Nikon Launches Two New Wireless Cameras: Coolpix S50 and S50c

Old February 21st 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rishil

Default Nikon Launches Two New Wireless Cameras: Coolpix S50 and S50c

It's about time there were Wi-Fi cams available for those of us who've
been longing for the next generation to follow up Kodak's EasyShare-
One, Canon's PowerShot SD430 and Nikon's own Coolpix P1 and P2. nikon
has added two new digital cameras to the Nikon Coolpix Style Series
line-up.....

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/02/...s-cameras.html

Enjoy!

Old February 21st 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 21 Feb 2007 10:22:25 -0800, rishil wrote:

It's about time there were Wi-Fi cams available for those of us who've
been longing for the next generation to follow up Kodak's EasyShare-
One, Canon's PowerShot SD430 and Nikon's own Coolpix P1 and P2. nikon
has added two new digital cameras to the Nikon Coolpix Style Series
line-up.....

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/02/...s-cameras.html

And if anyone wants some more information than the bit of press
release that rishil provided on his/her blog, Nikon has brochures of
its new cameras than can be downloaded. More interesting than the
two little wifi-cams (S50 and S50c) is Nikon's Coolpix P5000 which
has a 10mp sensor, optical VF, optical VR, P S A and M shooting
modes, flash hotshoe for the SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, high res. LCD
display and up to ISO 3200 (hah!). YMMV

S50:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...pix_S50_2p.pdf

S50c:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...ix_S50c_2p.pdf

P5000:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...x_P5000_2p.pdf

S200:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...ix_S200_2p.pdf

S500:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...ix_S500_2p.pdf

Old February 21st 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

"ASAAR" wrote in message

And if anyone wants some more information than the bit of press
release that rishil provided on his/her blog, Nikon has brochures of
its new cameras than can be downloaded. More interesting than the
two little wifi-cams (S50 and S50c) is Nikon's Coolpix P5000 which
has a 10mp sensor, optical VF, optical VR, P S A and M shooting
modes, flash hotshoe for the SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, high res. LCD
display and up to ISO 3200 (hah!). YMMV

You bet. I hope Nikon continues to expand and refine the Pxxxx line. Just
the fact that they've put a hot shoe on that one shows they may be getting
serious about compacts again. They haven't had a hot shoe on a Coolpix since
the 8800.

And that SB-400 is a neat looking little bugger. Just ordered one this
morning. It should be perfect for my 5400 especially, which gets awfully
top-heavy with an SB-600 on it.

Neil

Old February 21st 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

If only it had a 5MP sensor instead of the 10 (with corresponding
decrease in noise levels or increase in ISO), it would start to get
interesting. Though I think it'd look *really* strange with my SB-800
on top of it. Isn't the SB-800 about three times the size of the camera?
Old February 21st 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:17:30 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
its new cameras than can be downloaded. More interesting than the
two little wifi-cams (S50 and S50c) is Nikon's Coolpix P5000 which
has a 10mp sensor, optical VF, optical VR, P S A and M shooting
modes, flash hotshoe for the SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, high res. LCD
display and up to ISO 3200 (hah!). YMMV

S500:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...ix_S500_2p.pdf

If only it had a 5MP sensor instead of the 10 (with corresponding
decrease in noise levels or increase in ISO), it would start to get
interesting. Though I think it'd look *really* strange with my SB-800
on top of it. Isn't the SB-800 about three times the size of the camera?

Canon, not Nikon, but same basic idea:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/ca...G7-w-580EX.jpg

-dms
Old February 21st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:17:30 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

If only it had a 5MP sensor instead of the 10 (with corresponding
decrease in noise levels or increase in ISO), it would start to get
interesting. Though I think it'd look *really* strange with my SB-800
on top of it. Isn't the SB-800 about three times the size of the camera?

