Camera Ratio for Prints

Old March 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Camera Ratio for Prints

I currently have an old sony camera that is set at 1856x1232 or 3:2
ratio so it fits picture frames. The cameras I see now look like they
are 4:3 ratio 2048x1536 and I wanted to find out if I send these to
Costco for development on photographic paper if it'll fit in the frame
or if it'll need to be cropped ? if it needs cropping then are their
s/w programs that can do this automatically and then I can send these
modified files to the store.

Thanks,
Pete

Old March 1st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Peter wrote:
I currently have an old sony camera that is set at 1856x1232 or 3:2
ratio so it fits picture frames. The cameras I see now look like they
are 4:3 ratio 2048x1536 and I wanted to find out if I send these to
Costco for development on photographic paper if it'll fit in the frame
or if it'll need to be cropped ? if it needs cropping then are their
s/w programs that can do this automatically and then I can send these
modified files to the store.

Costco will do the crop for you, but it might not be the best crop for
the photo.
IrfanView can to batch cropping, here again it might not be what you
want but at least you can look at the photos before getting them
printed, then you have hand crop any that did not get cropped the way
you would like.

I use Photoshop Elements to crop, once it is set up for 2 x 3 aspect
ratio it is very easy to crop a large number of photos.

I believe you can also tell Costco not to crop and then they add some
white border to the photo to make it come out right.

Scott

Old March 2nd 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Peter wrote:
I currently have an old sony camera that is set at 1856x1232 or 3:2
ratio so it fits picture frames. The cameras I see now look like they
are 4:3 ratio 2048x1536 and I wanted to find out if I send these to

In addition to cropping in software before sending out (as several
people have mentioned), some cameras (such as my old Nikon Coolpix 5000)
offer a 3:2 shooting mode, so you can have them pre-cropped at time of
exposure.

Bob
Old March 2nd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

bob wrote:
Peter wrote:
I currently have an old sony camera that is set at 1856x1232 or 3:2
ratio so it fits picture frames. The cameras I see now look like they
are 4:3 ratio 2048x1536 and I wanted to find out if I send these to

In addition to cropping in software before sending out (as several
people have mentioned), some cameras (such as my old Nikon Coolpix 5000)
offer a 3:2 shooting mode, so you can have them pre-cropped at time of
exposure.

Bob

I never used the 3:2 mode, I hate the idea of loosing pixels and if I
want to print an 8 x 10 I have to crop in any event. What would be
more useful IMO is a mode where the crop lines are shown in the
viewfinder.

The best solution would be for the companies that make the printing
machines to add some more sizes, like 6 x 4.5 inches. Why this is not
an option already is a bit of a mystery

Scott

Old March 2nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

The best solution would be for the companies that make the printing
machines to add some more sizes, like 6 x 4.5 inches. Why this is not
an option already is a bit of a mystery

Those online printers use paper that is a set width. If you want an
off-sized print, I suppose that you could order an uncropped image to be
printed on a larger-sized print. You'd have to use a paper cutter and crop
off the white spaces when you received the finished prints. A pain, but
still possible.

Old March 2nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

I never used the 3:2 mode, I hate the idea of loosing pixels and if I
want to print an 8 x 10 I have to crop in any event. What would be
more useful IMO is a mode where the crop lines are shown in the
viewfinder.

The best solution would be for the companies that make the printing
machines to add some more sizes, like 6 x 4.5 inches. Why this is not
an option already is a bit of a mystery

The European paper sizes (A4, A3, etc.) are almost
perfect for printing images with a 3:2 aspect ratio.

Also: "Super B" size (13x19") when cut in half gives
two sheets 9.5" x 13" -- handy for printing 2:3 aspect
ratio images.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 2nd 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

rafe b wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

I never used the 3:2 mode, I hate the idea of loosing pixels and if I
want to print an 8 x 10 I have to crop in any event. What would be
more useful IMO is a mode where the crop lines are shown in the
viewfinder.

The best solution would be for the companies that make the printing
machines to add some more sizes, like 6 x 4.5 inches. Why this is not
an option already is a bit of a mystery

The European paper sizes (A4, A3, etc.) are almost
perfect for printing images with a 3:2 aspect ratio.

Also: "Super B" size (13x19") when cut in half gives
two sheets 9.5" x 13" -- handy for printing 2:3 aspect
ratio images.

I am thinking more of the printer that print on photographic paper. I
really don't see a limitation to printing 3:4 other then an industry
that is being slow to change to meet current needs.

Scott

Old March 2nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeremy wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

The best solution would be for the companies that make the printing
machines to add some more sizes, like 6 x 4.5 inches. Why this is not
an option already is a bit of a mystery

Those online printers use paper that is a set width. If you want an
off-sized print, I suppose that you could order an uncropped image to be
printed on a larger-sized print. You'd have to use a paper cutter and
crop
off the white spaces when you received the finished prints. A pain, but
still possible.

So if the roll is at say 6 inches width make the prints 6 x 4.5 instead
of 6 x 4.
There is a huge shift from 2:3 photos to 3:4.There is a huge shift from
2:3 photos to 3:4. At some time the companies making the photographic
printer will have to take this into account. I just hope they continue
to offer 2:3 prints as well as 3:4.

Of course I would love to see them offer some 1:2 sizes for those of us
that do panoramic photos.

Scott

Your requirements are probably better met by doing your own printing.
Online printers offer low prices, quick turnaround and they require volume
business to operate using that business model. OFOTO/Kodak Gallery is
charging $0.15 per 4x6 print, which is about half of what one would pay by
printing on one of Kodak's printer docks (I believe 100 sheets of paper and
an ink cartridge go for $29.99). At those prices, it would be unreasonable
to expect the online processors to offer custom sizes. And, if they DID
offer custom sizes, at substantially higher prices, how many sales would
they make? Everyone would be complaining that the price was out of line.

Old March 2nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jeremy wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeremy wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I guess my point is the any more 3:4 is the standard size photo, 2:3 is
getting to be a bit
of an off size. At some point they will have to offer print in the
more standard aspect ratio. BTW I have do have a camera that shoots in
2:3 but this is getting to be a pretty much low volume ratio overall.

Scott