7 surf zone deaths.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/woman-...log-caught-in-
sneaker-wave_2852146.html

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2...near-trinidad-
sweeps-man-his-death-birthday/3290903002/

https://www.apnews.com/29840e657bad418b8463e2a82fc3eaee

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/...eadly-sneaker-
waves-expected-this-weekend/

Old April 13th 19, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 4/12/2019 6:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 12, 2019, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

West coast waves are quite different from east coast waves.
Rogue waves are more likely on the west coast for a number
of reasons. Then too, unexpected waves can happen in any
large body of water.
[YMMV]
--
==
Later...
Old April 13th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 13/04/2019 00:54, Ron C wrote:
On 4/12/2019 6:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:

West coast waves are quite different from east coast waves.
Rogue waves are more likely on the west coast for a number
of reasons. Then too, unexpected waves can happen in any
large body of water.
[YMMV]

Basically because the weather comes from the west, in the Northern
hemisphere. We occasionally get people washed off rocks during storms on
the south and west coast of England.
Old April 14th 19, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:52:56 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 13/04/2019 00:54, Ron C wrote:
On 4/12/2019 6:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:

West coast waves are quite different from east coast waves.
Rogue waves are more likely on the west coast for a number
of reasons. Then too, unexpected waves can happen in any
large body of water.
[YMMV]

Basically because the weather comes from the west, in the Northern
hemisphere. We occasionally get people washed off rocks during storms on
the south and west coast of England.

It comes from the west in the Southern hemisphere too. We also get
people washed off the rocks when fishing. A high proprtion of these
are of Pacific island descent. You would think these people would be
familiar with the sea but most of them have grown up on islands
surrounded by sheltering coral reefs.

Eric Stevens
Old April 15th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

[...]

If you mean "silly" as used in the UK, I agree.

On more than one occasion while shooting surfers I have been soaked by
incoming water. Again, all consequences from those incidents were my fault.

I don’t know about your beaches on the East Coast, but out here on the West
Coast from Santa Barbara all the way up through Oregon and Washington we have
folks washed off rocks and drowned by rogue waves. Especially when we have
dramatic Pacific storms. So far in 2019 we have had 7 surf zone deaths.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/woman-...log-caught-in-
sneaker-wave_2852146.html

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2...near-trinidad-
sweeps-man-his-death-birthday/3290903002/

https://www.apnews.com/29840e657bad418b8463e2a82fc3eaee

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/...eadly-sneaker-
waves-expected-this-weekend/

We have some individual beaches like that in Maine. I am not familiar
with any further South. I was actually just referring to sandy beaches,
where I was concentrating on taking pictures of the surfers, and paid no
attention to the probability of getting wet. In warmer weather that's
only mildly annoying. On a cool damp day where I have to walk a few
blocks to the car, and ruin plans for the rest of the day, it's a real
PITA. If I have plans for the rest of the day, I put a dry set of
clothes in the car.

--
PeterN