You reverse it so the flash acts as a big handle for the camera
which sits above the SB-800. You're right. It would be
extremely awkward, but when I've had to attach my old SB-26 to a
small digicam I used an old Stroboframe bracket with a cord
connecting the camera's hot-shoe to the flash. It not only improved
the balance, it made it easier to hold and the additional height
practically guaranteed that there'd be no redeye! Even though the
P5000 doesn't have the 5mp sensor you'd like, the brochure notes
that "ISO 3200 is available only for image sizes of 5M (2592 x 1944)
or smaller" so perhaps it's meeting your request half-way. I hope
the sensor is at least 1/1.8". Any smaller and I'd think that it
would be straining mighty hard to get a usable ISO 800.

Old February 21st 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
. net...

If only it had a 5MP sensor instead of the 10 (with corresponding decrease
in noise levels or increase in ISO), it would start to get interesting.

I agree, but judging by the ISO numbers offered I wouldn't expect noise to
be a problem at more usual settings. Still, the pixel-cramming race is
getting pretty silly.

Though I think it'd look *really* strange with my SB-800 on top of it.
Isn't the SB-800 about three times the size of the camera?

Just about, I'd guess. I wouldn't even put my SB-800 on my 5400, which is
surely a larger camera than the P5000. The 5400 looks ridiculous enough with
the SB-600 on it.

The new SB-400 is the answer to that problem. Granted, it's awfully
feature-deprived compared to the larger Speedlights but there's only so much
you can fit in a unit that size. At least it tilts, is much farther away
from the lens axis and more powerful than the built-in, and doesn't use up
camera power.

Neil

Old February 21st 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:44:35 -0800, ASAAR wrote
(in article ):

On 21 Feb 2007 10:22:25 -0800, rishil wrote:

More interesting than the
two little wifi-cams (S50 and S50c) is Nikon's Coolpix P5000 which
has a 10mp sensor, optical VF, optical VR, P S A and M shooting
modes, flash hotshoe for the SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, high res. LCD
display and up to ISO 3200 (hah!). YMMV

It would be even nicer with a RAW mode. I agree, though, that 10 megapixels
is too much for a point and shoot.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 21st 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Though I think it'd look *really* strange with my SB-800
on top of it. Isn't the SB-800 about three times the size of the camera?

Canon, not Nikon, but same basic idea:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/ca...G7-w-580EX.jpg

Yeah, that's about what I was envisioning (and I did mean 3x by volume,
so it's not totally crazy).
Old February 21st 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

ASAAR wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:17:30 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

If only it had a 5MP sensor instead of the 10 (with corresponding
decrease in noise levels or increase in ISO), it would start to get
interesting. Though I think it'd look *really* strange with my SB-800
on top of it. Isn't the SB-800 about three times the size of the camera?

You reverse it so the flash acts as a big handle for the camera
which sits above the SB-800.

I suppose; works for big lenses!

You're right. It would be
extremely awkward, but when I've had to attach my old SB-26 to a
small digicam I used an old Stroboframe bracket with a cord
connecting the camera's hot-shoe to the flash. It not only improved
the balance, it made it easier to hold and the additional height
practically guaranteed that there'd be no redeye!

I would use the SB-8000 in bounce mode mostly, for better lighting and
no redeye.

Even though the
P5000 doesn't have the 5mp sensor you'd like, the brochure notes
that "ISO 3200 is available only for image sizes of 5M (2592 x 1944)
or smaller" so perhaps it's meeting your request half-way. I hope
the sensor is at least 1/1.8". Any smaller and I'd think that it
would be straining mighty hard to get a usable ISO 800.

Yes, one can always downsample to reduce ridiculous resolutions to
useful ones. But there's overhead circuitry on the sensor that's
per-pixel, so you'd get even better results if the sensor was a sane
resolution to begin with.

(10MP isn't *inherently* insane, it's not completely ridiculous in my
D200 for example; just that in a snapshot camera I'd find 5MP and much
lower noise more useful than 10MP.)